Adding a leisure battery and zig or control panel

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi there i have been in the process of restoring an ABI Monza 300 Deluxe circa 1985. i have pretty much got there now and will shortly post pictures but i am now in the process of looking at adding 12 electrics back into the caravan.

The work will be done by a qualified auto electrician friend of mine i am also due to get the van serviced at a nearby servicing centre and the gas checked before its all used.

Basically what i am wondering is what it is i need to get for my auto electrician friend to fit.

I have to supply12v electric to
1. replacement led lights in the ceiling replacing 12v striplight.
2. A pump for the skink tap.
3. I would also like to a 12v socket added for something like a dual voltage tv.

I have existing wiring already in place from the ceiling lights and from the water pump connection that is connected to a whale foot switch by the sink unit.

under the front seat of my caravan is the rcd unit for the 240 mains electrics. i can see here that the wires come in from the grey and black plugs that connect to the car. the wires from the grey plug seem to be just terminated at a block connector.

basically i have to supply what i want fitting but not sure what to get.

I. need a leisure battery as i don't have one.
2. The correct gauge connecting cables (not sure what cable i need to get, with an inline fuse (not sure what rating i need to get)
3. a control distribution panel and charger for the battery
or zig unit with built in charger.(would this be easier simpler solution?
4. 12v socket /12 cigarette lighter type socket.

some how all this needs to supply the electric lights and pump and new 12v socket. is this all correct or am i missing a lot here from the list.

Advice and help on what to buy and correct fuses and cables would be greatly appreciated.

on a side not i have been offered a zig cf8 unit for £70 second hand would this be the way to go. i was also looking at the bonus cp3 panel. but this does not have charing built in.

Many thanks.

Mark

heres a few before and where I'm at now pics

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark,

Well done for what you have achieved so far, the pictures are really useful.

The 12V system should not need to be over complicated and you clearly have a good understanding of whats needed.

The NCC (National Caravan Council) have set out some minimum standards for 12V wiring and the call for multistrand wire of not less than 1.5mm cross sectional area.

Its most usual to arrange that each 12V appliance or outlet has its own pair of wires and taken back to a 12V distribution panel which has switching and fuses.

These panels often either have a power supply built in, or facilitate the connection of one. to enable you to charge the battery. Caravan batteries should only be charged with a maximum dc voltage of 13.8V, and dedicated caravan power supply units will be set to this value. This voltage reduces the release of dangerous gasses from the battery, so its safe to leave connected for long times.

You mention Zig, and here is a link to their product web site:-
http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/index1.htm

Most modern chargers are actually proper "power supplies" which produce pure dc current. If you are using a mains electric hook up, you can use these to run the 12V system without a battery in circuit provided they have enough current capability.

The battery should be fused with a 20A in line fuse, I personally would fit a fuse in both + and 0V wires, - but many people do not bother with the 0V one.

If you ever consider fitting a caravan mover, then they make their own connection directly to the battery and have their own fuses.

Hope this helps.

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much that information was very informative for me. I can now start looking for the correct inline fuses and wire to facilitate connections between a leisure battery and distribution unit and charger. i may go with the zig as its just easier for me to get my head around instead of knowing what charger to get along with the cp3 unit, although i did like the look of the cp3 unit as it is very compact and tidy looking. I will then leave it in my friends capable hands. :D thank you for the kind words on my pictures of progress. it has been 2 hard months of solid work. i have literally rebuilt half the van. including rebuilding walls and nearly half of the floor, sealing all rails windows window rubber replacement and toggles roof light reseal, under floor edge reseal, decoration reboarding, painting varnishing, i have even rebuilt the kitchen work top using some styrofoam sandwiched between ply and edged with bttons then topped with laminate. I have ever made the curtains and am currently sourcing fire retardant fabric to recover the seating (its ok i have done stuff like this before) :D fitted a smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as well. There have been times when i felt like giving up and times when i have looked at the white spirit and meths and thought either you will clean off the mastic muck or i am gonna use you to fire bomb this rot on wheels or drink you until I'm blind lol (last two options were a joke honest) :D but i am really pleased and i know she is now water tight.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have no technical advice, but it looks like you have done a super job. Great to see a van being given a new lease of life. Very well done.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An important feature I forgot to mention. The battery should be located in a room sealed box (like you see on most caravans) This is to prevent any fumes given off by the battery from entering the caravan. In case you didn't know, batteries can give of hydrogen gas which is the same gas used in the old airships and is highly flammable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts