Advice on What Caravan for First Timers

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone
We're new to caravaning, having hired one out for a week, we've decided to buy one but we're not sure what to get. Our budget is around £7000..maybe a little more, preferably less!! With four kids ranging in age from 3 - 12, it's gona have to be a six berth..also we will be towing with a 2005 Seat Alhambra. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance! ;-)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mich
Your choice of caravan will be dependent on the weight that you can tow and the Seat Alhambra has good reviews in that respect.
If you passed your driving test after 01/01/1997 you may be subject to further restrictions Click Here for information about B+E licence categories.
You should be able to purchase a decent 6 berth tourer within your budget, remember that the overall condition of a used caravan is more important than the model or manufacturer so have a look around dealers forecourts to find the layout that suits your needs by sitting inside a few 6 berth models.
Have a look at the Caravan Buyers Guide which will give you a good idea of the sort of things to watch out for when buying that all important first caravan and the guide will provide some idea of used caravan prices too.
If you buy from a reputable dealership there will be some sort of guarantee offered with the caravan and you are protected under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act, when buying privately the terms are caveat emptor or buyer beware so it might be worth spending around £50 for an independent inspection before you commit if buying privately.
Good Luck in your search and keep in touch
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
absolutely agree that condition is more important than anything else. To give you an idea on layouts I had a Coachman Amara in 2007 which was the 560/6 this was fine but bathroom a bit cramped when supervising tiddly peeps. Changed in 2010 for an Amara 640/6 (too heavy for you probably but just to look at the layout for lighter vans) which has given us the bathroom space we needed but also retains a flexible living space. Our next van ( providing available ) will probably be a Coachman laser 655/6 because the peeps will be a bit less tiddly by then and will allow for larger bunk areas. Although not all the layouts available within your price bracket hope this helps with layouts

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
hi were reletivly new to caravning our first was a 20year old swift challenger that we brought for £1000 this was ideal as it didnt matter what kids or we did in it so very good pratice especially if new to towing sold it for same money weve just brought a 2004 coachman amara 4 berth but i also got awning with side annex for my 10 year old and his friend so with annex makes a 6 berth set up

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I'd suggest a Avondale Dart 556-6. It's the original transverse rear bunk six-berth and you'll get a choice at your budget. Avondale don't trade anymore but parts are not a problem and prices are pretty reasonable too. The Dart was pretty lightweight so your SEAT won't have any bother with one of these.

I don't know whereabouts in the country you are, but I found this one in Derbyshire as an example
http://tinyurl.com/6xognhp

Hope that is helpful!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts