Adjust the fall of your waste pipe discharge.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whist spending time perusing Ebay I came across a company called Water Genie who market a complete kit for taking waste water to the drains when using a serviced pitch. It was composed of the normal waste fittings that some forum posts have described before. But one item that seemed useful was the use of adjustable supports to get a good fall on the discharge line. They use the supports that are mainly used for supporting our grossly over loaded kitchen units and combine them with a short elasticated bungee to retain them in position. Quite useful and heres a link to a picture showing what the supports look like. Readily available from Wickes, Screwfix et al.

PS Edit Link failed to show the plastic supports but everything else on Bing images.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Could be a good idea but does it not mean adjusting each one every time you set up?
What I did was re-plumb the van using 1 1/4 smooth pipe (not ribbed) free flowing and ensured a reasonable gradient from front to back. Then when I level the van just give a smudge extra slope towards the back, so small it is undetectable, and water flows freely. So in reality no on site adjustments other than initial simple jockey wheel leveling and if very bad side to side with spacer blocks on one side.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Van%20plumb%2020171118%20-2.jpg

BTW I still want more hot water for my showers! Research ongoing!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Could be a good idea but does it not mean adjusting each one every time you set up?
What I did was re-plumb the van using 1 1/4 smooth pipe (not ribbed) free flowing and ensured a reasonable gradient from front to back. Then when I level the van just give a smudge extra slope towards the back, so small it is undetectable, and water flows freely. So in reality no on site adjustments other than initial simple jockey wheel leveling and if very bad side to side with spacer blocks on one side.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Van%20plumb%2020171118%20-2.jpg

BTW I still want more hot water for my showers! Research ongoing!

Yes, yours is a better approach overall, but having used the plastic supports in various kitchen rebuilds they take seconds to adjust being very easy to screw in or out.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I have a sump (made out of a cut-off 25l plastic container) + an automatic bilge pump. It can pump the waste water uphill if necessary (even up to around 1m head) . I just use regular 25mm corrugated waste hose which can be any reasonable length :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
VicMallows said:
I have a sump (made out of a cut-off 25l plastic container) + an automatic bilge pump. It can pump the waste water uphill if necessary (even up to around 1m head) . I just use regular 25mm corrugated waste hose which can be any reasonable length :)

Another good solution, but having had real issues with bilge pumps in (real) bilges I have some form of phobia against such devices :whistle:

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
having had real issues with bilge pumps in (real) bilges I have some form of phobia against such devices

Yes! ... although my bad experiences on the boat have always been due to the float switch (worst of all being an 'electronic' one ). I did eventually source a decent 'rolling-ball' one from the US which has outlasted all the others.

Not quite the same concern though if the caravan sump (external) overflows :huh:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Grey

That is a neat job - well done.

It would be nice if the manufacturer did it that way in the first place, even better keeping teh pipe work inside teh caravan to avoid winter freeze ups. But It would take longer to install and the parts will cost more, so I might as well whistle in the wind

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
VicMallows said:

Are we talking about Static caravan systems here, or have I lost it yet again. :S

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Whist spending time perusing Ebay I came across a company called Water Genie who market a complete kit for taking waste water to the drains when using a serviced pitch. It was composed of the normal waste fittings that some forum posts have described before. But one item that seemed useful was the use of adjustable supports to get a good fall on the discharge line. They use the supports that are mainly used for supporting our grossly over loaded kitchen units and combine them with a short elasticated bungee to retain them in position. Quite useful and heres a link to a picture showing what the supports look like. Readily available from Wickes, Screwfix et al.

Been doing a similar thing for years, except we use ordinary pegs hammered in at different heights and the simple rubber pegging bands double looped round the pipe.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I worked out the depth of each spacer along the length of the pipe then cut hardwood blocks to suit the pipe brackets, epoxy coated them and screwed them in position at appropriate points. I cannot remember exactly but note that the first spacer near the kitchen sink down pipe dictates allowing for the pipe fitting, then a good gradient from there back. (Also remember the brackets themselves leave a gap to the base) I also calculated exactly how low the exit pipe would be to ensure it was not lower than the lowest existing van protrusion to ensure it did not end up touching the road on inclines etc.. Now knowing that there is a reasonable gradient in the pipework, leveling the van is easy, especially on a reasonably level site, all I do is use the jockey wheel and level to get longways level then give it a touch more to ensure free flow. In reality it is so little you cannot even detect it without a level.
http://www.qis-uk.co.uk/Pics/Van%20plumb%203%20.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:

Been doing a similar thing for years, except we use ordinary pegs hammered in at different heights and the simple rubber pegging bands double looped round the pipe.

Simple and sweet. Works for us also!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:

Same here on fully serviced pitches. Pegs and string etc just to hold the flexi pipe in place with the correct fall to the drain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts