5 amps on a site cant even boil a kettle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
RogerL wrote:

20 amps at 13.8v is 276 watts - add 25% for inefficiency that's 345 watts - which is 1.5 amp at 230v.

Ah, I see now: 13.5v drawn from a 20amp battery is 276watts etc.etc.

I never clicked we were talking about batteries although i did think 20amps from the ehu was overgenerous.

Oct 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks op. Couldn't choose between the two sites when booking for 12th july week and on a whim booked the council one a few months ago. Glad i did now as not only do i like bringing my kettle but a toaster too lol. If i pay extra for electric don't particularly want to waste my gas. For people who don't know both sites beside each other on the beach on north coast northern ireland. op making point that the council run site can offer better service than private run one.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
It has been discussed on here in the past regarding what specific items within the van consume and i clearly remember the charger being an average of 5 amps on full power from the mains, it allso shows the charger as fused at 10 amp in my caravan which would go along with a 5 amp possibility.

if i have the time tomorow i will put my ammeter on the van and see just what it is using whilst sat on the drive with just the fridge and charger switched on, but im off to the carribean early wed morning for some well earned sun away from this washed out country so i might not have time.

enjoy yourselves i will be back in 2 weeks.
5 Amps from the mains is appx 80-90 Amps going into the battery at peak charging, sounds high to me.

I think the 5 Amp fuse is on the DC side of the electrics and would tie up with the charging times of a typical battery better.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
On our recent trip to Oxford C&CC site there were only the one husband and wife team working as their collegues were on holiday so the poor bloke was doing 16 hours duties for the week.

Our electricity bollard went off on Saturday after the on site shop had closed so I reluctantly found the site warden and told him of the problem.

He came back with me and told me that the problem wasn't an overload but a rcd trip out.

I told him that I'd leave my electricity off except the fridge and just after he went back the guy from the motorhome next to us came out and sheepishly admitted that he thought he'd caused a problem because he'd been fiddling about with the fan heater and he'd also pressed the blue tester button on his electric consumer input switchgear.

I went back to our caravan and continued to get ready to go out when the electricity went off again.

The guy from the motorhome had plugged back in and tripped the rcd again! He wouldn't go to the site warden to explain so I had to because we were both on the same bollard and SWMBO was going barmy because of stuff in the freezer compartment.

I tracked the long suffering site warden down again and told him of our predicament and fair play to him, he turned it back on but I could see that he was getting a bit fed up with me.

I'd told him that 'it wasn't me, guv' but I'm not too sure that he believed me.

Imagine my cringing embarrasment when I got up early on the Thursday morning and put our low wattage kettle on, forgetting that SWMBO had earlier put the blown air heating on.

Doh!!

The warden was ok about it but I bet he was glad to see the back of me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts