Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Colin, I bought the 2.2 diesel X Trail as a retirement present last year. It tows my Lunar 462 like a train. On my first tow, from West Yorks to Cornwall, I saved a tank of fuel each way compared to my previous towcar, a Mazda 626, lovely car, but thirsty with the 'van on the back, and soon ran out of puff. You know the feeling, on the motorway, overtaking a HGV on a hill, seeing the hill flattening out, and struggling to complete the overtake before the truck gets back into top gear, and leaves you stuck in the middle lane like a twerp. The X Trail always has power to spare when towing, and I have to watch the speedo, as it's very easy to be nudging the 70 mark without any problem.

Joan and I both find it a comfortable vehicle to travel in, and I find the loading area excellent. As there are only two of us, I have always been able to load the heavy items in the towcar. So the awning, poles,groundsheet, two Lafuma relaxers, telly, microwave and the kitchen sink all fit (with the seats folded down,leaves the 'van clear for rest stops etc.)

We have just been to the CC site at Denham, the mileage was 180 towing, and I did a further 100 before the tank was down to a quarter full, I don't keep a scrupulous check on the fuel consumption, as I feel that if you want to go anywhere, you need the fuel to do it, and I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting. (My being a trucker since 1966 may have something to do with that)

All in all, we are delighted with the vehicle, and I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

All the best,

Barney.

Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Colin, I bought the 2.2 diesel X Trail as a retirement present last year. It tows my Lunar 462 like a train. On my first tow, from West Yorks to Cornwall, I saved a tank of fuel each way compared to my previous towcar, a Mazda 626, lovely car, but thirsty with the 'van on the back, and soon ran out of puff. You know the feeling, on the motorway, overtaking a HGV on a hill, seeing the hill flattening out, and struggling to complete the overtake before the truck gets back into top gear, and leaves you stuck in the middle lane like a twerp. The X Trail always has power to spare when towing, and I have to watch the speedo, as it's very easy to be nudging the 70 mark without any problem.

Joan and I both find it a comfortable vehicle to travel in, and I find the loading area excellent. As there are only two of us, I have always been able to load the heavy items in the towcar. So the awning, poles,groundsheet, two Lafuma relaxers, telly, microwave and the kitchen sink all fit (with the seats folded down,leaves the 'van clear for rest stops etc.)

We have just been to the CC site at Denham, the mileage was 180 towing, and I did a further 100 before the tank was down to a quarter full, I don't keep a scrupulous check on the fuel consumption, as I feel that if you want to go anywhere, you need the fuel to do it, and I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting. (My being a trucker since 1966 may have something to do with that)

All in all, we are delighted with the vehicle, and I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

All the best,

Barney.
thanks for that its very helpful

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts