Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have read somewhere that it is against the Law for Caravans to park over night in Aires, Only MOTOR HOMES are allowed, Can any one please tell me if my info is correct.

Thanks,

Grenville

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"Aire" just means "place" so it depends on the type of Aire. An 'Aire de camping car ' is for motor homes only, an 'Aire de repose', e.g those on auto routes, is for any vehicle unless signage indicates otherwise.

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
"Aire" just means "place" so it depends on the type of Aire. An 'Aire de camping car ' is for motor homes only, an 'Aire de repose', e.g those on auto routes, is for any vehicle unless signage indicates otherwise.

Thanks for the quick and good info,

Grenville

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
It's also not a good idea to camp overnight in an "Aire de repose" if it can be avoided. I've heard too many stories of campers units being broken into etc while asleep.Best to find a suitable site.

G

I live in France and have had many a good nights sleep on the autoroutes!

I wish people would stop repeating the chinese whispers about Aires. Every time somebody mentions an Aires sombody has to repeat the fairytales!

Your more likely to get robbed at Clacket Lane services on your M25!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I agree with Euro. Every time I leave the ferry or tunnel - usually late at night - we drive to the services at Baie du Somme near Abbeville and spend the night there. We stopped there in September in company with six other vans, and I'll be there again next week. Choose your aire carefully and use common sense and you'll probably have a comfortable night.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Us too - at Aire de la Baie de Somme near Abbeville, Aire des Deux Caps near Boulogne, or the aire at St Hilaire des Cottes near Aire sur la Lys on the A26 - all are great for overnighting, with good showers available in the morning - and a cooked breakfast if you want!

G

I've used both those stops many times as well. I also trailered a lot of houshold fittings, furnishing and personal belongings to France when we had our house built.

We pick and choose are stops with care, but have no concerns about stopping in busty well used stops.

I know UK caravanners who have had caravans stolen whilst at home and have met and know others who have had their homes burgled and trashed whilst away caravanning in France. A member here has just had his van stolen from secure storage, all I know about Aire theft is that there are a lot of stories, few facts and some very questionable scenario's!

G

Hi John.

If you are using a qwerty keyboard you will notice that T is next to Y, as I have 5 fingers and a thumb on each hand I tend to catch 2 keys together sometimes and had not noticed that buSy had aquired a T!

And I don't know David's sister.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Euro,

Whilst I'm sure that robberies on the Aires are not that common in the great scheme of things, travelling wise in France, Unfortunately through personal experience I can assure you that it does happen, I still have the police report to prove it!

Sept 2002 southbound A6 Aire "Taponas" between Macon & Villefranche sur Saone a full service Aire, 3.30 am, whilst asleep in the van they broke into the van & robbed us, got away with cash, credit & debit cards watches & Jewelry, in the heat of the moment I chased them, whilst barefoot & only wearing boxers, nearly got one of the bar stewards, but they escaped in a car, police caught them in the next Aire divying up the proceeds, they were Romainian "Travelers" took just over a year to get my property back, less the cash as niether I or the police could prove beyond doubt that it was mine, even though I had the receipt from the M&S bureua de change!

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Forgot to Add,

did not dampen our love of France, still go at least once a year! just stopping overnight in the Aires, since that episode have always been able to find a camp site near to the motorways & enjoy perfect peace of mind stopping overnight

G

Please don't turn this in to another slanging match!

Once again we've a caravan entered with its occupants sleeping and the thieves manage to get their hands on "cash, credit & debit cards watches & Jewelry".

WHAT CAN I SAY!

Well I will not as the mods will probably get wound up!

This summer we've heard of three families who were robbed on continental camp site and of a beach mugging and bag snatches. But nothing as bad as we've heard from the UK.

We have two caravans and travel and caravan with friends and family with caravans. None of our caravans could not be entered with out any of us knowing!

We take the precaution of putting ALL VALUABLES, MONEY, CREDIT CARDS, PASSPORTS and KEYS where thieves can not get their hands on them.

I've had hotel rooms entered and attempts to enter them made when sleeping, I have friends and former colleagues who've also had the same happen. Having travelled in third world and other countries since the age of 7 may be I was just brought up to just take extra precautions.

We take the same precautions on camp sites as we do on road stops, and sleep well where ever we stop.

You can rely on regular caravan door and window locks for security if you want, many caravanners do not, just like us!

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Euro,

Sorry mate but I've not entered into a slanging match with you, nor do I wish to! I made a perfectly valid reply, which was & is a statement of fact, to the question of robberies in Aires.

It does happen, albeit rarlely, I realise that we were somewhat nieave in our security, we foolishly thought that our valuables would be ok in the drawer of the central chest between our then single beds, sleeping with out heads alongside it.

To this day I do not know how we did not hear anything until my wife awoke and thought it was me standing there, we definately were NOT drunk, in fact we'd had no alcohol since the Friday before (this happened on the Sunday morning) We definately were NOT drugged, but were both extremely tired when we went to sleep.

As a result of this robbery that van & the new one are now like fort Knox! 2 seperate alarm systems, safe thats bolted through the floor with hardened steel U bolts that also go through the chassis, and as previously stated, do not now take the risk, however small, of stopping overnight at an Aire

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Would staying on a campsite have made your less than adequate precautions any better if thieves had been on site? Ever since we've had a caravan we've hidden anything of value where no thief could get them without removing us from our beds, and removing various bits of the van.

Aire's are no less safe than campsites - it's the precautions you take against theft which makes you safe. After all, wherever you are, you've only a bit of aluminium, and a sheet of perspex between you and a robbery so it makes it necessary to safeguard yourself by taking appropriate precautions.

G

Sorry George, it's obvious that some caravans will be robbed as will homes, offices, trucks, shops and more.

We have friends who have had UK and French and other foreign homes robbed when they've been empty and whilst they've been inhabited. My family bought another boat this year and we know that the Marina has had some thefts as well despite very good security.

You admit you made mistakes and that at least gives some credibility your individual story. We've used road side stops for many years and also spent nights with our friends and caravanning family and have never had a problem.

Taking DUE CARE if you decide road side stops suit you is the way to go rather than chinese whisper building of tales of a variety of modern day continental Dick Turpins preying on every vehicle that stops on French road stops.

My son in-laws take. He has friends who raced back from Spain in their motorhome for a midway stop in France during the recent half term. After a delay in Spain they were pushing it driving fast trying to get to their safe French site before closing time, they curbed the outfit and blew a front tyre and hit an armco type barrier. Having changed to the spare they pressed on to the camp site and the owners let them in to a late arrivals area. Shattered and grubby after wrestling with motorhome jack and damage his friend went for a late shower and must have lost his keys to the motorhome but did not realise until after a morning search. Two bikes were stolen during the night and a surf canoe and a locker emptied, keys were with the ignition keys.

Damage to the motorhome from the collision has been priced at over

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just to back-up my view - years ago I was on a site in the Gard area of France, with my two sons (being a single parent at the time). I left

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much ray (c) you answered the question and i now understand the diference in the aires. every one else has been talking about the safety of parking at aires, all very interesting and informative, thanks for all the info.

grenville.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts