A.A - R.A.C or GREEN FLAG.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Renewal time again and I am reviewing all the alternatives. At present I am with the R.A.C. - a legacy from our Motorhome days.
Has any one out there got any advise as to preference ????

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are a member of either of the clubs I would use their cover as it is far better and covers the caravan if that is faulty and gives dual recovery if needed as suggested by Dustydog. If not you can add the caravan to RAC cover but I do not think you can do that with the AA or Green Flag although you could ask them.
A lot of people suggest the German ADAC but I have no experience of them.
What you need to do whoever you choose is make sure the caravan is covered as if not a problem with that could cost you.
This subject might make an interesting article for the magazine.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The AA gave me free home start etc, then after my son used it a couple of times , they said we had used up our quota, !!!
I now have Green Flag Euro plus, which gives me Uk caravan rescue but only the car in Europe, So I have to take out Red Pennent when I go over with the van as, Red Pennent doesnt cover you in the UK. Catch 22.
Just found Eurobreakdown.com which covers the caravan as well, competitive to RP.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Green Flag and Mayday (The Caravan Club) are one and the same. How do I know?, well my membership became due for renewal with Mayday. After getting a quote for renewal with Mayday I thought I would phone Green Flag for a quote and surprise, surprise, the same person answered the phone.
Because I am never likely to use duel recovery I had that option taken out and the price was adjusted accordingly. All the other services remain the same such as recovery from a muddy field etc. I duly renewed with Green Flag.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
If you tour Europe, then ADAC is the one to go for. Superb service, once you get to an English speaker.
With my 23 year old car and 37 year old caravan, ask me how I know this!

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Dustydog – re the policy wording. I was assured that they are identical, that's why I particularly asked about being towed off a field which is of particular interest to caravanners. The person I spoke to at Greenflag brought up a copy of my Mayday policy on his computor and we went through it together.
Re dual recovery – We only go away from Sunday night – Thursday night now, when doctors, opticians and physio etc. etc. appointments allow, hence always being home on Fridays for physio. If the car broke down whilst away we would not be able to get to the shops for a loaf or pint of milk etc. as my wife is wheelchair bound, so we would return home. We usually only travel within a hundred mile radius but go away every week that is appointment free.
That's what suits us today, but the advantage of caravanning is that you can adapt it to suite your particular circumstances at the time which have changed a number of times for us since 1960.
Just looked in our diary and see that we have managed to get away on five occasions this year.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I use the RAC Arrival breakdown recovery via the Camping and Caravanning Club which covers any vehicle that I happen to be in no matter who is driving and also the caravan.
As a disabled driver I'm given priority in the event of a vehicle breakdown.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Dusty - Green Flag & Mayday policies are different. Been with Mayday ~(specifically designed for touring caravans) for years . (And if your 'contact' at Green Flag told you different he is mistaken)

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
I'm with Dusty - Green Flag & Mayday policies are different. Been with Mayday ~(specifically designed for touring caravans) for years . (And if your 'contact' at Green Flag told you different he is mistaken)

yes totally agree, the devil is in the detail, gone through the same procedure after selling the van.
cancelled the club membership. and the mayday cover lapsed, Green Flag will not do mayday cover for private customers. I assume the RAC arrival cover is the same. as these policies are specially negotiated by the clubs concerned for the benefit of their members only.

outside the clubs any recovery service will tow back the trailer, in the event of a vehicle breakdown, if the said vehicle is towing at the time, but will not cover the trailer on it's own. and there is the difference, the club policies do.
if say a wheel bearing went on the caravan while towing, one of the clubs services would recover the van to a place you wished it to go, just taking the van while you followed in the car.
a private member would not have this cover, if the towing vehicle was working ok. you would be on your own to arrange private recovery for the van. at your own expense.

how do I know, well I had the misfortune of having the black plug come out while towing and dragging along the ground for quite a while distroying the plug, so no trailer lights, the AA who I was with at the time refused to help even though I had full cover, because it was a trailer fault, I had to find a safe place to leave the van while I went to a local motor factor for a new plug to do a roadside repair. if I had not been able to do this I would have well and truly stuck.
next day I arranged for mayday cover from the CC and ditched the AA. forever. just my two pennies worth.

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Some of the replies on this forum got me thinking that I had better phone Green Flag and ask a few questions which I have just done and here are the answers :-
Mayday have no limit on the maximum length of caravan. Green Flag have a maximum limit of 7 metres including the A frame but not including the hitch.
I cited the case where a plug on the caravan lighting cable required roadside repair are was informed that is included in the Green Flag policy as it is considered part of the caravan, likewise with a faulty caravan wheel bearing.
Green Flag have a maximum age of 16 years for the recovery of any car but no age limit if the registration number of the car or cars is on the policy. Mayday will recover any car of any age.
The Green Flag policy is more flexible in that services can be added or removed and reflected in the price. With Mayday all services are included regardless and everyone pays the same price.
I saved £7 by not having dual recovery !!! No rude comments please.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
JamesH said:
Some of the replies on this forum got me thinking that I had better phone Green Flag and ask a few questions which I have just done and here are the answers :-
Mayday have no limit on the maximum length of caravan. Green Flag have a maximum limit of 7 metres including the A frame but not including the hitch.
I cited the case where a plug on the caravan lighting cable required roadside repair are was informed that is included in the Green Flag policy as it is considered part of the caravan, likewise with a faulty caravan wheel bearing.
Green Flag have a maximum age of 16 years for the recovery of any car but no age limit if the registration number of the car or cars is on the policy. Mayday will recover any car of any age.
The Green Flag policy is more flexible in that services can be added or removed and reflected in the price. With Mayday all services are included regardless and everyone pays the same price.
I saved £7 by not having dual recovery !!! No rude comments please.

QED James.
Restrictions on Green Flag
No use to all year round caravanner

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be fair I've never looked to clsely at the caravan cover but for just car cover look at Briitannia Rescue, now associated with LV.

They were part of the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) which also had stong links with Frizzel aka LV and used tocome out top in many surveys. LV still offer discounts to CSMA members on car insurance and I have never been able to beat their qotes for my cars.
'Civil Service' is a pretty broad church and includes Post Office, Teachers, UKAEA, etc etc and extended to family connections as well. C
Incidentally CSMA has a caravan and camping section and can and do licence CLs.

This is getting a bit close to Forum limits but there must be lots of you out there iwho would potentially benefit, so lets hope Damian and Steve let it stand !

May 7, 2012
Visit site
RayS said:
To be fair I've never looked to clsely at the caravan cover but for just car cover look at Briitannia Rescue, now associated with LV.

They were part of the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) which also had stong links with Frizzel aka LV and used tocome out top in many surveys. LV still offer discounts to CSMA members on car insurance and I have never been able to beat their qotes for my cars.
'Civil Service' is a pretty broad church and includes Post Office, Teachers, UKAEA, etc etc and extended to family connections as well. C
Incidentally CSMA has a caravan and camping section and can and do licence CLs.
This is getting a bit close to Forum limits but there must be lots of you out there who would potentially benefit, so lets hope Damian and Steve let it stand !

I know Britannia rescue is well regarded but you need to check if the caravan is the problem if they will still come out as if not there is a large gap in your cover. I would think the double cover is not available and you also need to know if you have the caravan on site and the car breaks down if they will return to the site and pick that up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts