4x4 advise

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

No I wouldn't like to tow anything with a Mini - the central exhaust on most models eliminates that option anyway.

We tow our van with my C270 CDI - and coming back from the van dealership after it's annual service - we averaged 41 mpg for the return journey of 55 miles (50+ solo for the same journey out).

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert - the "dig" was at those who try to demand that we should all drive arround in little euroboxes as this would be kinder to the enviroment. What those of us that require a vehicle to do multiple functions obviously has not occured to them.

As for 60mpg - that is great - about what the Toyota Yaris can achieve if driven carefully which of course has the same engine.

Road tests have said overall consumption is nearer 45mpg - still good but at 99.9p per litre - ouch!

So a 20mpg V8 on LPG at 43p per litre - big grin!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

The point with the Montego was that Rover and BMW Rover never badged it as a Rover like they did the 216 or the 45 the used a pseudo badge but spent two nearly tree years trying to flog all the pressings and designs to India,

Clive I'M NOT BEING B "too parochial in your analysis" because Ford has already closed some plants on both N American and Mexico and announced only recently that they are to close a further 20 odd plants.

Remember the x type is made in a Ford plant and Browns lane is over 50 years old and the question mark is over it's production not that of Merseyside.

It's not an insurmountable idea that the new Freelander could effectively be under licence by Ford after all the new Fiat 4x4 is made by Suzuki and is purely badge engineering not a merger of the two companies.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Andrew, cliff has posted sound advice. Some other posts are obviously biased, based more on ego!

I would always refer to the backroom on the honest john web site for unbiased information.

I own a 2.2dci xtrail and I love it.

However ive had the intercooler changed due to a minor oil leak!

This problem is posted on the honest john website.

It will tow your van with ease, returning around 30mpg towing. Around 39mpg motorway solo.

All cars can go wrong. But it is a matter of fact that some cars are more problematic than others. You stand more chance of trouble free motoring by avoiding the well-documented lemons.

As cliff says do your own research. I would never take the risk of buying a vehicle with a poor reliability record.

This includes the freelander and the discovery.

I tow a bailey senator Vermont about 1333kg full weight. It has a max tow of 2000kg, a kerb weight of around 1600kg. And can take a 100kg nose weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well if you are going for lannies The only one to go for is the defender, I have a 300tdi 110, it will go places the rest get stuck in. The 300tdi has not got the fly by wire gas peddle of later models, which can cost you

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

The point with the Montego was that Rover and BMW Rover never badged it as a Rover like they did the 216 or the 45 the used a pseudo badge but spent two nearly tree years trying to flog all the pressings and designs to India,

Clive I'M NOT BEING B "too parochial in your analysis" because Ford has already closed some plants on both N American and Mexico and announced only recently that they are to close a further 20 odd plants.

Remember the x type is made in a Ford plant and Browns lane is over 50 years old and the question mark is over it's production not that of Merseyside.

It's not an insurmountable idea that the new Freelander could effectively be under licence by Ford after all the new Fiat 4x4 is made by Suzuki and is purely badge engineering not a merger of the two companies.
LMAO!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well if you are going for lannies The only one to go for is the defender, I have a 300tdi 110, it will go places the rest get stuck in. The 300tdi has not got the fly by wire gas peddle of later models, which can cost you

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
John,

Well done, at last someone's mentioned a real LR that works (Range Rovers also fall into this cat) and doesn't cost a fortune to fix, partly because they never went wrong.

I knew someone who used to deliver plant machinery with one and was convinced that he could tow four tonne easily (which it actually did ) legally.

I used to use a supplier who used to build "SPV" vehicles and it was always amazing to see their portfolio of products based on a 110 or a 127 chassis. Things like a platform lift that could reach motorway lights, rail based inspection vehicles.

Like Clive said a bit more comfort would go amiss but I did see one which had all the Leather kit walnut trim and looked as good inside as a G - Wagen but I guses for a 50 plus year old design which is what it is it's stood the test of time rather well .

MH

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
John,

Well done, at last someone's mentioned a real LR that works (Range Rovers also fall into this cat) and doesn't cost a fortune to fix, partly because they never went wrong.

I knew someone who used to deliver plant machinery with one and was convinced that he could tow four tonne easily (which it actually did ) legally.

I used to use a supplier who used to build "SPV" vehicles and it was always amazing to see their portfolio of products based on a 110 or a 127 chassis. Things like a platform lift that could reach motorway lights, rail based inspection vehicles.

Like Clive said a bit more comfort would go amiss but I did see one which had all the Leather kit walnut trim and looked as good inside as a G - Wagen but I guses for a 50 plus year old design which is what it is it's stood the test of time rather well .

MH

yep, the slogon on the back of lr 90s and 110s should read.

you maybe faster than me, but i can go anywhere......

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
keep your Picasso would be my advice. great engine the hdi. ok you may get stuck now and again but as an everyday vehicle its better to be in than an expensive to run 4x4. been there, done it, got a eurobox now instead of a 4x4 , double the mpg, nicer to drive,still pull the same caravan with no effort, easier to park and not got bogged down towing as yet.if i do i`ll get someone with a 4x4 to tow me out... for me it was a no brainer , your circumstances may be different to mine but its the best move i made.

good luck

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
keep your Picasso would be my advice. great engine the hdi. ok you may get stuck now and again but as an everyday vehicle its better to be in than an expensive to run 4x4. been there, done it, got a eurobox now instead of a 4x4 , double the mpg, nicer to drive,still pull the same caravan with no effort, easier to park and not got bogged down towing as yet.if i do i`ll get someone with a 4x4 to tow me out... for me it was a no brainer , your circumstances may be different to mine but its the best move i made.

good luck
Thanks for all the advise,after lots of looking around i have bought a diesel x-trail sport,i did need to up the budget a bit but feel i got a good deal,picking it up next friday. ta andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts