50% Damp at 8 months old

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Well its been about 3 months since the damp repair was completed.
I have checked it today and am still getting readings of 30% in the original area and am now getting readings of 25% in other areas nearby, it would appear that it's only reducing by spreading out.
I wasn't expecting it to be dry as the floor is covered on both top and bottom.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
As a comparison our van had its 3 year service yesterday. The damp report contains 46 readings from all around the van (both sides, front, back, floor and ceiling) but I notice there are no readings listed behind or under the sealed shower unit :( . The lowest is 10 and the highest is 13, with an average of 12.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
As a comparison our van had its 3 year service yesterday. The damp report contains 46 readings from all around the van (both sides, front, back, floor and ceiling) but I notice there are no readings listed behind or under the sealed shower unit :( . The lowest is 10 and the highest is 13, with an average of 12.
Don't worry Sir WC.
I hear you and Lady Squirrel use Greased Lightning so the shower should be dry  :p

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
intransient1 said:
Well its been about 3 months since the damp repair was completed.
I have checked it today and am still getting readings of 30% in the original area and am now getting readings of 25% in other areas nearby, it would appear that it's only reducing by spreading out.
I wasn't expecting it to be dry as the floor is covered on both top and bottom.

Hi In transient
Some time ago you and the Prof were preparing draft letters to the parties involved.
If you need a hand I and a few others spent our lives in the Insurance and Legal professions.
Parks or Damien will send you my email address if you want. I'm mindful the clock has been ticking for a while now and nothing much seems to be happening

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Digressing a little bit off subject but after reading about all the caravans that leak, I must admit that I have never heard or read of any Carlight vans leaking.
Do Carlights leak like other manufactures vans?
If the number (percentage) is low it would point to QC of the mass produced vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JamesH said:
Digressing a little bit off subject but after reading about all the caravans that leak, I must admit that I have never heard or read of any Carlight vans leaking.
Do Carlights leak like other manufactures vans?
If the number (percentage) is low it would point to QC of the mass produced vans.

Hello James,

If you review many of the threads on PC forum relating to caravans with water ingress, you will see that "poor QC" is certainly seen as one of the major contributors to this problem.

Whilst we only tend to read of those that fail, we must also accept that some caravans do not leak, which raises the question of why such wide variations occur. The fact that some caravans seem to remains perfectly dry, proves the technology and design are capable of working, so the inevitable conclusion that any reasonable person will make is the the manufacturer's quality control (consistency) is way less than satisfactory.

Historically most UK caravan manufacturers have a very seasonal build pattern, and to cope with such variability, they tend employ a lot of temporary labour when required. The results we get suggest that the training is less than perfect, and the incentive packages promote quantity over quality.

The car industry discovered over twenty years ago how inconsistent such a mix was and how vehicle quality suffered as a result. The solution was better training and a push to make quality (consistency) more important that quantity, by getting the work force to take responsibility for what they were producing and perhaps more importantly to understand the problems it causes when they let something less than satisfactory past their production stage is a major step in raising the quality of product.

The caravan manufacturers are not it seems prepared to join debates about quality, they certainly do not publish failure rates, so we are left to draw rather negative conclusions based on the evidence presented.

My last job before retiring was quality systems consultancy, and I can say with total honesty that companies that grasp the quality ethic and place a greater emphasis on total customer satisfaction, may face a little pain whilst they get their systems up to speed, but beyond the implementation phase, all companies were fitter and leaner with far greater customer satisfaction and consequently ultimately more profitable. This is a lesson the caravan industry needs to learn.

Echoing Damian's comment all UK caravan manufacturers have produced some caravans that leak, but don't go away with the idea that continental caravans are leak free - they definitely are not. Over the weekend I saw a Hobby caravan with a major leak problem.

If large numbers of one make of caravan are reported on forums, we can't really draw any conclusions about relative failure rates, unless we can proportion them against sales. We simply do not have access to the data to see if any manufacture is notably better or worse than the others.

Irrespective of what the actual failure rates may be, the consequences of a water ingress incident are major for each customer, and that is where companies with real customer focus would work very hard to resolve the problems amicably, rather than the adversarial process that customer often face.

Perhaps it's wrong to draw this conclusion but if water ingress was the small problem manufacturers seem to imply, they could afford to be more generous and forthcoming when resolving the incidents we do hear about.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I spoke to the workshop manager at glossop caravans as it has been 3 months since the water inlet was resealed and gave him the new readings of damp in the floor inside the van, not near the outer walls.
He couldn't understand why the readings are so high, just shows how much a customer is listened to as when the van let water in thewhole front offside to the middle of the van was flooded.
The good thing was that during the conversation it came out that the leak was due according to elddis to the water inlet having not been sealed correctly during manufacture.
They have admitted fault at last.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts