Abbey Expression 620

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I thought I would put a post on here to see what bits of info it brings in, I have today made the first step in buying an Abbey Expreesion 620, told it was a 2007 model but going by 10th digit of VIN it's a 2006 but my guess is it could be it was built in 2006 ready for 2007, not too fussed re the year but just thought I'd mention it, so far it's just me that looked at it and still to take the wife to see what she thinks, my first impression is that it's in pretty good condition and I'd even go as far as to say very good but to get to this impression you have to see past the filthy state it's in both internally and externally, it's been used for last 12 months by a guy that does motor bike racing for when he gos to races and needs a real good maybe even professional clean up, I will say its nothing that plenty of elbow grease and a couple of weeks of graft wouldn't put right, there's odds and sods need attention like door catches but the price is an absolute steal, I've still to check it for damp and ultimately before I parted with any cash do a cris check, so why I'm writing is, 1. Anyone got any specifics they know about with this model I should be looking for? 2. I'm gonna do my research but with a weight of MIRO 1394 kg and laden 1628 kg what sort of size car would you expect to need to tow it, a family car like a 2 litre mondeo diesel for instance? 3 with it being a twin axle when I had a mover fitted would it have to be on all four wheels or just on 2 the same as if had single axle? And lastly ( for now ) when look online at the specs it gives an internal length of 6.27 metres and external of 7.95 I'm assuming the external would be from the rear, to the hitch, or am I wrong? Well that's it for now but I'm sure if I end up buying it there will be other questions, thanks in advance for any replies.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello BP

The Expression range is a dealer special exclusive to Michael Jordan caravans based near Guildford in Surrey,we had an Expression and their other brand Impression,both were made by Abbey which was part of Swift Group. Expressions are still sold by M Jordan and are well equipped versions of the Swift entry level range normally.It may be an idea to contact MIchael Jordan Caravans they normally have a full page ad inside the back page of PC magazine.They could perhaps tell you the spec for your intended van and confirm the year of manufacture.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you are going to need a pretty hefty tow car. The recommended towing ratio is that the laden caravan should be no more than 75% of the kerb weight of the tow car which takes you past a kerb weight of 2,000 kg. Given that it is a twin axle which should tow better and the very high payload allowance you quote I would suggest one around 2,000 should be safe but you will also need a powerful engine so check the towing limit of anything you look at. A 2 litre Mondeo would be neither heavy or powerful enough, you are probably looking more at something like a Hyundai Sante fe or similar.
Therer are specific movers for twin axle models so that should be no problem but they do cost rather more.
You are right with your points on lengths. You may be asked the length on some sites and ferries and tha overall length is what they need to make sure it will fit.
Hope this helps.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We have an Abbey 620 Cardinal, this dealer special is from Davan Caravans and is the same as the Expression.
Clive is correct, you will need something heavier than a Mondeo to tow an Abbey 620.
I had a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 td and this just about coped but I upgraded to a Mitsubishi LWB 2.8 td version of the Pajero which provides a safe and stable tow at motorway speeds.
Check the end washroon, especially the back wall behind the sink cupboard where water from the wash basin tends to run down and of course the shower walls because the early models had wallboard rather than polyplastic sealant. The shipping length is the overall length from the front of the hitch to the back panel and it is 7.95 metres.
We use our Cardinal as a spacious 2 berth and rarely need to use an awning except for longer stays when we use a porch awning.
The carpets are removeable so check the vynil flooring for rips or tears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts