ABSOLUTE NUTTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Yesterday we decided to *** into Inverness from our site at Grantown on Spey, during the drive up the A9 i decided to overtake a fellow caravaner.

As we were passing him he put the foot down i was still overtaking and reading 70 , we got passed and signaled in to my amazement he overtook us , i was still reading 75 ish but slowing down he still blasted away into the distance 80 plus at least.

The crazy thing was he was towing a t/a with a transit van 🙈🙈.

Not shy at all , gives caravaners a bad name .

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Had this happen too me, I was towing he was solo, He speeded up, I slowed down, so did he, grinning t**t. left me hanging in the outside lane, Although better than the A9 still left me a little agitated.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday we decided to *** into Inverness from our site at Grantown on Spey, during the drive up the A9 i decided to overtake a fellow caravaner.

As we were passing him he put the foot down i was still overtaking and reading 70 , we got passed and signaled in to my amazement he overtook us , i was still reading 75 ish but slowing down he still blasted away into the distance 80 plus at least.

I'm wondering why when looking at the situation you didn't just return to the first lane, especially when pulling a caravan.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Why , once you realised he was speeding up , did you continue to go even faster?
Why did you not just drop back behind?
I would rather be past him than stuck behind a wreck on the a9 for a few hours behind him , and i was almost past the clown before he started to speed up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What speed was he doing when you decided to overtake. we would only overtake if they were doing about 55mph and if the increased their speed I would drop back when it was safe to do so. Have had it happen with solo cars, but not some one towing. Generally I stick to about 58mph.
However on the off occasion I have over taken a vehicle towing only to be overtaken by them and for them to then leave us in their dust.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would rather be past him than stuck behind a wreck on the a9 for a few hours behind him , and i was almost past the clown before he started to speed up.

But you did not achieve that objective, he still went in front of you !!!

All you did was make a situation worse, with , had circumstances been as such, probably a very nasty crash, perpetrated by yourself.

I think your title of the topic actually fits your actions.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We used to get this so often on the HGVs. Yes, you get a large number of halfwits that want to paly chicken but another issue is that some of them go into a trance and slow down without realising it, and then they see you overtaking and reaalise they have lost 10mph and speed up. Either way and in both cases its bad judgement and even worse driving.

Had that been me, i would have maintained the correct speed until he was clear and then pulled back in. I can apply speed with the rest of them but why risk car and caravan, let alone your life.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Was it dual carriageway A9 or a section with 50 mph limits?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I was solo yes, each to there own but when i took my hgv , bike and car test the instructors all had the same advice , if you are 90% committed complete the move and then enter back in correct lane and reduce to correct speed .if a half wit sits at speeds ranging from 50 upwards then plays chicken we cannot help these matters.

As i previously stated i would rather be in fornt than behind of people like this .

Yes my objective was useless but he only pulled off at the next junction so whatever or whoever may have overtook him would have been the same.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was solo yes, each to there own but when i took my hgv , bike and car test the instructors all had the same advice , if you are 90% committed complete the move and then enter back in correct lane and reduce to correct speed .if a half wit sits at speeds ranging from 50 upwards then plays chicken we cannot help these matters.

As i previously stated i would rather be in fornt than behind of people like this .

Yes my objective was useless but he only pulled off at the next junction so whatever or whoever may have overtook him would have been the same.
Thanks for confirming you was solo :)

Reactions: Fraseb01
May 24, 2014
Visit site
A good rule for towing would be to always drive as if you have a limiter fitted, and drive accordingly. If you cannot overtake and in a reasonable time without hitting your upper limiter limit, then dont do it. Simples.

As an ex trucker, the one thing that drives me insane is being in the middle lane with caravan on and two trucks neck and neck for miles at 50mph. There is NO NEED for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tended not to go into lane 2 if two HGV were at it neck and neck. Or if I’m 2 would drop back into 1. In Germany I think there’s a limit in many areas banning HGV overtakes between certain times and also a limit on time to carry out overtaking manoeuvre. Like 1 minute. But you need to enforce the overtaking time limit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The OP is amazed at being over taken by a vehicle that he reckons was speeding because he was already doing and indicated 75 which is also speeding This was in the UK where 70mph is the maximum speed limit!

If he had no other form of more reliable speed indication (e.g. GPS) he should be observing and using the system he has access to to gauge his speed.

And even if the other driver was towing, There is NO legitimate or reason for any other driver to speed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are towing you expect to be overtaken and the driver must have been overtaken many times, particularly on the dual carriageway sections of that road. Quite what the other driver was thinking beats me but frankly if you got to 75 you should just drop back and leave the idiot to his stupid antics. Hate to think what his fuel consumption was.
Alternative idea if you have a passenger let them point the phone at the driver to make him think you are filming him, or in my case just point to the dash cam.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you are towing you expect to be overtaken and the driver must have been overtaken many times, particularly on the dual carriageway sections of that road. Quite what the other driver was thinking beats me but frankly if you got to 75 you should just drop back and leave the idiot to his stupid antics. Hate to think what his fuel consumption was.
Alternative idea if you have a passenger let them point the phone at the driver to make him think you are filming him, or in my case just point to the dash cam.
Dashcam will also show that you are exceeding the speed limit so probably not a good idea. Even using a phone, with technology the way it is, the plice can probably work out your speed anyway.

Reactions: Thingy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sometimes in these looney situations don’t be dragged into putting your own licence at risk. Pull over. Stop where you can and let the idiot go. Relax and continue without danger or stress. There are some very nasty people out there🤬

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Think also in situations like this, at those speeds the moron could have found himself in a snake and taken you with him.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I see it a lot, especially when towing my work trailer or caravan.

The driver behind simply MUST get past, regardless of any consequences, which at times is very amusing when they encounter some obstacle in front of them, like a traffic bollard or another vehicle coming straight at them!!

Sometimes the look on their face is something to behold !!!!!and I am certain that it needs a change of underwear after.

Reactions: Dustydog and Thingy

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Think also in situations like this, at those speeds the moron could have found himself in a snake and taken you with him.

Ah !! but which "moron"? the one overtaking exceeding the speed limit, or the other not wanting to let that happen, in my view there are two "morons"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts