A low week just got lower

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to close out my BILs lost bag.. On leaving Walsgrave hospital yesterday my wife spoke to the Reception Desk to inform them of the lost bag containing his personal effects and keys. This morning she received a phone call from the hospital general office informing her that the bag was where it should be wrapped and sealed in a secure locker. It seems the process in AE is to remove personal items securely bag them and place in a dedicated secure locker. The patient notes should be updated to reflect this. So the bag will be returned as part of the discharge process. But none of the two ward admin teams or discharge teams seemed to be aware of this process, and wasted staff time looking for it. Not to say the cost to us of £211 for a new front door look plus visits yesterday to Timpsons to have other keys cut. It’s still not clear if he will be discharged today as the external commercial pharmacy that makes up the dosette box may not return it in time to get available ambulance slot for discharge. Yesterdays and todays four carers have been stood down. So three days of bed blocking with carers all arranged and funded. At what financial and staff time costs to the hospital and the patients anxiety?

IMHO there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians and nurses and doctors are under a lot of pressure. BIL should claim from the hospital as that is the only way to give them a wake up call.

Unfortunately OH has had various similar issues that have caused her a lot of stress. On the day I collected her from hospital it was very late in the afternoon and it took us nearly 2 hours to leave the hospital due to congestion in the hospital parking grounds due to refurbishment.

The next day she had to attend a clinic and the only entrance and parking is at the front of the hospital. Although OH currently has mobility issues issues she had to walk to the clinic through the hospital to the clinic which is right at the back of the hospital. Although plenty of wheel chairs near entrance, no one to push her and no one at hospital reception which has not being in operation for a few years.

When she got to the clinic she was totally exhausted and her blood pressure was way off. before she can have treatment they need to do blood pressure and a blood test so she had to wait about an hour before they could do anything.

It seems that all NHS hospitals are having issues but in the meantime those managing these hospitals get paid inflated amounts, but nothing happens. Incidentally about 12 miles away there is a perfect good modern hospital that is semi moth balled and only used for day patients so that the local trust can "save" money!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
the use of a key box means the security of a house is only as good as the security code on the box, and if it's hidden out of plain sight, any person with a mind could try the box multiple times until they hit the code, and then the property is effectively open to them.

Apologies for high-jacking the thread! I've just returned from a stay in a rented property where the house keys were left in a "security box" and I thought what a silly, unsafe method of handling house keys it was. The box was only held to the wall by four No 8 screws and plugs. I'm sure a house-breaker's crowbar could have had the box from the wall in minutes with an angle-grinder in their van to open the box.
Probably safer to hide the keys under a plant pot. ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for high-jacking the thread! I've just returned from a stay in a rented property where the house keys were left in a "security box" and I thought what a silly, unsafe method of handling house keys it was. The box was only held to the wall by four No 8 screws and plugs. I'm sure a house-breaker's crowbar could have had the box from the wall in minutes with an angle-grinder in their van to open the box.
I’d agree but at least with a rental holiday property the only items to steal would be appliances or furniture, or contents. It’s a bit different to a home where people’s life belongings and more expensive items are kept. But as you say, my BIL took his down on security grounds.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’d agree but at least with a rental holiday property the only items to steal would be appliances or furniture, or contents. It’s a bit different to a home where people’s life belongings and more expensive items are kept. But as you say, my BIL took his down on security grounds.
The other thing about having the keybox at home is that neighbours know who should and who should not be at your home. However we live in a rural village where everyone knows your business, so although The Prof has a very valid point regarding security, keybox for us should not be an issue.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
IMHO there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians and nurses and doctors are under a lot of pressure. BIL should claim from the hospital as that is the only way to give them a wake up call.

Unfortunately OH has had various similar issues that have caused her a lot of stress. On the day I collected her from hospital it was very late in the afternoon and it took us nearly 2 hours to leave the hospital due to congestion in the hospital parking grounds due to refurbishment.

The next day she had to attend a clinic and the only entrance and parking is at the front of the hospital. Although OH currently has mobility issues issues she had to walk to the clinic through the hospital to the clinic which is right at the back of the hospital. Although plenty of wheel chairs near entrance, no one to push her and no one at hospital reception which has not being in operation for a few years.

When she got to the clinic she was totally exhausted and her blood pressure was way off. before she can have treatment they need to do blood pressure and a blood test so she had to wait about an hour before they could do anything.

It seems that all NHS hospitals are having issues but in the meantime those managing these hospitals get paid inflated amounts, but nothing happens. Incidentally about 12 miles away there is a perfect good modern hospital that is semi moth balled and only used for day patients so that the local trust can "save" money!
I have had issues with mobility for the past few decades and know to help myself to remain as independent as possible with buying a wheelchair, mobility scooter or sticks. The NHS is being stretched to breaking point and anything we can do to enable the service to continue can only be a positive. Buying the necessary equipment for someone who has mobility issues whether temporary or permanent can only be good for them to remain independent.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
BIL should claim from the hospital as that is the only way to give them a wake up call.

Obviously, every NHS Trust has its own way of doing things. A few months ago I was called into my local hospital for day surgery. I was sent a list of items to take with me, which filled a fairly large bag. When in due course the porters came to collect my trolley, my bag was also put on the trolley. I told the nurse I would leave it on my bed, but she said not - "Where you go, your bag goes. It's safer that way."

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site

The static caravan I stayed in Sept had the keys in a mechanical key safe. Presume the site owners or other caravan owners would notice something not right if someone was seqentially trying each code or using tools.

Never liked the idea of the one on my nan’s house though when she had carers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Obviously, every NHS Trust has its own way of doing things. A few months ago I was called into my local hospital for day surgery. I was sent a list of items to take with me, which filled a fairly large bag. When in due course the porters came to collect my trolley, my bag was also put on the trolley. I told the nurse I would leave it on my bed, but she said not - "Where you go, your bag goes. It's safer that way."
That is okay if you can comprehend what is going on around you. However I hope OC's BIL is now sorted and issues have been resolved as not pleasant having to stay in any hospital anywhere.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That is okay if you can comprehend what is going on around you. However I hope OC's BIL is now sorted and issues have been resolved as not pleasant having to stay in any hospital anywhere.
Thanks Buckman, but he’s still in hospital his drugs didn’t arrive yesterday and with all the ups and downs of keys and failed discharges he had a melt down. So we don’t know what’s happening now until we can speak to the hospital today.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Buckman, but he’s still in hospital his drugs didn’t arrive yesterday and with all the ups and downs of keys and failed discharges he had a melt down. So we don’t know what’s happening now until we can speak to the hospital today.
I am sorry to hear that and I feel for you having been in a similar situation. Take care.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts