A regrettable parting of the ways

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I found the reverse in that my most recent BTE aids from the NHS were better than the private ones in both hearing quality and features.

BTE is an acronym for Behind The Ear :tearsofjoy:
It may well be that the NHS one she has now will be as good as it gets. I dont know. She was told she could have the second one if she wants, but was advised to give just the one a try first.

I imagine that the regional NHS use different suppliers. My wifes are not the all singing and dancing ones that Sam describes. But I think they can be linked to her phone, we have not tried as she does not have a problem hearing that, just me it appears.

She also appears to have lost a degree of spatial awareness.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
And there was me thinking it was a great reference to The Who Pinball Wizard lyric……. Sing along with me …. That deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball!

(Seems to have got out of order but was a reply to Sam's post at #24!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My biggest issue with NHS hearing aids which are several or more years old, is background noise which makes it difficult to understand people talking and they are in front of you. Seems our wives are related?

Yep in my youth pin ball machines took skill unlike these digital things now. I can recall the "tilt" coming up more than once. Hardly ever see a proper pin ball machine these days.
Unlike Sam mine do not have Bluetooth but are three years old. But as well as volume control, they have a push setting for audio loop (in banks, train station counters etc) and a very useful feature that as Sam says depresses rear background noises and reinforces forward facing conversation. NHS England current models may now include Bluetooth.

Why not book an audiology appointment you should receive the newer models.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Unlike Sam mine do not have Bluetooth but are three years old. But as well as volume control, they have a push setting for audio loop (in banks, train station counters etc) and a very useful feature that as Sam says depresses rear background noises and reinforces forward facing conversation. NHS England current models may now include Bluetooth.

In some areas there's a NHS waiting list for hearing aids of over 12 months, but NHS hearing aids from Specsavers only took a couple of weeks - in some areas, self-referral is possible but in my area I needed to go through my GP.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In some areas there's a NHS waiting list for hearing aids of over 12 months, but NHS hearing aids from Specsavers only took a couple of weeks - in some areas, self-referral is possible but in my area I needed to go through my GP.
My BIL who is in a care home near us had his GP refer him for a test and one of the options was Specsavers. Nice to see flexibility in the NHS.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I went for a hearing test about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday. It was not a NHS consultant. It was a private one employed to work at NHS for the weekend. The person was not really interested in listening to my issue and only wanted to do the test and nothing else. It was definitely different to previous tests and seem to skip some things as was out in about 20 minutes. I have not head anything since?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I went for a hearing test about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday. It was not a NHS consultant. It was a private one employed to work at NHS for the weekend. The person was not really interested in listening to my issue and only wanted to do the test and nothing else. It was definitely different to previous tests and seem to skip some things as was out in about 20 minutes. I have not heard anything since.

The fact that you have not heard anything since has to be concerning!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do know that there is a huge backlog and my original appointment was for mid December. However what is the point if paying a private audiologist good money if they cannot deal with the results. Maybe going the GP route is an option?
Did you pay privately or was it a self referral under the NHS. My last two appointments were GP refer at my request. Carried out at two local community hospitals. The first one gave me new hearing aids to replace a rubbish private pair, The second one showed me the changes to my hearing spectrum and then reprogrammed the hearing aids. Minimal wait fir an appointment. My BIL moved into a care home in spring this year and they arranged his appointment and he has now got his aids, and it’s made such a difference to talking to him. No more “say again” and it’s made his social interaction with carers and residents so much better.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did you pay privately or was it a self referral under the NHS. My last two appointments were GP refer at my request. Carried out at two local community hospitals. The first one gave me new hearing aids to replace a rubbish private pair, The second one showed me the changes to my hearing spectrum and then reprogrammed the hearing aids. Minimal wait fir an appointment. My BIL moved into a care home in spring this year and they arranged his appointment and he has now got his aids, and it’s made such a difference to talking to him. No more “say again” and it’s made his social interaction with carers and residents so much better.
It was supposed to a NHS appointment, it was only on arrival I was notified that it was someone drafted in that did not work for the NHS. Our local NHS are bringing in people from all over the country to try and catch up on the backlog. Last week on Saturday I needed some minor surgery on my right leg and the surgeon was from London and base din Harley Street? That must have cost them a small packet!

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
With the new Bluetooth Smartphone connected NHS hearing aids the intention in the future is to do remote consultation in respect of hearing tests and re-adjustments. Sounds like a good idea - pun intended.

We had to wait a few weeks for an appointment to get checked but in fairness Skye is a long way from the major centres of Health Care and the Audiologist has to come over to Skye to do a block of tests. One of the problems with this is that the tourists are taking up all the accomodation and she has had problems finding somewhere to stay.

This problem of accomodation also extends to our new Hospital at Broadford which can't run at full capacity due to staffing issues which is somewhat dus to lack of accomodation.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We just went to the Three counties showground for an antiques fair with neighbours. Like my wife, he has a single hearing aid. It came out and he lost it. We back tracked with no luck.

We think the NHS charge £75 for lost aids, Bargin in my opinion.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We just went to the Three counties showground for an antiques fair with neighbours. Like my wife, he has a single hearing aid. It came out and he lost it. We back tracked with no luck.

John
if they have home contents insurance, they probably could claim for it?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

John
I may be wrong with the £75. It may be that that is just for admin. And there is also a charge for the old/lost aids, but nothing for new ones.

My neighbour thinks his are about 10 years old, so perhaps they will be written off.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I may be wrong with the £75. It may be that that is just for admin. And there is also a charge for the old/lost aids, but nothing for new ones.

My neighbour thinks his are about 10 years old, so perhaps they will be written off.

John
Surprised he’s not had replacements by now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think he stopped using them for a while for some reason. I wonder if there is a given time for renewal on the NHS

John
I expect different trusts have different change intervals, but if the recipient doesn’t go for audiology check ups the trusts won’t chase them. There must be an element of self responsibility if the recipient is able. Not many are aware that subtle and progressive hearing loss can be a contributing factor to dementia, but it makes your car so lovely and quiet on the motorway 😱

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think he stopped using them for a while for some reason. I wonder if there is a given time for renewal on the NHS

John
If you don't go back for regular hearing aid re-checks they'll discharge you from their books - I left it too long after the covid shutdown and had to start again, getting a GP referral.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I expect different trusts have different change intervals, but if the recipient doesn’t go for audiology check ups the trusts won’t chase them. There must be an element of self responsibility if the recipient is able. Not many are aware that subtle and progressive hearing loss can be a contributing factor to dementia, but it makes your car so lovely and quiet on the motorway 😱
That sounds so very sencible.

My wife was only told to give them a call if there is a problem. Never a mention of retesting.

Thinking about that, I find it very odd that she was not provided with a long term plan. She fails to understand, (or she does not want to understand), that her prescription will change just like for eyesight.

She has had hers for about 3 years, (first ones). I have suggested she calls and asks when a recheck will be needed.

She can be difficult!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That sounds so very sencible.

My wife was only told to give them a call if there is a problem. Never a mention of retesting.

Thinking about that, I find it very odd that she was not provided with a long term plan. She fails to understand, (or she does not want to understand), that her prescription will change just like for eyesight.

She has had hers for about 3 years, (first ones). I have suggested she calls and asks when a recheck will be needed.

She can be difficult!

John
Ditto.
If she has a recheck and the spectrum has changed the new one will be programmed into her aids, or she may get new ones. All depends on the trusts policy.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Ditto.
If she has a recheck and the spectrum has changed the new one will be programmed into her aids, or she may get new ones. All depends on the trusts policy.
The whole point about modern digital hearing aids is they can easily be re-programmed to adjust the amplification in each frequency band - a regular necessity since most deafness progresses with age - this reduces the long-term cost to the NHS by not having to replace them regularly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts