Advice on fact or fiction

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I can agree with Grey on that as we picked our new van up last year in may and not one of our Windows was scratched , clear as day everyone , but our van was a demo van where people had been in and out pulled on the blinds , opened the fridge door etc etc but obviously we had the chance to go and snag it and made a complete list of everything that we wanted done and it was done as for when we picked it up . Did you ever see the van before you bought it? or did you see it like online ? how did you come about picking it ?

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
We went to the dealership to as I have said we had never stepped in a caravan so we saw one that was suitable as in the layout but we were told the one we saw wasn’t the one we were getting we were getting a cancelled customer order so we flew home and the caravan was delivered so never actually saw the one we were getting

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah right , there's a learning curve for you ! next one that you may pick , see what you are getting before you go . Be there to inspect it . I honestly hope everything works out for you and you get everything either sorted or get a change to an unfaulted caravan . it's a pity as one you have looks very nice and it's not a very nice way to start your caravanning experience.

Good luck .
Craig .

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " The windows I was told they must have been scratched at Bailey"

That statement is a full on lie by the dealer.
Even though none of the manufacturers have a robust QC system in place they would not let a van out knowing the windows were scratched.
For them to say "they are all like that" is another blatant lie.

As for the other faults, the dealer is simply telling lies every time.

Quote " we were getting a cancelled customer order"

I wonder why it was a cancelled order? perhaps because of the lots of faults.
Reject it, get rid of it back to them and demand your money back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Auds930,

I previously advised that you should read up about the Consumer Rights Act. There are slight differences in the way the Act applies in Scotland, but I believe the relevant sections in your case are effectively the same.

The way you purchased the caravan which was unseen, actually strengthens your case, as you were not given the opportunity to see the goods you were purchasing to be able to check their compliance with your contract.

You ordered a "new" as in a brand new caravan, which means it should be perfect - no exceptions, so the faults you have identified clearly show the dealer (who is the seller) has failed in one respect of their legal duty under the Act .

Where a product is faulty, and had legitimately rejected by the customer under the terms of the CRA, the seller is liable to recover the faulty goods with the minimum of inconvenience to the customer. That means the seller is liable for any transport costs to recover the caravan - not you. That is part of the commercial risk that retailers have to accept.

Based on the information you have supplied to the forum, I believe you have a strong case to reject the caravan and to demand your full refund.

Its a real shame the seller seems to be ignoring your calls and messages, however and whilst I'm not disputing the accuracy of your reports, the seller may reasons for the way they have responded, but that should not include blatant lies that Damian has pointed out.

Keep a record of all communications you make (even failed calls)

DO READ UP ABOUT THE CRA and if necessary take professional advice on how to proceed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Auds930 said:
The windows I was told they must have been scratched at Bailey it’s avoidable due to the material I understand they’re plastic but struggle that this is actually how they all are !
Thank you for your reply
It makes no difference where the dealer said that the windows were damaged, your contract to purchase a new caravan is with the dealer, not with Bailey.
As the Prof and others have said, reject this shoddy caravan in writing via registered and signed for mail, it's for them to arrange shipping not you and if they continue to use delaying tactics and to make excuses charge them £100 per week for storage because when you reject this caravan it's theirs not yours!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Parksy said:
.... and if they continue to use delaying tactics and to make excuses charge them £100 per week for storage because when you reject this caravan it's theirs not yours!.....

Well put Parksy , i like that last bit ! ;)

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Just curious (and it's nothing to do with the original posting) but where do you go caravaning in Shetland? Are the roads not a bit small for such a large caravan as a pamplona? Did you buy it to live in it?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
PaulT said:
Just curious (and it's nothing to do with the original posting) but where do you go caravaning in Shetland? Are the roads not a bit small for such a large caravan as a pamplona? Did you buy it to live in it?

I to was also thinking that as if you want to tour the mainland it's going to cost you a few hundred just to get the ferry over ! no cheap weekends for you

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi Paul
We originally bought it to live in while we build a house and tbh we haven’t even towed it yet! Plenty places to go to our roads are good standard pot holes etc usually dealt with and re tar done when needed ! Single track areas might be tricky I would imagine but as we haven’t used it yet I can’t say ! There is a few small caravan sites with basic fascilties but usually with a nice view

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
A usual cabin return with the car and the caravan will be high season about £800+ but even getting off by plane is expensive! It is slightly government funded but you only get a small discount we get 40% off flight !
Another reason we purchased it was that my family are in Loch Lomond and we also have a small dog and we’re finding it increasingly difficult to get dog friendly places to stay and usually a premium for the location .
The caravan site is costing us next week for 2 weeks £480
#islandlifenocheap#

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
PaulT said:

My tree surgeon went to live in Orkney after a caravan trip there guess he might "pop" over to Shetland for a change of scene. Mind you the nearest trees are probably near to Bergen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts