A simple 2 for Parksy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just for Parksy
Are you feeling better after Sunday - guess i'm not invited to be in the Fountain for a few weeks
smiley-surprised.gif

Have a word son this site is getting even slowww....www....wwwerrrrrrrr...........!
smiley-cry.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me about Sunday, most of the Fountain's regulars are floating face down in the cut!!
I've had several words about the slowness of the website, there's a topic about it on the Our Website message board.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I hear McMick as won first prize - a free meal at Bully's cafe.

You do know bully was always an Albion supporter - I have first hand knowledge! Kicked him up in the air a few times aswell over the park and on some grassy corners, 15 aside on a pitch no bigger than a tennis court, happy days!

Anyway back to the bragging rights - it was too easy!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Bully's dad, George, lives over 'the Denbeigh' at the back of us, I used to see him regular in the 'Ossly Tavern and Bully popped in now and again after he'd left his missus who caused all of that trouble.
The Tavern is a proper Steptoes boozer since the Blackcountryman was puled down so I never go in there now.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Here’s the full story

On the Glebefields we had street teams. Our mini league had a full set of rules with regards to who played for who and how they were eligible. The teams had ages from 8 to 14 and I was nearer 14 when Bully first started playing at about 8 or 9. I remember there being a discussion on whether Bully could play for Wordsworth Close, His uncle (who my old man picked up every morning on their way to Ratcliffs) lived just off Wordsworth close, he was eventually deemed eligible (yes we took it that seriously)

Burns Ave/J F Kennedy Walk (us) were playing Wordsworth Close. I always played defence and rush back goalkeeper. There was an understanding that the younger players were put up front so Bully was basically up against me. He never got a sniff, ROFL, well you wouldn’t really expect him to because of age and size, would you! At one point I see bully crying, sitting on the gutter, I hadn’t kicked him too hard (age, size) so I asked him what was up! He said “I cannot get passed you” I said that he had to keep trying because the one time you do – you score! He still never scored LOL but he kept trying. And I have always claimed that I help Bully gain his never say die attitude.

PS he always wore an Albion strip!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I was a kid we'd play football for hours on the 'Rec' which was the recreation ground (anybody remember when we had them?) which had been made by the council on an open space previously full of blast furnace waste which was called the 'brittle' because it had been rolled reasonably level and used for football. Woe betide you if you fell over on that stuff, it would have to be picked out of the resulting cuts using a needle and tweezers
smiley-cry.gif

The 'Rec' was created when the council laid soil and grass on top of the brittle waste and marked out proper pitches with goalposts erected.
We'd have 20 or 30 a side and team mates would disappear to climb 'the cracker' to look for fossils, it was a nearby hill made entirely of limestone which was being quarried with dynamite for roadstone and railway ballast, or to fetch milk bottles full of water (council pop) for us to drink.
This was all way before Bully's time when the Glebefelds was still old pit banks and the disused Brindley cut ran across Summerhill and behind Moat Road and what became the Maisonettes at the top of Shakespeare Road, we were lucky if we had a Wolves scarf or football boots never mind a football strip.
By the way Kelvin, that bridge on the picture that you asked about a couple of weeks back was close to the Netherton Tunnel, it was the bridge carrying Sedgeley Road West over the cut by the tunnel entance next to the Duport.
Albion fan he may have been before he knew any better, but Wolves owe Bully a lot and it was there that he came to fame in the Black Country.
If it hadn't been for that big eared big head Lineker he'd have been an England regular for sure.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
When I was a kid we'd play football for hours on the 'Rec' which was the recreation ground (anybody remember when we had them?) which had been made by the council on an open space previously full of blast furnace waste which was called the 'brittle' because it had been rolled reasonably level and used for football. Woe betide you if you fell over on that stuff, it would have to be picked out of the resulting cuts using a needle and tweezers
smiley-cry.gif

At the back a me old jounior school

The 'Rec' was created when the council laid soil and grass on top of the brittle waste and marked out proper pitches with goalposts erected.

I remember it being very hard ground

We'd have 20 or 30 a side and team mates would disappear to climb 'the cracker' to look for fossils, it was a nearby hill made entirely of limestone which was being quarried with dynamite for roadstone and railway ballast, or to fetch milk bottles full of water (council pop) for us to drink.

Them were the days 6 to a bed, 3 up 3 down and if one wee'd we all got wet

This was all way before Bully's time when the Glebefelds was still old pit banks and the disused Brindley cut ran across Summerhill and behind Moat Road and what became the Maisonettes at the top of Shakespeare Road, we were lucky if we had a Wolves scarf or football boots never mind a football strip.

Just about where I lived from the age of 7

By the way Kelvin, that bridge on the picture that you asked about a couple of weeks back was close to the Netherton Tunnel, it was the bridge carrying Sedgeley Road West over the cut by the tunnel entance next to the Duport.

By the side of what was Sedgley Steel?

Albion fan he may have been before he knew any better, but Wolves owe Bully a lot and it was there that he came to fame in the Black Country.

No arguments here but he remained a big fish in a little pool

If it hadn't been for that big eared big head Lineker he'd have been an England regular for sure.

No! he came from the wrong side of the railway line! not enough A levels and a none aceptable way of spakin?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I went to the Joint (Princes End Junior) from 1960 to 1963 and crossed the Recevery day to go home to Bloomfield where I lived.
If I remember corectly the company that you refer to as Sedgeley Steel was the London Works Steel Company with the Duport Foundry and Vono on the Tipton side of the bridge.
Bully was the only fish at one time down at the Molineux, fed most of the time by Andy Much.
Bully had warmed up to replace Lineker in the match against Germany in Italia 90 and had taken off his track suit top when Lineker scored. Bully was told to return to the bench.
If Bully had been allowed to come on afterwards we'd have won the game instead of going out on penalties and the back street international would have become an England stalwart.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Parksy we must have crossed paths somewhere along the line, I started there in about 65 or 66 and moved on to willingsworth in 69. I was the first year of comprehensive.

At 17 I was working in the Kings Arms. I had 2, 18th birthday parties in there LOL. That and the Lagoon where my home pubs but I did frequent many others. I was selective which pubs I went into on two Saturdays out the year and you must have done the same.

I read McMick as apologised to Scharna for his out burst. That’s following the 2-0 victory if you didn’t already know!

I just love them bragging rights don’t you
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yo must be about 54 or 55 ear ode Kelvin.
I remember Wall ey's (The Union Inn) whch stood on the corner of High St and UnionSt aforwer the Lagoon (better known as the Black Eye) wus built moower or less in the serme plairce.

Me aunty un uncle (Nell and Howard Walters, a good ode black country name) kep the Red Lion, both the ode Lion on High St and the new Lion which they opened in Parkes's Lane.

I used to be in a group an we played at The Sportsman quite often of a Sat'dee night when it wuz a good ode boozer and George the Copper kep it. Them lot off the City day arf enoiy themselves un there wun never no truble in theer nor ahtside.
I bet yo still remember the Black 'Oss an The Star down in Bloomfield. I used to fetch me Dad's beer (tew pints o mixed) in ode whisky bottles (e day drink whisky but the bottles wus good coz they ad a proper cork) from the Black Un afower proper licencing laws put the kibosh on babbys buying beer frum the ahrtdoower. I allus ad a terste afower I crossed the road ter wum but if our old chap ever noticed e never sen nuthin
smiley-laughing.gif

To be honest Kelvin I've never had no trouble wiv the Baggies fans un I could use any boozer cos everybody knowd me or had sid me about ere un theere.
At five foot fower I probably wort wuth having a bost up wiv un I always med um loff anyroad so I wun allus ok
smiley-cool.gif

Tek no notice of Mick, he cort help it ,un we knowin that he airt got no brains.
It looks loike he's short sighted un all, e day rade the tay shert afore e started did e?
P'raps e cort rade yet?
We doe care, there's allus a next time
smiley-cry.gif

Keep aht th'ossroad me mon
smiley-wink.gif

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yo ay feraway weme erge. Hadto stop on tillar wuz 16. Dow no abarht the Black Eye though, ar ‘w proberblay still sh***in yella.

George the Copper used to sell us flagons a cider wen we were abarht 14, So much fu the Copper bit. Then yow cud get cider at 16, He did ulways ask ar erge, LOL. Ar went in the Black oss a few times to have a drink with old Derve R and Knacker P. we-a wuz the Star, they dow arf seem tobe gettin rid a my heritigde from scools to works to puds, they keep pullin um darn. If ar w-onted to get fruity with a wench when it wuz cold, ar took her in the smug a the barrel by the log fire, it always werked. Til they mucked abarht with it.

At six one and built to match gooin in a wolves pub on matchday wuz a no no. But anyuther time wuz ok!

Ar dow think yo team listens to McMick anymowa anyroad. Apparantley yow w-on Hodgson?

Catch ya aggen ark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts