A38 - What's it like in the summer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're travelling down to a site in Looe in Cornwall on a Saturday during the school summer break in August. Planning on hitting the A38 around mid-day ish. Is it really bad, just slow moving or not bad at all ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, Spent a week in cornwall late July this year, We joined the A38 about midday and at one point spent four hours travelling three mile. Next time I travel to Cornwall in the holidays I will travel overnight and if I can't get on the site early I will park up nearby. Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is not just the A38 to worry about, you will find the M5 very heavy going on a Saturday at this time of year. As Richard suggested travell if possible overnight and stop at services, etc. for short breaks and pull up near your destination for an hour or two.

Alternatively travell if possible on a week day - not so much traffic in my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy the holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Would the roads be easier if we travelled early evening and aimed to get there about 8pm. Alternatively - would they be any easier if we travelled there during the day on Friday?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A38 isn't too bad, but you may get held up going around Derby and then again as you get near to Birmingham and the M6 Toll, further south than that I have no idea! Like Richard says, it pays to travel at night for most of the journey.

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
we have been going to cornwall every year since our boys were small . they dont' come with us any more but we still love cornwall. we have to go in august because i work in a school. we always travel on a sunday and return sunday, no problem.leave early start our return later.but the roads do get busy and its no fun going any where for a day trip. so choose your site carefully in a place that you dont need to drive far. we have been going to newquay for about 10 years (lots to do there without driving far plenty for youngsters) before that the other coast near st austell. next year we are going to have a change going near st ives. we always use the M5 then the A30, this is a good road. good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Last time we travelled on this road on a saturday was hell, from exeter to bodmin took us 7 yes 7 hours did not get out of first gear, we got on the 38 at about 10.30 in the morning. My advice to you is to go another day or travel much earlier to get past bodmin area at a reasonable time.

Ron

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes definately travel at night we have been going to cornwall for years and we always travel on a thursday night aiming to arrive at our site at midnight,there are quiet a few sites in cornwall now that have overnight fields just for this purpose.Sean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi there dave ps dont worry m8 i live in plymouth its not so bad m8 u get to the a38 and stay on the a38 till u hit the tamar bridge and come off at trulefoot roundabout 1 ext at roundabout and strate forward from there dont come of at exeter to join a30 to bodmin its milles away and you will hit trafic m8 hope this helps you matey

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yep tony is right carry straight on at exeter don't turn for the a30 , and the a38 is much quieter it is not till you ar well past the looe turn off, where there is always a tiny build up and the big big build up is where A30 joins the A38 nightmare,!!

Glad everyone goes the A30 way makes it easier for us from plymouth to go cornwall!!!!!,it is more up and down but all dual carriage way as well,Up to the truelfoot round about and turn left there is a big cafe on left called windyridge use to be a huge truck stop but now more cars than trucks,!!!

Have a good trip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A 38 particularly bad on a saturday. M5 also v. busy. Best time to travel is in early hours of the morning.Am local to area so know it well!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been cornwall every year for the past 10 years around this time and the traffic has increased every time the best time to travel in this area at this time of year is most definately at night. My journey used to take around 9hours to and from the north west but last year took 15hours as we tried to travel through the day 7 hours in Devon and Cornwall alone mostly in first and second gear when moving(nightmare) even the services could'nt cope. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have done many years of end Jul/beg Aug from Manchester to Devon/Cornwall. Our experience is we leave home around 3am but no later than 4am on a Sat or go during the week (ie..Tue/Wed). We always start our return journey at about 5pm Friday. Never had a problem yet (cross fingers!), long but relatively easy journey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts