5 Berth rear dinette models

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
hi

I am giving some consideration to switching from a rear washroom side dinette (Ranger 510/4) to a 5 berth rear dinette model - such as a Pageant Provence , or SWIFT Charisma equivilent.

There are 3 of us (1 x 5 year old) and was thinking about using the rear as a fixed bedroom for the 3 of us on our longer trips - when have the full awning up etc.

Does anyone have any experience of using this layout like this?

Are the bed cushions the same thickness / quality as the front bed or are they thinner to include the bunk cushions etc?

Is it impractical for an adult to get out from under the bunk and climb over their partner etc?

Thanks

Mat

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi MandM,

The only difference I think you will find is that the double bed size is narrower. The cushions are the same thickness as the bunk mattress is separate from the seats and is usually stored in one of the rear bed boxes when travelling. Cannot comment on ma or pa banging their head on the bunk above, as I have never tried, but there is not usually a great deal of headroom.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mat

we've got an 2008 Elddis Avante Club 505 which has the double dinner layout your aluding to.

Cant say we've considered using as you suggest but as a layout it suits us (2 adults , 1 three year old and 2 large dogs!!!).

We use the rear dinner as both a lounge/dinner in the day and then convert it to a bed for junior at night. Not used the bunk yet as we dont need to and little one is probably a bit young yet.

When the bed is made up as a double its suitable for a couple of adults and the cushions are the same as the front ones , no difference. Dont know how the bunk would work with the bed made up , to be honest I've never tried ours and I've even taken out the matress and ladder for it to save space / weight.

If I get chance I'll take a look this weekend and let you know.

We liked the 505 because the size of both lounges were bigger than some similar models , the only compromise was the size of washroom , OK for the basics but a bit cramped , but we do use site facilities more often than not anyway so no big thing.

I'd certainly recommend the 505.

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Mand M I used the lay out your talking about for 3 yrs useing the rear as a fixed bed.The bed is narrower than a normal fixed beds Id also say its not as comfortable.The thing that made us change vans though was the toilet was very tight.However,it does work and in caravanning we have to make compromises as there is no such thing as a perfect caravan.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
We have this layout currently. What your suggesting is perfectly feasible but there are a few issues such as you getting stood on every time the child gets up in the night. It wont be easy getting in and out of the bed under the bunk but depending on how much this bothers you it may or may not be an issue. With the bed up all the time there is no private area to get changed in unless you use the cramped bathroom. I have 2 kids aged 3 & 8. Currently the 3 year old has one of the side seats in the aft dinette & the older one has the upper bunk. I've just ordered the triple bunk pageant bretagne 6 berth as I think it improves upon what we have now with no extra drawbacks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi MandM

We have a Pageant Provence with the offset front lounge, there is just the two of us so we have taken the rear bunk out saving 17.5kg in towing weight)

We use the rear section as a dining area and at night as a double bed, find the bed when made up very comfy, mind you our daughter has bought us a memory foam matteress that we lay over the top of the cushions.

This leaves the front seating area as purely Tv viewng area , we used to have a fixed bed but found unless you have a twin axle the fixed bed takes up to much internal space.

Royston

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks folks for the input here.

I hadn't thought about the dressing space issue in particular. We'll go and have a good look at some vans and get the beds see what we think.

Cheers

Mat

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi M&M

We have a baileys provence and there is three of us. We used to use the rear section with the bunk, but I could not sleep under the bunk because i found it claustiphobic (sorry about spelling). We now have made that end into a fixed bed layout and our daughter sleeps at the front.

Tigger

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Only drawback there is that a) you all go to bed at the same time or b) that you put your daughter to bed & then retreat to the awning, which is fine in summer but not at the beginning/end end of season when its freezing. :-0

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We've got a double dinettelayout and love the flexibility. Haven't actually used the bunk. Generally me and OH sleep on the front lounge and 11 year old foster son gets the back double all to himself. We can pack him of to "bed" (he plays on his PSP) and close the concertina door and get some peace and quiet in the evening.

If our little grandson comes with us, me and OH get the rear double and foster son and grandson sleep on the front as singles. If foster son is in respite then we use the back as a "fixed bed" for our holiday.

Bathroom is tight though.

mel

Oct 21, 2007
Visit site
We have a 2008 5 berth sterling 530, which I chose over the 6 berth because they now are a bit longer and have a seperate shower and toilet area and plenty of space to get dressed. Was going to say there are tv points at both ends and you could put son to bed as a single in the front and could always chill on back dinette as a bed with tv etc at that end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts