Advice Please

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, we have kept our caravan in our driveway until now we have moved it up into the back garden. We know that we are not legally suppose to have it in the drive, however Can anyone advise is it legal to have it in our own back garden as we own the property.

Thanks folks, Angela

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Angela unless you have something specific mentioned in your title deeds ther is no law to stop you having it on your front drive. If this is indeed metioned in your deeds it would be well woth checking there to see if there is any impedement to you parking it there.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Angela unless you have something specific mentioned in your title deeds ther is no law to stop you having it on your front drive. If this is indeed metioned in your deeds it would be well woth checking there to see if there is any impedement to you parking it there.
Hi X11, My neighbour told me we could not have it parked there on the drive, so that's why we moved it around to the back garden, it's only 12 feet it's not like it's a monster van !

We will have a look for our title deeds an dhave a look.

Thanks Angela

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Angela , this is a sticky one as I know of loads of caravanners keep there vans on driveways back gardens etc as to where you stand legally thats another thing .

I know where my Inlaws live there is a covernant on the land thats says no caravans to be parked on the property BUT there is one parked on the front and has been there for ages .

I suppose you have to see if you get any surprise mail etc

Anyway good luck old sport

Regards Sir Roger

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi X11, My neighbour told me we could not have it parked there on the drive, so that's why we moved it around to the back garden, it's only 12 feet it's not like it's a monster van !

We will have a look for our title deeds an dhave a look.

Thanks Angela
angela sorry if this posting comes up again I sent it once and its not appeared but here we go as X11 as already stated there is no law to stop you parking on your drive unless and this is .... just to elaberate on X11 you must check to see if there is a covernant on your land (see Deeds)

Plenty of vans around here on drives back gardens etc

i suppose it will depend on how cheeky you want to be

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Just to follow on from my good friend Fartie, His Windyship understands that the covenants are put in there by the builders. If the builder is no longer in business it doesn't stand. If I was in your position though Angela, with a *&%"er for a neighbour, I would seek legal advice.

This topic was discussed in length on this forum about 12 months ago but a good search engine have we not so I'm not going to waste my time looking for it because the chances of me finding it are zilch :O(

I park on my drive and to be honest I haven't a clue whether I'm supposed to or not. The difference is I don't have any *&%*"ers for a neighbour.

Usually you find these whiney ********ds have only just moved into the house.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Morning,

Just like to say I have none of the characteristics described in the previous posts and I love my caravanning too. However, I would take issue with a caravan parked on the front next door, simple as. If you have a mansion or its parked in the back garden and discreet, fair enough. Yes to it being parked down the side of the property also. However, if you live in a smaller property where the caravan is right on the front like a big white elephant, no, its not fair to the neighbours. I have been to look at a property before and not even bothered to view because next door has a caravan on the front. Not everyone has the benefit of a new caravan and the frontages to houses can reflect more of a totters yard. I think caravans on the fronts of houses lower the tone of the area and can look tacky.

Sorry, but if you buy a caravan you need to think of storage and that should not be on the front of the property.

LB, I know you are going to say you're glad I'm not your neighbour but I'm quite a sweetie really!!

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad I'M not your neighbour!! LOL That sounds like snobbery in the highest form. ETTO however.

What if your present neighbours decided to put a caravan on the front of their houses? Does that mean you'll move?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad I'M not your neighbour!! LOL That sounds like snobbery in the highest form. ETTO however.

What if your present neighbours decided to put a caravan on the front of their houses? Does that mean you'll move?
Well thunked out Gary ... a very good point :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Valerie I accept your word that you are a sweetie but if you would complain just because you can see theres a caravan by someones house I am glad you don't live by me ... ;O)

I also accept that there are some properties that a caravan does look unacceptable but I live in a secluded wide road where the bungalows have plenty of open space and aren't on top of each other. The road is also free of cars parked also because we have drives or paved front gardens.

Could I ask you how you feel about streets lined with parked vans, or even full of parked cars, don't you think that looks more unsightly than the odd caravan?

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We have room at the front of our house for our caravan but wouldn't dream of putting it there as it would block all the light from our kitchen which is at the front of the house and wouldn't allow me to be a nosey neighbour - at least I'm honest! It would be extremely unfair on our next door neighbours too as we live in a semi and they, too, would have restricted light and view from their kitchen window.

Instead, we keep it at Rob's parent's bungalow where it is discretely tucked away beside the garage down their long drive. It can't be seen from the road and so does not advertise that we're away when we use it. If we could tuck it away at the side of the house at home, we would definately keep it there but not at the front. It's personal choice but we just wouldn't want to upset the neighbours or block our own light. It doesn't bother me seeing caravans parked on driveways at all and I can see the appeal of having it close at hand for packing etc but I do think you have to have a bit of consideration for your neighbours.

The advice given here re covenants etc is correct. Rob's parent's moved into their bungalow about 3 years ago after searching for many years to find a suitable property where they could keep their motorhome. Most of the newer estates have a no caravans or commercial vehicles rule here in Sheffield. The only way to be absolutely sure is to check your deeds with Land Registry.

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
PS Agree with Lord B re parked vans on streets. Bit of an issue where we live too but can't do anything about it if they're taxed. Our neighbour opposite used to have a large white van which made it quite difficult for us to get into our drive as the road is very narrow (another reason why we don't bring the caravan home). He's a lovely man though so we never complained but he's now got a company car instead so happy days all round!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree Clare, I wouldn't put the caravan right on the front. Between us and next door we both have a drive and our caravan is parked as close as possible to the bungalow. Due to the bungalow design it doesn't stop any light or blocking the view with the exception of our front bedroom. We have excellent next door neighbours who are almost part of our family. Ted is my 30 year old sons godfather and their daughter was our bridesmaid 41 years ago. He also waters my garden for me when we are away :O)

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I would like to say Angela that I never keep my caravan at home as I feel that if certain people see it sitting there and then it goes they have a pretty good idea the house maybe empty.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My last house i lived at you were not allowed a caravan in the drive,but my neighbour had a long wheelbase van which took up more space and blocked out more light,when his drive was full he parked it on the road.

Nothing to stop him doing,much more unsightly than a caravan.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello again,

LB, glad you live in a secluded wide road where the bungalows have plenty of open space and aren't on top of each other. Glad also that the cars are out of the road, if I had the opportunity to live in a house like yours I wouldn't be moaning!! No, I don't think huge vans should be outside either, but thats not so much of a problem here I have to say.

My point is as somebody else has said, when you live in a smaller property the caravan can and does block out the light and there are situations where one could reach out of the lounge window and touch next door's caravan, thats not fair. And if my neighbours bought a van it would be on their drive and not right in front of their window - hopefully. However, I must be honest and say I still wouldn't like it as it would be out front of the property, not down the side or the back and I don't agree with it. We aren't even allowed to erect fences in the front gardens as it is meant to be an open aspect so how can one justify a hulking great caravan out front??

Once both the children are at Uni we hope to move anyway so you best all beware, you could end up with me lol.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
'Just to follow on from my good friend Fartie, His Windyship understands that the covenants are put in there by the builders. If the builder is no longer in business it doesn't stand.'

----------------------

Sorry - but that is incorrect, absolutely, categorically, unequivocally, and definitely ;)

The developer may have instigated the restrictive covenant or he may have been implementing covenants that were on the land prior to him acquiring it. Either way, it makes no difference - the covenant is on the land, and cannot be removed It can usually be varied in your favour, however, by the developer. All developers retain that right to facilitate the progress of the work. If they wish they can modify the covenant prior to the purchase of the property, allowing a non-transferable exemption to the rule (which is what they did in our case) They can also grant such a waiver after the property is complete - if they are still in business, and if they are minded to do so.

If they have gone bust, then the covenant cannot be waived or varied by any other party - so, it would be best of the builder was still around and was decent enough to grant such a waiver. Sometimes they do - often they will not because (1) they have no interest in the matter (2) they don't want to get a reputation for varying covenants because that might adversely affect there sales prospects on future developments.

What's more, these covenants (unless varies in your favour) can be enforced by ANY party who is also subject to the terms - meaning (in the case of a housing development) a 'no caravan' covenant can be enforced by any person who owns a property on that development, even if his/her own property was a mile away from the offending caravan.

It sounds unfair, it can be unfair - but it is the law and if the matter were to go before a district Judge the plaintiff would win - absolutely no question about it. None.

Back in the real world, 99.999% of neighbours will have neither the inclination or the resources to instigate such an action BUT, if one does (and, sadly, people who know their rights are a growing tribe) the luckless caravan owner will find himself on a hiding to nothing if the caravan is being kept on ANY part of the property in contravention of a restrictive covenant.

Costs WILL be awarded against the loser - and there is no right of appeal, nor prospect of a successful outcome.

Sorry to be a Jonah - but that's the way it is.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Sidney,

You're abosolutely right. A covenant on my house says that extensions etc. have to have permission from the builders. The said builders are in Receivership and have been for some considerable time. When we had a conservatory built we had to trace the Receivers and get a letter from them as permission despite the fact that the builders were no longer trading.

Val.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
You're abosolutely right. A covenant on my house says that extensions etc. have to have permission from the builders. The said builders are in Receivership and have been for some considerable time. When we had a conservatory built we had to trace the Receivers and get a letter from them as permission despite the fact that the builders were no longer trading'

----

Hi Val - you were quite fortunate, without a written variation the whole thing becomes a quagmire.

Some years ago we had a tow-bar fitted to our car in preparation for a caravan. This was enough to alarm our neighbours - who circulated an A4 leaflet around the estate (one in every letterbox - except ours) entitled 'Caravan Invasion Imminent' (honestly!) which urged all residents to contact Henry Boot Homes urging them not to grant a variation of the covenant in our favour.

You can probably imagine how hurt we felt - particularly as we have a disabled family member for whom the caravan was primarily for.

Henry Boot refused the waiver (somewhat predictably) and we ended up with a folding camper that could be stored in the garage. This was also technically against the covenant, but the neighbours didn't have the gall to chase that one.

After a couple of years we looked into buying a motorhome. We thought that because it was a motor vehicle we would escape the covenant conditions. Not so - it transpired (after much research) that the only legal definition of a caravan is that contained in the 'Caravan Sites Control Of Development Act' 1961, as amended, which describes a caravan as

'Any structure intended for human habitation which is capable of being moved from place to place, either by being towed or by being placed upon any motor vehicle, or any motor vehicle so designed'

The latter part made it quite clear that a motor caravan was, in fact, legally a 'caravan' and Henry Boot's covenant still applied.

As a last resort we approached Henry Boot Homes again - and, joy of joys, their Solicitor (one of the foulest men you could ever have the misfortune to meet) had retired and had been replaced by his younger colleague.

This young man had a disabled brother, and had been appalled by the 'Caravan Invasion Imminent' leaflet sent to Henry Boot a couple of years earlier.

He happily varied the covenant for us - and it was a moment of great triumph when we arrived home in our brand new motor home (which, ironically, was considerably larger and more noticeable than a caravan would have been ;)

The curtains twitched (and I'm sure that the telephone at Henry Boot's began to ring;), but not one of them had the gonads to say anything to our faces.

Lesson learned though - and we made sure when buying our next homes that the builders varied that covenant before exchanging contracts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts