aerial window lead

Jul 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi All.
Can anyone tell me where to get one of them thin window connectors with normal tv aerial connections. I have got one which I ordered but the ends look like they are for satellite cable, they have screw connectors.

Thanks. Martyn.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Martyr,
You can purchase RG to coaxial adaptors. Best place to go is contact local aerial installer, or try B & Q, they have quite a good range of connectors for coaxial leads etc.

Failing that go online. And type in "rg51 to coaxial adaptors.

Best of luck,

Sir Brian of Stevenage.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Check all the gubbins that came with your van. I got a handful of these adapters with mine, and as the aerial point in the battery box is standard, I presume they were supplied with the van from new. You may already have some in the junk drawer.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
One here :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rf-Flat-Wire-For-Caravans-Etc-/291167584107?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43caf0bf6b

Jul 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately we bought the van 2nd hand so there were no bits with it. I have ordered 2 connectors for the what is probably best described as a flat white plastic ribbon/tube with what look like threaded satellite connections on the ends which you put through the window and can close it without any stress on the seals because when we had the van serviced earlier this year there was slight damp under the window where we had always put the aerial lead so we had to have a new seal fitted. I put this down to closing the window over the aerial lead and damaging the seal.

Martyn.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
TV co-ax plugs are known as Belling-Lee after the company that designed them: satellite connectors are known as F-type. You can use F-type for TV but you can't use B-L for satellite.
I would suggest two things: first that you convert all of your connectors to F-type - they are much more secure when fitted. Yes you may need a B-L plug or a F to B-L adapter for the connection to the TV buts that's all. You should use PF100 cable or similar that has a copper foil as well as the braid to reduce pick-up along the cable.
Second, fit your van with a fixed connection. You can get a F-type back-to-back socket adapters which are designed to be fitted into a bulkhead. Drill a hole of the right size through the (internal) side of your battery box, install a cable as appropriate inside the van and connect it to the inside half of the adapter, and connect your external aerial inside the battery box to the other side of it. No more windows seal problems.
You can see the connectors and/or adapters in Maplin, but buy your kit from Toolstation or Screwfix at a fraction of the price.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Simply change the F type connectors to co axial connectors.Don't use adapters if you can help it, you lose some of the signal strength through adapters and as is normal caravan parks are usually in low signal strength areas you will need all the signal strength you can get at the TV.
You can use F type connectors for television but not for the connection onto the TV (TVs only have co-axial sockets fitted)

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Because of the frequencies in use for satellite. The B-L plug was only ever designed to work up to about 250MHz (i.e. the top of the old 405 line ITV band) and it is more by fluke than good judgement that they work up to 850MHz at the top of the UHF band.

But 2150MHz for satellite is pushing your luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts