Air awning 'Vs' pole awning advice sought

Oct 24, 2024
Visit site
When we last had a caravan there was no such thing as an air awning.

We have used and much appreciated and air tent, but I'm on the fence when it comes to what we should use for our new (to use) caravan.

The research I've done so far shows an air awning is non adjustable, so if you pitch on a slope, there's no room for adjustments.

However, as a lover and amateur officianado of the weather I can see that an air awning would be a lot more forgiving if the wind really picked up - and it has an increasing tendency to do that.

Does anyone have any experience/ wisdom to pass on.

Many thanks.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
In my experience with air awnings over the last 8 years is they have enough bounce/give to cater for sloping pitches. All I will say is that they are heavy and you get what you pay for. We have an Isabella Cirrus.

Reactions: CrewOVtwo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Opinion is very divided. Our experience of an air awning in really really strong winds ( the press reported 100mph gusts if you want to believe it) was that the air poles flattened then bounced back and there was no damage to the van. On the downside they can be heavy and are less adjustable than a poled awning. They tend to be made of non breathable fabric so are prone to condensation. However have a look at Telta awnings which are a cotton mix and are reported to limit condensation and have more adjustable features.
Mel

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Look on here for past threads about air awnings, most are about getting replacement air bladders which seem to burst, rip, tear and are expensive to replace. You dont see a poled awning bursting.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Look on here for past threads about air awnings, most are about getting replacement air bladders which seem to burst, rip, tear and are expensive to replace. You dont see a poled awning bursting.
I have had two carbon fibre poles split,
I have a go outdoors air Porch awning now 6 years old, been great and also a Carbon lite Poled awning , reworked the poles with fiberglass,
You take your chance.
Dusty Dog has an air awning in his loft, he might sell, when he comes out from his shoulder replacement,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts