Airing the van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My van was bought new last year, and is stored in the open countryside on hard standing. The inside this time of year feels very cold, and the bed (permanant) also feels very cold, but not damp, being a modern van it is well ventilated. My question is, when we are down there doing odd jobs, is it a good idea to have the gas fire on full to warm things up a bit, or would this cause more moisture in the air, also do modern vans need the crystal/salts to absorb moisture.

thanks, Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Evening Tim,

Re airing van: I would'nt use the gas fire as the process of burning the gas gives off a lot of moisture, thus self defeating! When visiting the caravan, I would take the opportunity of just opening the windows and giving it a good "blow thru". In terms of the crystals, you can always put them out and if no damp is present, they won't have to do any work! We have had good results from the crystals in the past with older vans, but not so much neccessity with our last two which have been brand new.

Hope this helps,

Max.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim,

I am a caravanner of 36yrs and just put 2 bowls of salt in our caravan, I do dry it out every 6 weeks and this does keep that damp feeling down,I do know there are one or two guys who come on this forum now and again and disagree with my method but we have NEVER had a problem ,give it a try see what you think.Good Luck and happy caravanning.Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Response to Max. Most modern caravans (1980 onwards) will have been fitted with a Carver or Truma space heater. both these manufactures only made heaters of the ROOM SEALED variety, which means none of the products of combustion (including the water vapour) will enter the living space. They will only produce warm dry air. It is most likely that Tim has one of these heaters and as such could use it to warm the caravan if he wished. Other manufacturers (Electrolux and Attwood) also produced room sealed heaters. Check your heaters instructions which will tell you if it is "room sealed" or not.

TRENDING THREADS