Advice please for 1st time winter trip to Spain

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Any advice on the worth of CCI, ACSI etc for first winter trip would be appreciated.

Also any problems on finding sites along Costas down to Malaga?

Seasonal Greetings to all.

Barry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The International Capming card is generally accepted instead of a passport and is well worth carrying.

If you get Caravan Club volume 1 you will see all the sites in Spain open all year. Some of them on the costas will be quite busy, although the credit crunch may reduce numbers a bit.

Many sites have a discount structure whereby you pay quite heavily up to 3 nights and then progressively reduce to about half price at 60 days or more, so look at the tariffs.

Electricity can be fairly low voltage and not more than 6 amps, so no point in taking the domestic kettle or toaster.

Supermarkets do not generally sell motor fuel (or pharmacy items).

Credit cards generally accepted with ID e.g. photcard driving licence.

You need one reflective jacket for each seat in the car, plus two triangles. Guarda Civil drive green and white cars and 4x4 -reputedly no unmarked cars. Europe volume 1 has lots of other information beyond sites.

There may be a problem buying spanish gas cylinders except Camping Gaz, so plan how much to take; you cannot get UK Calor refilled or exchanged.

it can be very cold in Northern Spain in January, so be prepared.

Depending on which ferry crossing you use, the route down the west coast of France and then Pamplona, Zaragoza to Valencia may be easier than central France towards Barcelona.

Road tolls in Spain are generally a bit less than in France. Autopistas - toll or not - are generally very good and well signed, although without too many service areas, so suggest keep the tank topped up.

English is widely spoken in the main holiday areas, but less so in rural areas inland.

Hope this helps and that you have a good first trip - hopefully the first of many.

Oct 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Barry,I agree with everything Ray said but would add,make sure that you have the headlight deflecters on !! In Jan this year Police were stopping cars on the road between San Sebastion and Burgos and any not fitted were getting a 100 euro fine ! Please also be aware depending on your route you may be required to carry snow chains too.Also be aware that the route south towards madrid from Burgos is very hilly and open to strong side winds,most of the bridges have wind socks on them so keep eye on them as they are good indicators to watch for wind strength.

Enjoy yourself,cheers

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Ray S.........with apologies to Barry

"You need one reflective jacket for each seat in the car, plus two triangles"

Genuine questions.....

Is that one jacket for each seat or one jacket for each person in the car?

Is it two triangles?..... and if so how are they deployed?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
A jacket is required for every passenger.

Two triangles are required, even for a solo car so that one is put at the rear of the vehicle and the other at the front. Strange why one should be required for the front of the vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My reason for saying "one jacket for each seat" is that many of us travel to Spain as just two, but once there go out with other people and so need to have jackets in the car for them.

I heard - although not verified - that one brit was told to have one jacket per seat or more exactly one jacket per seat belt - refering presumably to the centre rear seat - as having the seats constituted "intention to use". This all sounded at bit too British for me, but you never know.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
A jacket is required for every passenger.

Two triangles are required, even for a solo car so that one is put at the rear of the vehicle and the other at the front. Strange why one should be required for the front of the vehicle.
Thanks for the information.

Two triangles....... Hmmmm!!!

Still the law is the law.

I have recently learned that it is illegal to have a rear mounted cycle rack on a car in Portugal.

It all takes some keeping up with!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
My reason for saying "one jacket for each seat" is that many of us travel to Spain as just two, but once there go out with other people and so need to have jackets in the car for them.

I heard - although not verified - that one brit was told to have one jacket per seat or more exactly one jacket per seat belt - refering presumably to the centre rear seat - as having the seats constituted "intention to use". This all sounded at bit too British for me, but you never know.
Thanks for the information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts