AA recovery v Green Flag recovery

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'm currently with Green Flag for the car and caravan.

I've just got free AA membership with home start etc. I saw some postings on here a while ago in which the AA didn't fair too good when someone on the fourm had to use their services whilst towing a caravan.

Can someone tell me if the AA is ok or not as my Green Flag membership will be up for renewal soon and if the AA are ok, as the cover is free, I thought I wouldn't bother with Green Flag again.

Thanks.

Lisa.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

I believe that the AA NOW accepts caravans as long as their recovery vehicle can physically/legally accept your van. So if you have a heavy car and a large van that could potentially give them issues some especially as a car orientated recovery co they may not be fully responsive and possibly might sub contract or make you wait for a suitable vehicle.

On the other hand Green flag has a lot of members with commercially orientated equipment and are able and regularly move a lot of vans etc.

I used to think the AA was good but my last two experiences one being looked out of a car and having to wait 1

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

I believe that the AA NOW accepts caravans as long as their recovery vehicle can physically/legally accept your van. So if you have a heavy car and a large van that could potentially give them issues some especially as a car orientated recovery co they may not be fully responsive and possibly might sub contract or make you wait for a suitable vehicle.

On the other hand Green flag has a lot of members with commercially orientated equipment and are able and regularly move a lot of vans etc.

I used to think the AA was good but my last two experiences one being looked out of a car and having to wait 1

Jan 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I've been a member with Green Flag for five years and have called them out three times.

The first time I broke down at 4am and they finally arrived at 10am.

Second time they arrived within half an hour, better.

Third time they arrived after an hour vanished again then reappeared over an hour later with a second truck to tow the caravan 200 yds to a layby dump it and took my car home.

The RAC sounds quite appealing to me.

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
hi i work as a brakedown recovery operator for an independent garage, we subcontract for all the well known clubs as well as the not so well known ones,the only advice i would give you when looking for brakedown cover is check with the organisation to see what there limits for caravans are some have a maximum of 18 feet others only 14 feet,this is the total shipping length. including the draw bar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I am inclined to agree with Colin the RAC & CCC is the best dealfor caravaners,I had dealings with the AA many years ago and would not give them time of day.Only good thing about them is their daft tv adds.

Jim M

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lisa. The only thing i can say is check the smallprint on this 'Free' policy. I have a leased company car which comes with full AA cover, but it doesn't cover caravans. So i have separate cover with CC/Mayday using Green Flag, I checked out many different policies some of which were much cheaper but in the end you get what you pay for. As a caravanner you really can't skimp on this sort of cover,only to be stranded at the roadside arguing with someone in a control centre. CC/Mayday must be doing something right with nearly 100,000 CC members signed up for this service. Hope this helps.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Green flag on their own ( not Mayday via the caravan club) provide euro cover as an intrigal part of the package. Also the advice on company/lease cars is good. I always had company cars (when I did a proper job)It was never a problem as long as you were aware and could do anything about it.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts