Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Advice please on your preferred route from Caen to Agde. Any help with sites on route probably stopping 5 or 6 times as age has caught up.
Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends a bit on whether you are prepared to use the toll roads. If so, you could probably look at less stops while keeping the stress level low. Wife and self now total more than 150 years and we comfortably cover 300 or more miles a day, splitting the towing so I can have a glass of wine with lunch, but she has towed all the way to south Spain and back averaging 350 miles a day wothout undue discomfort.

If you don't mind the extra cost, consider getting a tag for the toll gates See other threads on this section of the forum and/or google SANEF uk. Or post again and I can explain in full.

Also depends on time of year, as many French campsites don't open until Easter or later.

From Caen ( to which we would go overnight or stay just off the ferry or at the site near the Pegasus Bridge) go south on the autoroute to Vierzon then leave at the Montlucon exit and go to Municipal at Herisson, beautiful little riverside site open from April. Have a day or two and walk round the town.
Then back on the autoroute and either go to Orcet, just south of Clermont Ferrand, or to Millau, where go to Trois Riveriers or one of the other sits perhaps spend a day and go and see the viaduct.

Then you should get to Agde next day.

Sites mentioned are all in Caravan Club France guide. The Herisson site facilites are old but clean and the river views make i well worthwhile the diversion.

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks Ray yes we now favoring motorways ( after many years!) leaving 11th April for a couple of months depending on more and more hospital appointments. I will check out the sites you mentioned re opening dates etc. Have you any favored sites in Agde we tend to use ACSI these days.
John

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Not wishing to hijack this thread but....has anyone stayed in this area late June? I am particularly interested to know if mosquito's are a problem.

Any views appreciated.

Jeff

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry no personal experience of the area as we prefer more hilly inland areas e.g Provence Hiut Alpes. No mossie problem at those altitudes !!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have been many times to Agde, and not had a problem with mosquitos, but they can be a problem in the area at certain times (ten days after rain, for instance) and so it's always wise to take proper mosquito repellants.

We love Camping Neptune, and have stayed there lots of times - meeting friends there regularly. It's an ACSI Card site.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
We do not particulary like Agde, Neptune is too busy for us, we love the area and have found some years ago a Municipal at Loupian just a kilometre West of Meze and its lagoon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts