A5 to Anglesey

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, we are off to Anglesey and having an overnight stopover near Oswestrey. Is the A5 onwards to Anglesey caravan friendly or would it be better to use the A55. Route planners seem to vary on their suggestions.

Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The A5 is the main trunk route into Wales and on to the ferries to Ireland. So as long as you don't mind "mixing it" with HGV and coaches its absolutely fine. As above we have used it many times and its good road with stopping areas and fuel stops.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Living in North Wales and traveling into England from Bangor several times a month often to then hospital at Gobowen nr Oswestry I disagree, A55 is quicker (depending on the time of day/year up to 45 minutes) and easier although a couple of miles longer. We never use the A5 from Bangor unless we know there are issues on the A55. Outside of holiday times probably 70% of A5 traffic heading West leaves it at roundabout with the A483 heading towards Wrexham and then on to the A55.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
About 10 years ago I often travelled to Anglesey on business and preferred the A5; I only used the A55 a couple of times.

The choice is between a largly modernised (much of it M-way-like), fast and dreary road through the outer suburbs of Liverpool :lol: (the A55), and a slower old-style A road through some of the best scenery in Britain (the A5).

I usually travelled around March-April in the evenings, and on the A5 through Snowdonia I would often go for miles without seeing another car (even during the day); just me and a gently snaking line of cats-eyes shining ahead. They were some of the most enjoyable drives I've ever had. I had no caravan, but one would be no trouble.

Returning home at leisure I would often take roads right througn the mountains on unclassified and gated roads, via Bala and Lake Vyrnwy - but that's definitely not for a caravan!

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes it can be a great road to drive, (personally wouldn't put in in my top 5 scenic drives in North wales let alone the amongst the best in the UK, but that's opinions for you) and for leisure in quiet times we do just go for a drive just for the fun of it our old fun cars over the mountain top roads and tracks, but for getting a to b whether for work or pleasure always prefer to take the most straightforward route that is least demanding on car and driver. particularly when pulling the van.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A5 is shorter but in places very twisty and quite narrow for a trunk road. The A55 is faster and very easy driving. If you haven't booked near Oswestry yet i suggest you leave the M54 at Jct 3 and use the A41 to Chester. This is generally a straight forward drive. 2 places to stop for coffee etc on the A41 are Dearnford fisheries, near Whitchurch and Broxton picnic area. Both have plenty of parking and do refreshments. Dearnford is up market and Broxton more bacon sandwichy.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks but we have already done it, Overnight stop at Oswestry then A55, easy peasy. Only downside rude wardens on the site we overnighted at, so drove home in one go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts