advice on buy lightweight 6 berth caravan

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
hi we have a new 12 plate vauxhall zafira eco flex with tow limit 1300.and our looking to buy a bailey ranger 540/6 or another caravan which r zafira can tow not a adria though.we wuw like either triple bunk beds with diner or noramal bunk beds not sure yet anyone know of other 6 berth caravans .we cud get with our zafira .like idea of diner area as kids with special needs and they like do colouring etc ty sue

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sue
Bailey make great lightweight 6 berth caravans and Lunar are also noted for weight saving.
I'm not sure whether you were thinking of buying a new model or a used one but check the vehicle handbook to see what weight you can tow before commiting yourselves.
Click Here to see a list of models by Swift, some of which are 6 berth under 1300kg

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we have a Bailey Ranger 540/6 which we bought new 5 years ago and we still love it! We bought it due to a similar towing weight limit on our car and liked the layout too. It has really worked for us as a family 2adults, 2 kids) It's great that the kids have their own area and they spend a lot of time colouring too! I'd highly recommend. Only drawback is the heating doesn't blow into the rear of the van so it can get chilly back there, but we have just always waited until kids are asleep then opened the dividing door to allow the warmth to spread! Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Hertsuk, We run a 59 plate vauxhall zafira with the 1.7 diesel engine. (1300kg towing limit). We were lucky enough to opt for a new caravan. A Bailey Orion 530/6. I cannot believe that we have a fixed double bedroom at the back and a side dinette that the kids can play at all day and then it can be made into bunk beds at night, leaving the front lounge or dining room set up for breakfast. (we are a family of four). Ofcourse if you need all six berths, the front area converts to two short singles or a large double bed. All this within the tow limit of our humble Zaffy. The caravan actually has an MTPLM of 1380 kg but within this total is a "luggage" weight of 175 kg. We simply load the van light so as to keep the weight down to approx 1300 kg. I am more than pleased with the performance of the set up on the road but I am a steady driver any way so some may find it sluggish. After a week pulling up hills in HGV`s the lightweight set up is a doddle. There are plenty of older lightweight Baileys out there, so have fun choosing your favourite. Theres no going back for us now we have tasted the luxury of modern caravanning. The tent is going in the bin!!!!!!!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I would agree that the layout of the orion 530 is brilliant. We have the same layout (although in an Eldis which is too heavy fot you) The washroom is a bit bijou but the flexibility of sleeping and seating is fantastic. All on a single axle.
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts