Air awnings

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello!
We (Mrs Keith and I) have a Kampa Rally Air Pro 260 for short breaks and a 390 for the main, longer holidays.
We did have a poled awning until recently. There are pro's and cons with both:-
Poled awning are lighter and smaller when packed but can be a pain in higher wind conditions. I refused to try and put ours up in the wind once ... mainly as our van was brand new and I didn't want to damage it, but I would have ended up wrestling with the awning too.
The air awnings are heavier depending on the materials used and are bigger when packed, but they do stand up well in windy conditions and are surprisingly rigid once inflated.
Their price can vary, again depending on what you go for.
Packing away once deflated takes a bit of practice to work out the best way, but once you do, its not too bad.
The Kampa ones we have are made of heavier material so we can use them almost all year round and can take a bit more rough wear.
It's a personal choice and I'm sure you'll get some further comments and opinions here! :cheer:

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
We have a Kampa Air Ace 400 and it does seem well made. It is heavy but easy to put up. Three tips 1 It's much easier with two people (one to guide the awning into the rail, the other pulling it through 2 Running an awning rail brush with a squirt of awning rail lubricant makes a huge difference 3 Having a Milenco giant double step makes it much easier to reach the awning rail for lubricating and pulling.
Kampa products come with big bags which make re-packing the awning east too.
Mike

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Air awning all the way!
We have a Vango Braemar and the phrase 'divorce in a bag' has just about disappeared from our vocabulary. Because I can erect it on my own (though I admit having someone to help feed it into the awning rail at the start does make it easier). An added bonus is that, rather than hitting me over the head with the spare pole that there never seemed to be a home for, my better half can now get on with doing other things and when I've finished with the awning I have a cup of tea waiting for me :) Put simply, everyone wins.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought the Kampa Air Ace but after using it 4 - 5 times we sold it as found it to be very heavy to pull through the awning rail. It also suffer badly from condensation and we had water pooling on the roof. Another issue was that it needed a lot more pegs to peg down.
We found it was just as quick to erect our traditional Magnum porch awning and less pegs. Also no condensation. However we then bought a "Kampa" 220 air awning to use in the winter months and the cost was £160!

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Our Kampa Air Pro 330 awning came with a large bag that easily swallows the awning. When the bag is closed two straps are pulled tight to reduce it's bulk considerably.

The task of pulling the awning through the awning rail can be assisted by tying a cord to the leading end so that one party can pull whilst the other feeds. Which is what we used to do with our first van.

Our present van, a Lunar Clubman has a feed in point high up on the awning rail just below the bend so I find I can easily push the awning in and along the rail on my own and then complete it's erection without assistance, which pleases my wife no end.

We haven't suffered any condensation problems but I do leave a small gap open at the top of each door.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
We also have the kampa 330 air.we did have a vango when we bought the cruiser new.wow it was heavy some 35kg.so we took it back and got the kampa.that weighs 21kg and is same size.ok not the same denier,but its stood up well for use.As said the bag has enough space for easy repackaging .not like some awning bags weve had in the past.We have the ceiling too but havent encountered condensation as yet.and the wall poles,but looking recently at the limpit system now.looks a bit easier and lighter if it can be used without the poles

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
zoaman said:
We also have the kampa 330 air.we did have a vango when we bought the cruiser new.wow it was heavy some 35kg.so we took it back and got the kampa.that weighs 21kg and is same size.ok not the same denier,but its stood up well for use.As said the bag has enough space for easy repackaging .not like some awning bags weve had in the past.We have the ceiling too but havent encountered condensation as yet.and the wall poles,but looking recently at the limpit system now.looks a bit easier and lighter if it can be used without the poles

I use the limpits successfully i lieu of the poles but understand others have had problems, possibly when the limpits have been used on decals.

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
zoaman said:

I use the limpits successfully i lieu of the poles but understand others have had problems, possibly when the limpits have been used on decals.
Yes they do make a big deal not to put them onto the decals.Our awning didnt come with the pre holes.so will have to get a hole punch and eyelettes to fit them
We dont use the awning that much,moreso for weeks away.this was the reason we like to buy a bigger van.save putting up a awning.but now we are both retired(yes i know 49) we can leave earlier in the day and have more time to put it up.as when working and not getting to sites until 7pm ect was a bit of a chor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts