air coolers and caravans

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at the possibility of investing in a small portable air cooler for my caravan. I have looked at some in argos however these use water to cool the area which in turn humidifies. I am very aware of the risk of damp in the van. Has anyone any experience ofusing such a cooling device in their van and did it cause any problems. My van is a 2009 sprite major 6 and it is my pride and joy...

thanx

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

You are describing an evaporative cooler, and yes they will cool the air that pass through them, and it can at first seem refreshing, but as you point out they humidify the air.

They are most effective when the relative humidity of the air passing through them is low, so it can take up more moisture, but after any prolonged use in a small space, the relative humidity of the air will rise, and the ability of the system cool the air diminishes. The air become very clammy, and it is debatable which is more uncomfortable, dry heat or clammy heat at a slightly lower temperature.

There dangers with these devices. The conditions in which they are used make the breeding grounds for bugs including legionella, which is why any self respecting H&S department ban them in industrial or commercial premiss.

Adding humidity to the air in a caravan will also lead to more pronounced condensation.

Personally I find dry heat to be more comfortable. Often just causing the air to move will be preferable to the clammy atmosphere so a simple fan may be just as effective in the long run.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I went into the pros and cons of air coolers/A/C units a couple of years ago and ended up not bothering. Unless you are staying for prolonged periods in high temperatures I don't think they are worth the expense, noise, bother and extra weight.

We use a normal desk fan with a plug-in timer so that we can go to sleep with the fan on. If we wake up too hot the switch is easy to override.

We find this perfectly acceptable on the comparatively rare times that we have needed it.(We use the same system at home.)

Try it out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts