Aerials/satellite systems in areas with bad signal

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Time for me to pick your brains! We've had a query on our Facebook page as follows:

"Any advice on preferred caravan aerials or satellite systems for poor signal areas please?"

So, what are your preferences? Thanks!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
When we had the old-style pancake on the roof and were in a weak signal area then we used an external high gain directional aerial on a mast, fixed to the jockey wheel. never let us down. We do have a portable satellite system, but never use it.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lizzie,
after many years of trying to get a decent picture in some poor signal areas with varying degrees of failure, I went over to satellite TV using a standard maxiview dish on a tripod connected to the sky box from home never had a problem since,
once you become familier with where the Astra2 sat position is set up is simple providing one does a little research beforehand regarding sight lines to the satellite and dish position.
this may not answer you question regarding preferred types of equipment but I have found standard equipment used at home more than adequate for a perfect picture anywhere.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Without any doubt satellite every time We have used the portable system for years now and had no problems at all .Set up in minutes.Just as an after thought do not get caught by anybody selling a digital aerial there is no such thing you need an aerial suitable for digital that can be bought from Wilko at a fraction of the cost of the one that says digital aerial on the box
Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello
i purchased a frequency sattellite finder from Boyes only about £10 you connect it between your TV and your sat dish and move slightly your sat dish until you pick up what is termed the "azimuth ( its the sattellite angle required to obtain the best signal ) when found. disconnect the gadget and your good to go. hope this helps
brian

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Dont know about aerials but if you are in a bad area you need a Zone 2 dish which is 780mm or 800mm wide depending on maker.They are also useful if in a Zone 1 area the picture breaks up in bad weather.I have just bought one to take to France and Holland as the satellite footprint has altered (Thanks to my good friend Sir Roger for the supplier recomendation)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We use the max view portable sat dish linked into our sky box.
my smart phone is fantastic giving the azimuth direction and lnb skew angle. I got this off Sir Sprocket.
Never failed to get a picture but do be careful where you pitch. Tall trees can ruin the signal.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Help needed in this department, just had our first outing in new coachman pastiche, it has the single antenna type, (supposed to be excellent all singing all dancing!!!!!!) just a black stick really, well we went to Lucksall park in Hereforrd , everyone around us had tv but we could only pick up 8 channels, all itv and they were so bad we couldnt watch any of them.
I rand dealer who were not at all helpful, I then rang Avtex who were very helpful but still no good signal, really annoying, the site warden couldnt really help as he said it had 3 signals into site so we should be able too pick it up as could our neighbours with directional arials, any ideas?
Maddy

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
madeleine said:
everyone around us had tv but we could only pick up 8 channels, all itv and they were so bad we couldnt watch any of them.

Maddy
this is the very reason we switched to satellite tv years ago no matter where you are the reception is always the same.
providing there is a clear sight line perfect TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts