6 berth with bunks

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, have a family near us wanting a 6 berth van with a budget of 8k. They are new to caravanning. they want one with fixed bunks that run across the back of the van, the only one I know of is the bailey ranger.
If anyone has any other suggestions as to vans of this layout, or indeed ownes one I would be pleased for advice and thoughts, good or bad so as I can pass them on.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
There is quite a few to choose from!
Avondale Dart 556-6
Sprite Major 6 before 2010 model (i think) when they changed to triple bunks.
and lots more that I cant remember!
The best thing to do is look on caravan finder to get an idea of what layouts are around or a look around a few dealers.
I had a Avondale 556-6 for a while and it was a good van the only problem is that Avondale dont exist now.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Not very helpful but I had an Amara 560/6 with this layout. Had one of the first in 2007 so well out of budget of 8K still. Bailey were certainly doing a Pagent at the same time but the narrower width really showed in the kitchen area. Can't remember what width the Avondale was as didn't look closely at it. I must say if towcar permits the fixed side bunks on my twin axle 640/6 gaining the back bathroom has been a more user friendly layout with children as we vary rarely stay on sites with facilities. The side bathroom is perfectly useable but better supervision and assistance provided by the end washroom suits us more and the separate shower is more user friendly. Again though the Coachman will be out of budget. I certainly think Avondale did this layout earlier on and I expect others did too. Either layout works really well as a three or four berth as the children can use the side dinette to play at in the mornings when they get up if not got the awning up. Beware how the rear garage on the rear bunks is used, all to easy to over load weight wise but very useful for light stuff like water containers. Side bunk garaging for travel can take a bit more weight as not right at the rear. As with any van there are compromises to be made when there's a full compliment of beds in use, we're 5 so still not having to make up the bunk over the dinette or store the required cushions to make it up. I didn't like the removable drainer to start with but have appreciated the extra kitchen work top when cooking for 5 (coachman have reverted to fixed for 2011)but again swings and roundabouts and how the van will be used. We do find that the porch awning for wellies on weekend trips helpful despite the size of van and use the full awning for longer trips to spread out a bit more. If budgets were to stretch my personal view would be to avoid the three up fixed bunks as we found them very claustrophobic and again the washroom was a little small for us. Wardrobes with two hanging rails we have found to be useful for 5. Bunk windows that can be left on air all night are good from a condensation point of view and changing the lights especially the bunks to LED invaluable when no EHU. Small wardrobes at the end of end bunks are very useful for coats but equally storage that can be accessed from the bunk good for toys, games and books. However both reduce length of bunk.

Overall though what they are looking for is a good layout in my opinion but personal use dictated what I have now.

Hope that's all of some help.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi DrSorento - on another caravanning forum there is a six berth TEC 580TKM advertised - rear bunks, side dinette, fixed bed at the front, sounds lovely and all for £7,000.
Details:
This TEC 580TKM has been used 6 times in it`s 8 year life, has never been home to smokers or pets, and has been kept in undercover storage for all but its first 5 months. It has recently been serviced (April 2011) and damp checked (all clear).

It comprises of a large comfortable fixed double bed, with storage underneath; 2 fixed bunk beds; and a 6 seater sofa around a table which easily converts into another comfortable double bed. There are numerous overhead compartments in the main living area and around the fixed double bed, along with 3 wardrobes. Pull-out partitions allow the bunk beds, living area and end bedroom to be separated, ideal for a family where the younger children can be put to bed, and the older children and adults can still have time around the sofa during the later evening.

The kitchen has a 3 ring gas hob, a 3-way refridgerator, sink & drainer, and ample utensil and food storage.

There is a Truma space heater and blown air heating system, and a truma water heater.

The large wetroom/toilet is in perfect condition (the shower has never been used). There is a separate sink with overhead lit mirrored `bathroom` cabinet, so that any beautification can be put in place before venturing out for the day/evening.

The sale includes an aqua roll, waste-master, internal water tank and pump, a hookup cable, leisure battery, awning furniture, a CD/tape/radio, cultery, melaware crockery, kettle, collection of pots & pans, gas bottle, Alko stabiliser, hitch lock, an unused internal tent for an awning (no awning), a full set of instructions and manuals with colour photos on how to use the caravan, all documentation and a full service history.

With precision teutonic engineering this functional caravan has a very solid feel, whilst remaining spacious, grand, comfortable and welcoming!

Technical Specification
Unladen Weight: 1290Kg
User Payload: 210kg
MTPLM: 1500kg
Measurements:
Internal Length: 5.73m
Overall Length: 7.59m
Width: 2.47m
If you Google TEC580TKM the advertisers details should come up.
PS I have no connection to the advertiser, but saw your post yesterday and thought the caravan being sold seem to fit the bill.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi
We have the series 5 Bailey Pageant Bretangue, got ours from new 5 years ago. Fixed bunks across the back at the back with an useful storage cupboard with shelves at the end of 1 bunk - ideal for kids bit & bobs. Both bunks have a rear facing window - useful if you need to check what kids are up to. Side dinette with make up bunk above, easy to make up. Length of front seating means you can either use them as 2 single beds or make it up into a double. We do both. toilet/washroom has some of the best storage for tolietries i've seen in a caravan. The area under the lower back bunk is open - we use it for water containers, large umbrellas, swing ball, badminton stuff when towing. On site - kids have travel bags with their bits in which just go under the bunk. works very well. Wardrobe has an useful cupboard underneath. We had a TV point next to the front chest added when we bought the Bretangue. It frees up usual location for the TV and means that everyone can see the TV, including from the bunks. It also frees up a work suface for the kettle etc Block Colour of furnishing fabric is also more child friendly than some of the later light beige colours

We really like the van. Have 3 kids, 1 of whom is autistic. Last year we took our neice with us, van coped well with 6 of us.

I think OH recently saw a series 5 like ours on e bay for I think £9000, it included loads of extras. A slightly older Bretangue should be possible for around £8000. We'd buy a Bretangue again, prefer it to the latest Baileys. Hope this helps

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi
We have the series 5 Bailey Pageant Bretangue, got ours from new 5 years ago. Fixed bunks across the back at the back with an useful storage cupboard with shelves at the end of 1 bunk - ideal for kids bit & bobs. Both bunks have a rear facing window - useful if you need to check what kids are up to. Side dinette with make up bunk above, easy to make up. Length of front seating means you can either use them as 2 single beds or make it up into a double. We do both. toilet/washroom has some of the best storage for tolietries i've seen in a caravan. The area under the lower back bunk is open - we use it for water containers, large umbrellas, swing ball, badminton stuff when towing. On site - kids have travel bags with their bits in which just go under the bunk. works very well. Wardrobe has an useful cupboard underneath. We had a TV point next to the front chest added when we bought the Bretangue. It frees up usual location for the TV and means that everyone can see the TV, including from the bunks. It also frees up a work suface for the kettle etc Block Colour of furnishing fabric is also more child friendly than some of the later light beige colours

We really like the van. Have 3 kids, 1 of whom is autistic. Last year we took our neice with us, van coped well with 6 of us.

I think OH recently saw a series 5 like ours on e bay for I think £9000, it included loads of extras. A slightly older Bretangue should be possible for around £8000. We'd buy a Bretangue again, prefer it to the latest Baileys. Hope this helps

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
We have a series 6 Bretagne, very similar/same layout as S5 although ours has the fold up rear bunk and side access door so the space can be used as a garage, great for bikes etc. Not sure if S5 has this. Anyway, great van, there's only 4 of us but we went for the extra space of a 6 berth and the kids love the bunks. You should be able to get a Bretagne for £8k but what age and what series will depend on the seller.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts