Al-Ko AAA Premium Brake upgrade

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I have thought about upgrading the brakes on my 2015 Coachman 575/4.
The cost is fairly high but its an safety item and skimping on such items can be unwise.
I was surprised that the improvement in the brake performance was noticeable right away. I was under the impression that the automatic adjusters compensated brake shoe wear and that was how Alko could claim improved performance.
I assume that the hubs and brake drums will still have to be removed at the annual service?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
GD485 said:
Hi,
I have thought about upgrading the brakes on my 2015 Coachman 575/4.
The cost is fairly high but its an safety item and skimping on such items can be unwise.
I was surprised that the improvement in the brake performance was noticeable right away. I was under the impression that the automatic adjusters compensated brake shoe wear and that was how Alko could claim improved performance.
I assume that the hubs and brake drums will still have to be removed at the annual service?

The article says that Alko recommend clean and inspect the brake drums at annual service. Makes sense on a safety related item.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely the premium brake should be standard on all ALKO chassis and one should not be paying for any upgrade. Are they admitting they have been supplying an inferior product for years?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Surely the premium brake should be standard on all ALKO chassis and one should not be paying for any upgrade. Are they admitting they have been supplying an inferior product for years?

This returns to a point I made in another thread recently. The normal brakes are sufficient to meet the "standard" for braking systems. They work well enough, and are sufficiently reliable.

But the point I made is that "standards" represent the minimum acceptable performance, and it usually means the product has some scope for improvements.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
If a self-adjusting brake is any better than a newly manually adjusted brake, than the guy doing the manual adjustment needs to hone his skills. The difference would be in the longer term as the shoes wear. However, considering the low mileage of most caravans (compared with cars) between services, and the gentler braking that should go with a caravan driving style, that effect is not going to be large.

Personally, and having worked on many cars, I have always found self-adjusting brakes a pain in the posterior, and they very often do not self-adjust optimally once the components have become a bit worn. When re-assembling a "self-adjusting" brake I usually find myself manually adjusting it to start with (by taking the drum on-and-off and pushing the ratchet round) and it is far more tiresome than a simple manual adjuster. Don't get me started about actually assembling a self-adjust mechanism - I liken it to those 3-dimensional wire puzzles I used to have as a kid, but full-sized and with the addition of powerful springs fighting against your putting the parts into place.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
If a self-adjusting brake is any better than a newly manually adjusted brake, than the guy doing the manual adjustment needs to hone his skills. The difference would be in the longer term as the shoes wear. However, considering the low mileage of most caravans (compared with cars) between services, and the gentler braking that should go with a caravan driving style, that effect is not going to be large.

Personally, and having worked on many cars, I have always found self-adjusting brakes a pain in the posterior, and they very often do not self-adjust optimally once the components have become a bit worn. When re-assembling a "self-adjusting" brake I usually find myself manually adjusting it to start with (by taking the drum on-and-off and pushing the ratchet round) and it is far more tiresome than a simple manual adjuster. Don't get me started about actually assembling a self-adjust mechanism - I liken it to those 3-dimensional wire puzzles I used to have as a kid, but full-sized and with the addition of powerful springs fighting against your putting the parts into place.

Basically you are saying don't waste your money! Another issue is when it goes in for sevicing and the service person fiddles with the mechanism not really knowing what they are doing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that gradually these brakes will become a part of the OEM fit just as stabilisers and ATC have become on a wide range of caravans. But the service centres that I’ve used this past few years have all been Alko approved fitment centres, and just like the garages that I use I am quite confident in their ability to service the equipment properly, and whilst I still tend to check over my vehicles when handed back I’ve not found anything untoward

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Do you know in 40+ years of towing my caravans 1,000's of miles, never once in all those years and miles have I felt that the van brakes were inadequate!

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
As one who was forced to carryout a full blown ABS activating emergency stop from 60mph whilst towing, I think anything that reduces my stopping distance by 5 metres is well worth having in case I'm given less space next time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok. As an old dog let me wind you all up and say” Whata load of rubbish”.
Looking at the available photos the brake surface area of the two systems looks identical.
So , for the Prof, the coefficient of friction between the two systems can’ t be much different.
Are Al-ko trying to say an auto adjustment system is better than a regularly serviced manual system?
If it is so efficient will it immediately become a-standard fit?
I’m not sure this whole thing is actually for the benefit of the end user.
We shall see.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Looking at the available photos the brake surface area of the two systems looks identical.
So , for the Prof, the coefficient of friction between the two systems can’ t be much different.
Are Al-ko trying to say an auto adjustment system is better than a regularly serviced manual system?
We shall see.

I think it’s mainly due to the reduced free cable before brakes touch the drum. They act more quickly. But it’s hard to define “regularly serviced “ as I doubt that many caravanners will be adjusting or having their brakes adjusted at intervals less than the annual service regardless of how far they tow in a year. And I guess that there’s a sizeable minority who don’t have an annual service. If self adjusting brakes were to become more widespread then it may prevent someone moving my end bed 5m forwards. After all my old father used to have a 1938 Ford 10. That had adjustable cable brakes which were awful. It’s Morris Series E replacement had hydraulic self adjusting. And the latter car didnt waltz around under braking. Plus my father saved time to do other things.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
We shall see.

Clive ,
My 1983 NR Nimrod trailer tent had hydraulic self adjusting brakes. 35 years on where are we going :blink: :oops: :woohoo:

I think it’s mainly due to the reduced free cable before brakes touch the drum. They act more quickly. But it’s hard to define “regularly serviced “ as I doubt that many caravanners will be adjusting or having their brakes adjusted at intervals less than the annual service regardless of how far they tow in a year. And I guess that there’s a sizeable minority who don’t have an annual service. If self adjusting brakes were to become more widespread then it may prevent someone moving my end bed 5m forwards. After all my old father used to have a 1938 Ford 10. That had adjustable cable brakes which were awful. It’s Morris Series E replacement had hydraulic self adjusting. And the latter car didnt waltz around under braking. Plus my father saved time to do other things.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
We shall see.

Clive ,
My 1983 NR Nimrod trailer tent had hydraulic self adjusting brakes. 35 years on where are we going :blink: :oops: :woohoo:

The point is that having self adjusting brakes on his Series E saved my father valuable weekend time trying to achieve a suitable braking force. But to answer your original comment the article on the Alko Premium says that the Premium brakes have reduced cable movement cf to standard brakes so the shoes will come into contact more quickly than correctly adjusted standard brakes. This reduced hysteresis effect equated to 5m reduced braking distance. Equivalent to my engine being repositioned onto the tow hitch. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts