Additional fridge

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We are looking at getting an aditional fridge in the awning for long summer holidays, the "camping" fridges from towsure are expensive, has anyone used one of the tabletop fridges from comet/currys etc?.

Regards

Gary

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Garfield

The majority of the table top fridges as you describe use the peltier effect elements. These are semiconducting devices that by applying and electric current to the chip, they will move heat from one side of the chip to the other. Very clever devises, but in most applications, then need to have a cooling fan to strip heat away from the hot side.

In most applications I have seen (and heard) the fans are surprisingly noisy, and if used inside a caravan, it can become quite wearing to have this constant drone in the background.

The worst one I have come across was outside in and awning, but you could still hear it inside the caravan.

Technically they are limited in their ability to drop the temperature inside the fridge, and they are quite power hungry, fine if you are in a car going on a picknic but not such a good idea for the 12V system in a caravan. Some are supplied with their own dedicated 230 to 12V power packs.

I have one of these, and as I said its great for pic-nics as it has large capacity and is not too heavy, but for real and consistent cooling, I also have an Electrolux one, that uses the absorption method (like the caravan's normal fridge), and this can be used on gas 12v or mains. Its quiet and it cools better.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Domestic fridges are not designed to be carted about and you may find that the compressor which is situated inside the coolant reservoir breaks free from the pipework when the fridge is moved and bounced about during transportation.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Buy one of the Husky branded table top fridges,look on Ebay most people wont deliver so find one locally they do come along,i picked one up for

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I was refering to a "proper" fridge with compressor and refrigerant gas, we have one of the solid state type cool boxes and it's a waste of space, hence the enquiry about small fridges

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi /Garfield

Weve used a cheap currys fridge with small ice tray for 5 years in provence (really Hot), its been fine and all the french seem to use dead old units, its mostly for drinks and pastis ice.

could not be without it!

regards Maddy

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Gary, I know Waeco is expensive, but the quality is fantastic-no nasty cheap plastics here...They are sturdy and durable and do the job easily in south of France summer temperatures. Like your van fridge, they run off 12v, 240v and bottled gas. The CAB 40 model just nicely fits through the caravan door too fro carrying.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Gary, I know Waeco is expensive, but the quality is fantastic-no nasty cheap plastics here...They are sturdy and durable and do the job easily in south of France summer temperatures. Like your van fridge, they run off 12v, 240v and bottled gas. The CAB 40 model just nicely fits through the caravan door too fro carrying.
We only have a waeco cool box which runs off either 12v or mains. It wasnt cheap and I believe you can get models which connect to the gas too, but what we have does the job and we have used it for several weekends and weeks away. It portability means we can bring it into the house if we need to and it can be used if we go for days out because it can be plugged into the cigar lighter in the car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts