4x4 diesel

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I have just got an 1997 Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 diesel and have a couple of questions.
First thing in the morning I start him up and I do get some blue/white smoke but this soon stops and is OK for the rest of the day, is this normal?
The other thing is the 4x4 shift, do I put it in the 4 wheel drive when going along or do I stop first and then put in to 4H .
If there is any one that has owned a Jeep would appreciate any tips.
Reg and Pat

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I cannot comment directly on the Jeep, the smoke sounds like it could possibly be overfuelling. Does the car start immediately or does it need quite a bit of cranking? Are the glow-plugs working properly? If it's only doing it the first time you start or when the engine is cold, that's where I'd look first of all.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When you start the Jeep from cold switch on the ignition but don't operate the starter motor straight away and don't pump the throttle.
After about 5-10 seconds you should hear a very faint 'click' if you listen carefully. This will be the glowplugs which will have reached the correct temperature and you should then operate the starter motor. I don't know about the Jeep but most diesel engined vehicles also have an indicator light on the dashboard, when it goes out the glow plugs are up to temperature. (The handbook will show which light it should be.)
The Jeep should start straight away without too much smoke (the smoke is unburned fuel)
If the problem persists after you have followed the procedure that I've described either the glow plugs or the glow plug relay are faulty.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
When you start the Jeep from cold switch on the ignition but don't operate the starter motor straight away.

When I start up it bleeps 5 times and I remember the sales lad saying it is doing a computer test.
So what I will do is first thing in the morning after taking the dog for a walk is, switch on and wait till it has done its testing, then see if it smokes, with fingers crossed.
I still am not sure about this 4 wheel drive selector (just in case Pat lets me do some off roading) but I should know as last year I had a Mitsubishi Pajero and did take it on Salisbury Plain, great tug.
Thanks all for help Reg
PS. No hand book

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
With some 4x4's you have to stop , others are shift on the move. Not quite sure about the 97 Jepp Chorkeeshowerever there are several jeep forums which may be able to help. Link below to one.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine had a similar problem, if he left the car overnight or about 5/6 hours he got smoke from the exhaust, it turned out to be a small split in the gasket on one of the injectors,

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The smoke is normal if using supermarket fuel. Alternatively use some Redex in the tank and afterwards use shell or BP fuel. On our Toyota you need to slow down for it to engage 4 WD and can use it up to 50MPH. Other vehicles you need to stop.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
"The smoke is normal if using supermarket fuel. "

Dis regard the above statement, there is absoletly nothing "normal" about super market fuel making your car smoke!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As the owner of a fairly old diesel 4x4 I have to agree with Jonny G, supermarket fuel will have zero bearing on whether your car emits grey smoke when it is started from cold.
Many drivers of older diesel powered cars who don't cover too many miles sometimes use fuel additive injector cleaner from time to time but you need to identify what is causing the smoke which won't be cured by fuel additives.
From your description Reg either you haven't allowed sufficient time for the glow plugs to operate or they are not working as they should.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
For some reason I cannot acces to edit. You can try http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/bg-44k-for-petrol/30/ as it has some good reviews.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Reg and Pat.
When you say the car "bleeps" 5 times......are the seatbelts engaged?
Just a thought,but my CRV "beeps" 5 times unless the seatbelts are properly engaged.
Adrian

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
For some reason I cannot acces to edit. You can try http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/bg-44k-for-petrol/30/ as it has some good reviews.
indeed have herd good reports on the Ford ST site, surfer. personally would never use the stuff as it a very strong cleaner and being as i cannot see how clean or dirty my injectors are and the area around them, I would not want the stuff moving stuck on cak through my very expensive and delicate nozzles where it could actually cause damage

PS concering the smoke on start up, assuming the car has been serviced of late and has clean air filter and fuel filter........
Also a fualty EGR valve can lead to smoking

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi Pat,i wouldnt be to concerned about the smoke,bearing in mind most diesels from that period smoked on start up.The engine fitted is actually not a jeep unit but an Italian VM indirect injection unit(425).A bit agricultural to speak,but very reliable compared to todays crop which is a good thing.These things will smoke due to the design of them,as long as there is no smoke when warm(except for black) and it starts on a really cold day forget about it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Surfer said:
The smoke is normal if using supermarket fuel. Alternatively use some Redex in the tank and afterwards use shell or BP fuel. On our Toyota you need to slow down for it to engage 4 WD and can use it up to 50MPH. Other vehicles you need to stop.
Rubbish.
i only use cheap diesel and never get white smoke on startup.
I got 42mpg yesterday on tesco fuel, traveling from Newcastle to Sheffield.
With a 171bhp xtrail.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I have some good new (for me that is), I turned on the key and there is a panel light indicating that the glow plugs are worming up, wait a few seconds for this to go out then started the truck, yippee no smoke (well just a small bit).
My problem is it did not have a book with it and did not know what all the dash lights was for, just found out how to turn on the dash panel lights.
When I get my number plate fitted to the van will give it a trip down the M27 to see how it pulls.
Pat can not wait to have a go but she has stubbed her toe and as the Jeep is a manuel and will have to use her left foot it may make her eyes water a bit but she has had a quick go just to get the feel of it.
Parksy - Moderator I used to have a Mitsubishi Parjo and we both miss it.
Thanks all Reg and Pat

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Reg and Pat,

Glad you have sorted the smoking issue.

The link that Surfer provides is an addititve manufacturers web site and full of advertisers hype. Such sites should always be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

Check on Ebay for Jeep handbook, you sometimes find them up for sale.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We love our Pajero Reg, we owned a K plate 2.5 swb TD for seven years and it recently passed the MOT with nothing needing to be done and no advisories, sadly we sold it but because it was in such good condition we received a great price from a private buyer.
We bought our 2.8 td Fieldmaster lwb almost a year ago, it pulls our t/a Abbey 620 as if it isn't there. Pajero's are basic, a bit thirsty but bomb proof as tugs and they are easy to maintain.
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm glad that you resolved the smoke issue, just take your time and follow the starting procedure with the glow plugs and you'll be ok.
You can download a free users guide for your Jeep Cherokee Here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts