Advice please for best full air awning

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
I’m looking for a new size 14 full air awning I have looked at dorema,Kensington and a bradcot v2 any advice on what is best to buy.we are a family of 4 and go camping on bank holidays and Two 7 day holidays in school half terms Thanks

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
Sun camp and Camptech also do a full air awning. See Attwolls site
https://www.attwoolls.co.uk/awnings/caravan/full-awnings

Can’t comment on them as never had one.
Have had a Dorema poled awning and I thought the quality was good.
Mel
Thanks I have a dorema pole awning which is great but all the air awnings are expensive just want to pick best one for the money and not many show rooms around Poole to see any

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Personally I would not go for another full awning. It ties you down too much for future caravan choice. Also, Sotheby’s air awnings. It complicates how they fit. An added complication for the tailoring.

I would look at a large porch. More choice.

I had a Bradcot some years ago. Terrible.

On the site I am on now, opposite me they have an Isabella. They come at a big cost. But the quality really stands out.

John

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi thanks for your ideas. I did look at a porch but my wife likes it cozy and prefers the sealed sides all round the caravan plus we have two young boys so hopefully plenty of years left with the same caravan. The isabella is a bit to much money I’m edging towards Dorema

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks for your ideas. I did look at a porch but my wife likes it cozy and prefers the sealed sides all round the caravan plus we have two young boys so hopefully plenty of years left with the same caravan. The isabella is a bit to much money I’m edging towards Dorema
We found that having a midi awning sized between a porch and full size was ideal. It gave more than enough space fir four plus two dogs. It could have a an annex for youngsters or friends to sleep in. The big plus was if you changed vans you don’t take a financial hit to change awnings. We bought a little used Isabella Magnum for less than half price. Our was poled as I prefer that type as easier to carry in the car with less weight in the respective bags.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure there is a best awning, it all depends on the individual needs and budget. Basically the the more you pay the better one you should get but there are some bargains out there.
Air awnings can be heavy to put up as the poles are incorporated in with the fabric so I would check the weight to see if you feel you can manage it before buying. Personally I would avoid the full awning as it will be a specific fit for your caravan, if you change the caravan there is a fair chance the awning will not fit the new one.
I would go for the largest porch awning you can fit, or possibly the Bradcot one where you can add sections to allow you a big one for longer stays, and a smaller one for short stays. We have a Bradcot and have had no trouble with that and would be happy to go with another.
Dorema is another good make but I have no experience or knowledge of the Kensington.

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi thanks for your thoughts. My wife is not keen on porches as the sides leave gaps for air to pass through but saying that I have no experience with porches does the bradcot fit snug to side of caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks for your thoughts. My wife is not keen on porches as the sides leave gaps for air to pass through but saying that I have no experience with porches does the bradcot fit snug to side of caravan
Don’t know about Bradcot but the Isabella Magnum ( midi rather than porch) and a Dorema porch both fitted very well, but they were erected with carbon fibre or grp poles not air awnings.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Isabella goes up flat against the side of the caravan and has a huge pads to stop draughts at either end. You get more of a draught by the wheel arch.

Reactions: Kevin M
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Had two air awnings.......never again. The Isabelka Magnum is imho way better and we are delighted with ours. No side draughts and Isabella have a decent wheel arch cover.

But do feel free to buy an air awning.........we learn from our mistakes.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We had. A poled, now two air awnings. We'd never go back to poles. 4years in our Outdoor Revolution is still superb. I'd definitely add Isabella to your list though. Quality is superb.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Had one air awning and Outdoor Revolution Compactalite pro and they have been great so far . Saving up for a Isabella they are top quality awning

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you look the whole air awning concept properly, the new Isabella Cirrus at around £2400 is probably the best. I say probably because it is Isabella, but as yet is totally untested. Its a brand new venture for Isabella under the Isabella name, however, under the Isabella banner, Ventura have been doing air awnings for some while now. Strangely, you dont see many around on campsites.

Moving down in quality you have offerings from Dorema and Bradcott in the same cost bracket as Kampa and Dometic (Kampa), Vango and a couple of others. There have been issues with Kampa/Dometic expolding air beams, and I speak from experience of that one. These can cost anywhere from 1k to 2k, and I would suggest if you are prepared to spenad 2k in this bracket, find the extra for Isabella.

At the other end of the scale, are a mixure of decent quality lightweigh ones, and to be fair some proper garbage too. These arent all bad, but you have to take them in context, none of them purport to be top quality.

As for the original question, the Isabella and others whilst not being "full awnings" do have annexes and extensions that can be added and I would have to say make them more usefull, for example when you dont always need the full awnings.

If its because of the seal to the caravan that you want a full awning, the Isabella offerings seal very very well so I wouldnt let that put you off.

Reactions: PTA and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If its because of the seal to the caravan that you want a full awning, the Isabella offerings seal very very well so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Agree as we do not have an issue with our Magnum sealing against the side of the caravan. Also easier to erect a porch awning than a full awning plus of course the porch weighs less and takes up less room than a full awning.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If I were to go for a full awning, Which I do not like, (different caravanning ways), I would still go for a poled awning in your case, The air awnings are possibly heavier than the poled.
Look for preloved ones , either poled or air. I sold a Dorema Awning for £50 , got it with my first caravan, putting it up for two nights away, was a hassle.
Check out Flee bay etc. Good bargains.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were seasonal i saw plenty of Isabella awning going up with the zip in panels to make it easier at the time we had a Outdoor Revolution Complatalite Pro -integra - annexe awning this was great but it your choice what you go for ,

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
A good showroom such as yorkshire caravans near Bawtry have a room with many awnings erected in situ-gives you a good idea as to quality and what you are looking for! Nice coffee shop too!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes a visit to a good showroom would be a good idea you can check out the designs and hopefully feel for the quality.
No problem with air getting round the sides of our Bradcot awning, it has thick buffers on the end of the canvas that prevents this. Biggest thing to check though is position of windows, so the ends do not cover these.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On our last caravan the porch awning had to go onto the front nearside windows as dear Swift hadn’t got the sense to leave an adequate sidewall gap between the door edge and the window edge. But I always washed the window on arrival at site and used a wet cloth to clean the awning vertical sealing pad. Plus awning clamps were placed in the awning rail to stop the top of the awning going side to side. Never had any scratches on the window.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH I would think that the over whelming majority of awning sales are for porch awnings due to large awnings being a hassle to transport and erect!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts