6 berth caravan!

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.

We are VERY new to the caravan scene, having just bought our first 6 berth. We have a 1997 bailey hunter lite 500/6. We love our van, it has been very well loved & looked after, as are we. BUT, having gone away for our 1st trip, a long weekend away, we have decided it is just a little bit too small for our family of 5.
smiley-frown.gif

Having trawled through the internet, trying to decide which van we like the look of, we have sort of narrowed it down to the following.

2008 ellddis explore 546
2010 lunar quasar 556
Sprite major 6 TD
Lunar quasar 546

However, the best forms of reviews in my eyes, are those of an owner.

Do any of you folks own or have owned any of these vans & what are your thoughts please. Or, if you think there is a different van out there that will suit our needs, feel free to say so, more views the better!

We might try it again next year, but I still feel we need to change.

Thanks in advance for help/advice.

PS, this is the best forum for advice, reviews etc!

Miffymags

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If you told us the type of towing vehicle you are using and whether it is is diesel or automatic, we can offer better advice. Do you have a pre-1996 driving licence?

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Surfer said:
If you told us the type of towing vehicle you are using and whether it is is diesel or automatic, we can offer better advice. Do you have a pre-1996 driving licence?

Hi.

Hubby is the driver & yes, has a pre 1996 licence. We have a ford S max titanium, manual diesel.
Its such a mindfield of information to take in for us "newbies", but this forum is helping me/us out alot!

Anyother suggestions for vans would be great, thank you!

3 kids, 7,5,4, + 2 large ish adults!!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Miffymags said:
Surfer said:

Hi.
Hubby is the driver & yes, has a pre 1996 licence. We have a ford S max titanium, manual diesel. Its such a mindfield of information to take in for us "newbies", but this forum is helping me/us out alot! Anyother suggestions for vans would be great, thank you!
3 kids, 7,5,4, + 2 large ish adults!!!
If it is the 1.6 maximum weight you can tow is 1600kg however kerbweight is 1703kg so 1447kg is 85% guideline..

If it is the 1.8 maximum weight you can tow is 1450kg which is below 85% guideline.

If it is the 2.0 maximum weight you can tow is 1800kg however kerbweight is 1743kg so 1481kg is 85% guideline.

The 85% match is only a guideline and not a regulation. The above figures are off Honest Johns website which is why i asked you to be specific about the vehicle. Even the different years have different specs. However it seems safe to safe that the maximum MTPLM you can look for is about 1500kg which would be a single axle except if you have the 1.8L.
BTW a 5 berth could also be suitable if you are not planning to have more kids. Have a look on http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan_5berth.html Hope this helps your quest for a caravan.

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the info.

would help if I said its a 2.2 tdci titanium!

Oh yes, defo second hand, the piggyback is not full enough for a new one!,

we are not in a hurry, but it's good to keep a look out & have others suggestions with other people's own experience of caravans.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Miffymags said:
Thanks guys for all the info.
would help if I said its a 2.2 tdci titanium!
Oh yes, defo second hand, the piggyback is not full enough for a new one!,
we are not in a hurry, but it's good to keep a look out & have others suggestions with other people's own experience of caravans.

The kerbweight for the 2.2L is 1802kg and the maximum braked towing weight is 1800kg so a caravan with a maximum MTPLM of 1600kg which is about 90% should be okay. I would not recommend going above this figure.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We have a Swift Charisma 590, 2006, which is 6 berth. Twin bunks, side dining, which converts into two singles and either two singles or one double at the front. It has a large wash room at the full width of the rear.
As there is only four of us we use the side dining area at night for the dog cages which leaves plenty of floor area to move about in. During the day the cages are kept in the awning

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Well, since posting this, we have taken the plunge & bought a lovely compass rambler 2005 6 berth van, it's being delivered tomorrow by the previous owners. It was such a great deal that we couldn't say no. We are going away for half term & the thought of 6 nights away in our old van was putting me off going, even though I knew we would cope, ( well, I might have cracked up by night 4!) but we are all looking forward to going now!
thanks for the advice given though! X

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Miffymags said:
Hi guys. Well, since posting this, we have taken the plunge & bought a lovely compass rambler 2005 6 berth van, it's being delivered tomorrow by the previous owners. It was such a great deal that we couldn't say no. We are going away for half term & the thought of 6 nights away in our old van was putting me off going, even though I knew we would cope, ( well, I might have cracked up by night 4!) but we are all looking forward to going now!
thanks for the advice given though! X
Congratulations on your new purchase. Hopefully you did a thorough damp test before deciding to purchase. If not, do it before handing over any cash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts