Advice please on tow bar, tyre pressure and mover.

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'm back again! :p Ive bought a Bailey Senator 2 berth which seems quite big for a 2 berth to go on holiday with my friend and dog and had a tow bar fitted to my Ford mondo.
I seem to remember reading on here before that I have to take paint off the tow bar before towing the caravan is that correct? My garage man hadn't heard that before and said will I be greasing it but I'm sure I read that I have to just get rid of paint and that is it? :unsure:
The second question is tyre pressure there is a lot of info in the caravan and the old owner said the tyre pressure should be 55psi? My car is 35psi so am concerned this seems a bit high ?
Also for future reference as can't worry about it now as away on Sunday there is a carver motor mover fitted which may come in handy when on my own, do they need servicing regularly? And is there an idiots guide somewhere as to how they work?
The last question for now and is probably a silly question but anyway - do you need a specific caravan tv? I have a tiny one which is but want a bigger one and wondered if I could just get a cheap one from Argos for now as will be on mains power at a campsite for our trip.
Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for any help and or answers
Sam :)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I seem to remember reading on here before that I have to take paint off the tow bar before towing the caravan is that correct? My garage man hadn't heard that before and said will I be greasing it but I'm sure I read that I have to just get rid of paint and that is it? :unsure:

If you have an AL-KO friction damped hitch then YES, remove paint, and NO grease.

The second question is tyre pressure there is a lot of info in the caravan and the old owner said the tyre pressure should be 55psi? My car is 35psi so am concerned this seems a bit high ?

55 sounds about right. You can get a good approximation of the correct pressure by looking at the markings on the tyre which says "max load at max psi". Proportion the max pressure to your actual load (half MTPLM for a single axle van)

Also for future reference as can't worry about it now as away on Sunday there is a carver motor mover fitted which may come in handy when on my own, do they need servicing regularly?

No

And is there an idiots guide somewhere as to how they work?

Check the internet for your particular model.

The last question for now and is probably a silly question but anyway - do you need a specific caravan tv?

No. A mains voltage model will be OK, unless you want to buy a 12v model for when you do not have mains hookup.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Bailey will almost certainly have the ALKO friction head so you need the paint cleaning off the tow ball and it must not be grease or you will contaminate the friction plates.The head also needs a specific minimum clearance so check with the firm who fitted the tow bar that you have this. It should only be a problem if you have a standard fixed towbar and is easily replaced if it is the wrong one.
55 is about the correct pressure for a caravan but if you are worried I would check with Bailey but they will need the chassis number or the specific model and year of manufacture.
The motor mover should not be a problem. basically you need to engage it with a lever, winding handle or remote auto. You will probably have an isolator switch, ours is in the battery box, to engage, then release the handbrake and you then turn on the remote. This should have buttons with arrows showing you the direction of travel and you press these to move the caravan. When you have finished reverse the starting process but do not forget to put the hand brake back.
You might find instructions on the manufactures web site and demonstrations on u tube.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Also for future reference as can't worry about it now as away on Sunday there is a carver motor mover fitted which may come in handy when on my own, do they need servicing regularly?

No
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is not strictly true, all motormovers do need some servicing.
They should be washed off especially in winter time to remove road salt (if you use it in winter) and to remove mud and road dirt that builds up.

Also at least every six months all the moving parts should be lubricated with motorcycle chain oil to keep them in good working order.
That is the roller bearings, sliders and if you have manual engagement the operating arms.
If you have auto engagement, the pistons in the extended position.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Host 25 .....Take special not of Damians reply to you. The paint only needs to be removed from the Tow Ball not the tow bar as so mentioned in your initial post. DO NOT use any thing that has oil init to clean the ball, a fine wet and dry will be fine as long as you dont make the ball rough as the tow head has like small brake pads for the stabiliser.
Regards Sir Roger.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Normally the tyre size and pressure is embossed onto the makers tally plate which should be fixed to the caravan generally near to the door. Check that your tyres aren't older than 5 years from manufacture as its recommended that they should be changed 5-6 years and certainly no older than 7 years. 55 psi sounds about right but do check as I had a Bailey S 5 Bordeaux which had tyres at 43 psi from as new. But I then swoped them for higher load index tyres which required a higher pressure of 51 psi. The Bailey Owners manual had all the models, tyre size, load index and pressure as one table in the manual. As my wife reminds me endlessly RTFM!

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi - thanks everyone for your very helpful replies I have some fine wet and dry and will sort tow ball out in a bit and I will have a proper look at motor mover when away and see if I think I can work it or wait till I get back to have a play with it.

Re the hitch I think it is an Alko hitch as there isn't the green lock button when hitched correctly but it has a big red handle unlike my last bailey so is there still a tow ball lock that will fit for safety and security? I bought a milenco wheel lock but the tyres are too fat :angry:
Thanks for all the great advice
Sam

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jaydug said:
If as you say your mover is a Carver model, then don't look for an isolator switch. There won't be one. That's not to say you can't fit one. I have.

????
I have seen isolation switches on all the Carver Movers I had anything to do with..

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Quote '' I bought a milenco wheel lock but the tyres are too fat :angry:
Sam[/quote]

Hi sam ,
My wheel clamp did'nt fit my tyres a few years ago but luckily I have a trolley jack and put the jack between the two bits that go on to Tyres and opened them up a touch , it now fits like lovely , good luck ,

Craig

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts