a nice way to finish a holiday......

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
With so many operators to choose from to cross the channel I thought I would let you all know of our recent experience with Seafrance.

On 20th August we used their service from Calais to Dover, booked for the 15.30hrs (local time) sailing from Calais. On arrival at Calais @ 14.25 hrs we were greeted with a large queue of cars and coaches trying to enter the port. After queuing for some 40 minutes we arrived at their check-in.

Where upon their staff informed us that we had missed check-in time and that we would have to pay a surcharge to use their 17.00 hrs sailing. We protested that we had arrived in time but this fell on deaf ears.

After paying, I asked for a receipt so I can take this matter up with Seafrance. The girl replied "no receipt" and gave us the piece of card to hang from our mirror.

What I find is poor is that we booked via the CC site and was told both on-line and in our booking correspondence a "One hour" Check-in time which we complied with - (the sheer volume of traffic and not having all their booths open created this situation) so the result is we where then charged extra for complying with their directions.

To round off this episode the 17.00 hrs sailing arrived on time in Calais but took over 1´ hour to unload due to not being able to get the link span down to the bottom deck and so we arrived in Dover well over 1 hour late.

I wrote to them for a suitable an apology and my surcharge to be refunded at the very least.

The result was "we are not responsible for queues" - which is fair but no one does it for fun do they! And secondly read your T & C's "we're not responsible for being late either" so NO you can't have your surcharge refunded.

Well one lost customer and a warning to your all don't expect customer service because if we're anything to go by you won't get any!

Monkey's Husband

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My days of ferry travel have been put on hold for a while Monkey' H but more crossings than hot dinners comes to mind.

I've had this sort of action from SF and P&0 and others in the recent past.

There are managerial offices near to the Calais check in. Getting out of the car at the check in and locking it with queue behind gets results! Its no good going to the office to the right of the check in, you need to demand to see the "chef" or manager.

My brother inlaw videoed his conversation with a P&O supervisor at Dover with his mobile phone having videod the mayhem when he pulled.

The rude supervisor managed to get him on the correct ferry with no extra charge as cars in front had been sent to await the next ferry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To add a bit of "Ying" to your "Yang" I did the same crossing crossing with SeaFrance a while ago and got to Dover about 90 mins before my sailing time and they guided me on to the boat that was just about to leave. It was so good as they had loaded most cars I drove straight onto the ferry.

I would always travel with either Sea France or Brittany Ferries as I find their service is top notch and I've never had a problem.

Don't let this one bad experience put you off.

Mark

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I guess I've used all of the ferry companies over the past twenty years. I find it is the luck of the draw!

Earlier this year we went to France for a day and the breakfast was terrible, I can eat most things when hungry but it was really bad and the staff were rude. We returned on the same ferry the same night and the food was very good and the waiter was top notch.

I've been on Brittany Ferries where no staff seemed to want to clear up results of rough weather and the food was dire and late departure and arrival chaos was ignored. Another time they have been fine.

You stand a better chance getting to the ferry port well ahead of your check in time if possible, it is common practice to get an earlier ferry with P&O and SF. But beware of P&O and early arrival at Calais if you have discounted ticket, they will TRY and charge top price supplement, so either speak to a manager or wait your turn.

If it is convenient to load you early out bound why do they want to charge extra to load you early inbound when the ferry is not even hald full.

G

This year we used NorfolkLine for the 1st time and found the service as good as any. However, they also run a policy of 'don't arrive before 2 hours, and not later than 1 hour before departure'. Fitting this narrow time slot can be difficult especially with the traffic trying to get into Dover these days. Mind you they did appear to be flexible towards late arrivals from what we could while sitting in the lines awaiting boarding.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Came back with S/F yesterday. The organisation seemed to work well,we arrived 45 minutes prior to the stated 3-30 pm departure time. Loaded and away at 3-35, Dover 55 minutes later. Nice ferry the Rodin I think the name was. Would use this line again. If you have a problem and you can prove you are right, pay by credit card and then claim it back via Visa!!!!. Mind you I would try to make sure that I had given myself plenty of time to catch the ferry, Dover and Calais being very busy most of the time Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall.

ps did you not have a semi-flexible ticket ???

Val & Frank

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts