Advice on bailey problem

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,i am just after a bit of advice really.basically i bought a factory fresh 2008 Bailey ranger 540-6 in oct 08.which cost me £10 000 reduced from about £12 000 i think? Bargain! 12 month later on the side panel on the off side next to the top bunk window(outside) there were some blemishes appearing,then after a trip to the dealer where i bought it,it was confirmed as aluminium erosion?.Now within the last 10 month or so the blemishes are darker and the area around them has started to crack(looks like a shattered window).at this moment the caravan has been sent down to the bailey factory for a full new side as the problem would only get worse.But the advice i want is about after the repair is done.I am wanting to sell the caravan but feel as if the caravan has been devalued by having a new side on as i wouldnt be to keen on buying a van with a new side panel.im not sure which avenue to go down as i feel i wont get the price i want as if it didnt have the repair done.i have phoned bailey but they arnt very helpful.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hello swiffty6
Dunno about other people, but I reckon that a caravan repaired at the factory is no problem come trade in time. For a start, how would anyone know? I can't imagine the repair being noticable and I'd wager no dealer would be mentioning the van been subject to any major repair unless questioned.
I think most buyers would prefer the caravan with the repair completed, rather than with the blemishes on it.
Cheers

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Nigel on this.
A factory repair will have no effect on the resale price of the van, in fact it will enhance it compared to trying to sell with blemishes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you sell privately and do not disclose the repair history to the purchaser you could find yourself in trouble at a later date. Hopefully both Bailey and your dealer will give you a statement confirming the extent and effectiveness of the repairs. You may even be able to twist their arms that the 6 year water ingress warranty can be extended for two more years in respect of the repaired portion. Legally imo they don't have to do this.
So if you were to px with your current dealer will they reduce the price to reflect the repair? I think not.I agree with the others you now have a newer body panel than before. This could actually work to your advantage.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Swifty6,

This is only a hunch, but are you sure your caravan has not had a previous repair done. This could be the reason the paint went all crazed and the aluminium corroded. If you are having a complete new side fitted, then effectively your caravan will be getting the best possible repair?

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I would agree with the first two replies, if it’s repaired at the factory it will, and should be, 100% ...........but if I was going to buy it second-hand and knew, then I would walk away.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
hi all, very new to all this,but i to have a senator indiana 08 awaiting return to bailey for the same type of repair,damage between front door and front window.Bought the van private sale at 5 months old,transfered warrenty through bailey, so no dealer involved,first noticed black marks in exterior paint work after winter cover removed april 2010,contacted bailey for advise,was told they would send manufacture of panel " euramax" to look at defect.this took until early july, the guy who came from euramax thought the panel had been damaged during manufacture at bailey,because the primer that was used was the same colour as the top coat,euramax only use grey primer ,i had to chase bailey for the out come of this visit but was told begining september the caravan would go back to bailey for repair,but as yet cannot get them to tell me what type of repair is going to be carried out. wonder how many more so called new repaired caravans are out there waiting to surprise thier owners?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well I had a van year 2006 that the rear panel failed through cracks , had a lot of trouble getting a new rear panel fitted, even had to contact their MD, traded the van in soon after, Noticed that the van was up for sale with a 2 year warranty, although it still had 4 years had i still owned it.Discovered that the new owner had to have a new front panel fitted under the warranty, so glad that I traded it in , to have two new panels fitted in 4 years, makes you wonder just how long these vans will last.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I also have a Bailey Senator Indiana 6 with a similar problem. In the trade it's called 'crazing' (looks like crazy paving). This is not an uknown problem in respect of motor vehicles. I spent my working life as head of a motor vehicle warranty department and have seen many cases of this fault. In the case of cars the affected panels can be sucessfully repainted. There is no obligation on the manufacturer other than to rectify the fault under the terms of the warranty.
I am not too sure if the aluminiumn panels of the van could be similarly repaired as the paint would have to be taken back to bare metal which, as you know, is very thin. However, the fittment of a new side panel either top or bottom half by the manufacturer, they are in two halves on Bailey, should have absolutely no detrimental effect on the re-sale value of the van. After all you could not get a more qualified repairer to do the job.
I for one, am not concerned about the effect on value or desireability of my van after repair any more than I would be if it was a car that was repaired.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dustydog,
If a seller volunteers information it must be honest. however a private seller is not obliged to volunteer any information about the history of a product in an advert or when a potentail purchaser is viewing the product. It is up to the potential buyer to ask. Once the question has been asked, the seller is obliged to answer honestly and must provide all relevant facts in relation to the question.

If seller miss-describes or deliberately omits information requested by a perspective purchaser that could subsequently be construed as fraud.

The prospective purchaser must ask all the questions they want to before the sale is completed. As soon as the sale is made, the seller has no liability for matters that subsequently come to light unless intent to defraud can be proven.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Prof John

If you sell privately and do not disclose the repair history to the purchaser you could find yourself in trouble at a later date.
I stand by the above statement. I cannot let Swifty think he is ok not to disclose the major repair to a prospective purchaser. Whilst Caveat Emptor still has some credibility it is not in any way a water tight defence. In fact the Courts are now taking a very dim view of people who deliberately fail to disclose a material fact ,irrespective of whether asked a question,that may have altered the buyers decision to purchase in the first place.
Put another way I for one would most definitely not underwrite Swifty's failure to disclose this repair.
We had a similar case on here a few months ago but as usual I can't find it even with this super search facility!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's a fair point but is re-skinning a caravan side a major repair
Its not structural its mainly cosmetic and as the aluminium is twice as thick after repair its certainly an advantage where awning poles are concerned
I have had a couple of vans repaired in this way and you can't tell the difference
Its not like covering up a major chassis fault etc

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
same here,i had a someone called bob mathews for euramax come out early this year only to tell me the same thing, that it was damaged in the bailey factory and repaired there.So just how many of these vans are out there?seems to me they are getting damaged mid-production from all the swinging bits being added,then being to expensive to replace a panel.it just seems hurtful when youve spent a lot of hard earned money(im a scaffolder) on a life long treat for your family only to be put up against this from a big company who you had respect for,for providing quality caravans.i have had no apology from bailey what so ever.but i will be contacting them again soon for an update and will keep you posted.

Feb 12, 2008
Visit site
I have had 2 new Bailey vans spread over 8 years. The first developed a discoloured patch after about 15 months on one side, and was acknowledged as repaired on the production line before delivery. Eventually it went back to Bailey for a new side. It was late coming back, in a very poor state, had different years coachlines on each side, adhesive deposits, and was filthy. Eventually the caravan was changed but it took a lot of persistence. I went back to a new Bailey in 08 and specified a repair free caravan. Mid 09 a patch of crazed paint started to appear on the side. Again, it was acknowledged as repaired on the production line. Despite the request for a 'repair free' unit, it obviously wasn't checked out before delivery to me, or either all their vans have these repairs. It has been repaired through warranty, but only after a tussle with the dealer involving legal assistance. I have no grievance with the dealer, whose front line staff were very good, but had to fight for what I believe to be a big let down which I sought to expressly avoid.
So from my experience I would be very wary of a back to factory repair, would get a professional assessment of the standard of repair on return to me, and probably wpn't buy another new Bailey. I'm not optimistic though that this problem is unique to this one manufacturer.
This hasn't stopped our enjoyment from caravanning, but a new caravan is too big an investment to easily accept such poor standards of finishing. However, if the factory floor repairs were done in a high quality and durable fashion, this would probably hide the problem, and what doesn't show doesn't stress. But it seems it's back to getting the product out of the factory ASAP, even if corners are cut.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Touring said:
I have had 2 new Bailey vans spread over 8 years. The first developed a discoloured patch after about 15 months on one side, and was acknowledged as repaired on the production line before delivery. Eventually it went back to Bailey for a new side. It was late coming back, in a very poor state, had different years coachlines on each side, adhesive deposits, and was filthy. Eventually the caravan was changed but it took a lot of persistence. I went back to a new Bailey in 08 and specified a repair free caravan. Mid 09 a patch of crazed paint started to appear on the side. Again, it was acknowledged as repaired on the production line. Despite the request for a 'repair free' unit, it obviously wasn't checked out before delivery to me, or either all their vans have these repairs. It has been repaired through warranty, but only after a tussle with the dealer involving legal assistance. I have no grievance with the dealer, whose front line staff were very good, but had to fight for what I believe to be a big let down which I sought to expressly avoid.
So from my experience I would be very wary of a back to factory repair, would get a professional assessment of the standard of repair on return to me, and probably wpn't buy another new Bailey. I'm not optimistic though that this problem is unique to this one manufacturer.
This hasn't stopped our enjoyment from caravanning, but a new caravan is too big an investment to easily accept such poor standards of finishing. However, if the factory floor repairs were done in a high quality and durable fashion, this would probably hide the problem, and what doesn't show doesn't stress. But it seems it's back to getting the product out of the factory ASAP, even if corners are cut.

And still today Bailey are off loading the alutech caravans with REPAIRED panels.

While this is also the practise with car production, usually with a car body repair you would struggle to see any repair, not so it appears with caravan panels.

See caravan talk bailey section for posts from upset owners!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray
I'm another lucky Bailey owner but probably moreso because I have an excellent Dealer at Chipping Sodbury.
Next to my house purchase our spend on our caravans over the years has been our 2nd most expensive outlay.
QA & QC has been done to death on here but with little support from the media who have the ability to help if it were politically correct to do so. He who pays the piper etc. We hear all about ISO 9001 and the like, computer tagging and monitoring of each caravan along the line , step by step. I'd like to see the " audit trail" of the damaged vans. No chance, that would be an own goal.
smiley-laughing.gif

However, I believe it is important to keep a broad view here. If say only 100 of 8000 annually produced caravans are bodily defective as described on here and at CT then that's only 0.0125% failure. Not a lot but a real bummer for the people who bought the dog.

Come on you manufacturers , you are doing very well at the moment so do the decent thing and with a failed damaged product at source , bin it , sell as damaged or once the poor punter catches up with you give them a brand new perfect replacement or a full cash refund! Now isn't that a realistic decent thought!
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hi Ray
I'm another lucky Bailey owner but probably moreso because I have an excellent Dealer at Chipping Sodbury.
Next to my house purchase our spend on our caravans over the years has been our 2nd most expensive outlay.
QA & QC has been done to death on here but with little support from the media who have the ability to help if it were politically correct to do so. He who pays the piper etc. We hear all about ISO 9001 and the like, computer tagging and monitoring of each caravan along the line , step by step. I'd like to see the " audit trail" of the damaged vans. No chance, that would be an own goal.
smiley-laughing.gif

i agree 100per cent
However, I believe it is important to keep a broad view here. If say only 100 of 8000 annually produced caravans are bodily defective as described on here and at CT then that's only 0.0125% failure. Not a lot but a real bummer for the people who bought the dog.

Come on you manufacturers , you are doing very well at the moment so do the decent thing and with a failed damaged product at source , bin it , sell as damaged or once the poor punter catches up with you give them a brand new perfect replacement or a full cash refund! Now isn't that a realistic decent thought!
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
hi all just phoned bailey direct and the caravan is being repaired as we speak.and they were working towards getting it back to me before the school holidays.SO ! my caravan is due a service when it gets back so i am going to contact my dealer to see if they will do my van a free service for the inconveinence.each journey to them is 100 m round trip and ive done 2.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a quick update on the situation.I still have no caravan after 14 weeks,phoned bailey today and they tell me its still in the paint shop! after its been in there for the last 5 weeks! It went down to bailey for a new side panel on, but ive only learned today they have replaced a piece of aluminium and sprayed it over! im absolutley livid as you can imagine.They have told me lies upon lies since they recieved it.I have kept on asking what have you done to it,have you put the side panel on? the reply was i dont know until i get the paperwork through? i have asked the same question for weeks upon weeks.then my local dealer BARDSEA LEISURE who have been great so far told me that the guy i have been speaking to all this time had decided that months ago NOT to put a side panel on,but he never told me this,how bizzare? Iv'e told them to keep the caravan and give me my £10 000 back.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
As it turns out we are having the same problems as you guys! just got our van back home on sun 9th january after a service from our dealer.we were promised it back by the end of september! it is now in a worse state than when it went,there is adhesive on the new panel also 6 seperate stanley knife slice marks, a 1 foot square area of raised bubbled paint, a cracked side window fixing,and 2 seperate scuff marks on either side of the rear panel,not to mention the filthy dirty state and black streaks all over it.we have been on the phone to consumer direct and are sending a letter out tomorrow to our bailey dealer giving them an ultimatum refund or replace! ive already asked for this nicely and basically it was "no, we will have it repaired again".after last time,i dont think so! will keep you posted how we get on andif theres any advice you can give us it will be appreiciated.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
another update.Our dealer has looked at the photos of the damage on our caravan and is basically gobsmacked! so he give me 3 options,either repair back at bailey(not on your nelly),he will give me dealer price for mine and let me choose one of his forcourt for book price(glass's guide) or the 3rd option court! im taking the van down tomorrow and getting rid and can safely say i wont be getting another bailey or will not be recommending them to anyone.The experience ive gone through with this has been terrible,spent hours on the phone and its even made me and the wife argue!All in all,bailey are a bad company to deal with and are focused on making money and money only.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
another update.Our dealer has looked at the photos of the damage on our caravan and is basically gobsmacked! so he give me 3 options,either repair back at bailey(not on your nelly),he will give me dealer price for mine and let me choose one of his forcourt for book price(glass's guide) or the 3rd option court! im taking the van down tomorrow and getting rid and can safely say i wont be getting another bailey or will not be recommending them to anyone.The experience ive gone through with this has been terrible,spent hours on the phone and its even made me and the wife argue!All in all,bailey are a bad company to deal with and are focused on making money and money only.

TRENDING THREADS