AA Recovery

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Just returned from a great caravan holoday in Corwall, however whilst in the area the couple on the pitch next to us suffered a major breakdown in that his car jammed in first gear. On calling out the AA there was not a lot of help. the mechanic gave two phone numbers of local garages who may be able to help repair, left them to do this themselves (this late on a friday evening) The AA offered to tow the car to a garage if he could get a repair done. If not he was covered on AA relay, they offered to take his tow vehicle home to North Lincolnshire but refused to take his caravan unless he paid for recovery as his van was over 20 foot in length. Has anyone come across this before and if so what was the end result.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yep, Green Flag are the only organisation that I know of that actuall cover the caravan. They also recover you if you are involved in an accident, the AA & RAC will not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This subject came up in conversation with fellow carravanners last week. Is it true that AA will not recover you if it is the caravan which is at fault? I had heard that AA will not recover vans over 18ft, but I had my outfit recovered when the car broke down.One big advantage of the AA is that they do not specify the car on their recovery contract.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greenflag also offer a package where the driver is covered, not the car. The AA & RAC will recover your caravan with the car if the car breaks down (subject to the max. length clause) but they WILL NOT recover a damaged/immobile caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had first hand experience of Green Flag and can endorse the comments made. I had constant trouble whilst towing with my Omega and the Green Flag service did not let me down once. The longest tow was Paignton to Bridgend - car on top and caravan in tow. Did not even have to pay the Servern Bridge toll. In my opinion they offer a first class service. I am a member through HSBC and also have

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been with Brittania rescue for nearly 15 years, as long as you tell them you have a caravan and the size when calling them there is not a problem with recovery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can definitely recommend the RAC Arrival scheme, available to Camping and Caravanning Club members. This is specially designed for caravanners, so there is never any question that the caravan, or trailer, is fully covered on the same basis as the car. It is not cheap - I have just had my annual renewal through, and it is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had email from AA to say they will recover a disabled caravan if it si under 18ft long and 7.5ft wide. I'm awaaiting clarification as to wethr length includes drawbar

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Just had email from AA to say they will recover a disabled caravan if it si under 18ft long and 7.5ft wide. I'm awaaiting clarification as to wethr length includes drawbar
I take it you contacted the AA after my posting, so why do they not publish this limit clearer. How many caravanners are going to get caught out this summer, please let me know the answer re length when you receive it.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
This is a good reminder to check the small print now before you are stuck at the side of the road. Another thing to be aware of is that the AA will not assist if you have been involved in an accident. Like many others iam with CC Mayday who cover breakdowns,accidents,fire,theft a vandalism, any length,weight of caravan no ifs or buts. Mayday also includes Double Journey cover which means that if you need help on route to your holiday destination they will take the outfit to where you were going and if your vehicle cannot be repaired before your return date they will come and pick you up a take you home. As caravanners you really do need this sort of tailor made cover which is geared up to handle caravans Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ref my post of 29 june, the AA has just confirmed they will not recover caravans exceeding 18ft INCLUDING drawbar. I have just terminated my membership, and will join Mayday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This subject came up in conversation with fellow carravanners last week. Is it true that AA will not recover you if it is the caravan which is at fault? I had heard that AA will not recover vans over 18ft, but I had my outfit recovered when the car broke down.One big advantage of the AA is that they do not specify the car on their recovery contract.
The RAC Also offer this that they do not specify the car on their recovery contract. /just not advertised too well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greenflag also offer a package where the driver is covered, not the car. The AA & RAC will recover your caravan with the car if the car breaks down (subject to the max. length clause) but they WILL NOT recover a damaged/immobile caravan.
Just had a conversation with the AA to check this out and I was informed that they will recover a caravan.???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ref my post of 29 june, the AA has just confirmed they will not recover caravans exceeding 18ft INCLUDING drawbar. I have just terminated my membership, and will join Mayday.
I have just been informed by the AA that they will take vans upto 28' inc A Frame.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi emmerson and all, have been to the Aldershot Army Show today where the AA had a display stand looking for new members, they did indeed confirm what you say and will only recover a van up to 18 feet, likewise on Monday I will be contacting Green Flag

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had a conversation with the AA to check this out and I was informed that they will recover a caravan.???
Hi Martin and Debbie. Yes they will recover your caravan, but only up to 18ft including drawbar, and not after an accident. I have this in writing from AA customer services. Emmerson

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts