Al-Ko friction pad HELP ,Urgent!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm having an old tree removed at home this morning. I left my tow cars keys so that my caravan could be moved to allow the tree surgeons access. Despite leaving instructions to use my car they have moved the caravan with their Pick-up with a VERY greasy tow ball and left the caravan attached to it.

Will cleaning the pads with some kind of spirit be OK. Or should I replace the pads?

If I need to replace them, where can I get them off the shelf today as we are going away on Friday. Any suggested stockists in the Surrey Hant's area please, as my service man is away on holiday in his caravan :)

Thank's Sadie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My brother in law who owns and runs a garage, recommends using a trade supply used for cleaning carburetters. This comes in a an aerosol, and is highly active at removing grease and other mor stubborn deposits. This might do the trick

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Well the easy answer is replace the pads, but unless you can pick up a replacement set and fit them tonight - cleaning could be an option.

Whatever you decide, you'll need loads of clean, cotton rags and white spirit.

1. Wipe away as much of the grease as possible before using any solvent

2. Grease is a petroleum based material - so it'll dissolve best in a petroleum solvent, like white spirit.

Brake cleaner (which is a 50:50 mix of petroleum solvent and alcohol) is OK for routine cleaning, but the alcohol will dilute it's ability to strip away grease...

3. Petroleum solvents also dissolve the natural grease in skin, so wear gloves - like surgeons latex (or neoprene) gloves - otherwise you'll have some very dry skin afterwards or worse...

4. Soak a part of the rag in white spirit and rub over the inner surface of the coupling, and obviously pay particular attention to the surface of the pads.

Repeat until clean... and that's the difficult part to judge, especially as we can't see how contaminated your pads are, but it should be possible to clean them satisfactorily...

Robert

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

Firstly, try some brake & clutch cleaner spray, available from any good motor factors/Halfords, DO NOT USE white spirit as this leaves its own oily residue.

If after spraying then you can still see grease on the pads then replacement is the only cure.

Likely stockists in Surrey/Hants would be Chichester caravans at Salfords near Redhill 01737 768266 (on the A23 between Redhill & Gatwick) Michael Jordan Caravans at Gomshall 01483 203335 on the A25 between Dorking & Guildford, Chichester Caravans Main Road Winchester 01962 714844, Camping international Brighton Rd Horsham 01403 255458 on the A281 Horsham to Cowfold Rd

Secondly, the tree surgeons have not followed your specific instructions and so not only caused damage to your property but are in breach of contract, and as such are liable for all the costs to rectify the situation, a quick letter to the the owner/md of the firm setting out that despite your instructions they f**ked up and by their actions have ruined a safety device fitted to your caravan.

Lastly, if the worst comes to the worst & you can't clean the pads suffiiently & you can't replace them in time, remember that you can still tow the van BUT with reduced or no damping (stabilising) effect, you'll have to make sure that the loading & nose weights are spot on & that you travel at a slightly reduced speed, up until I bought the latest van in 2006 I towed for nearly 30 years without a stabiliser & without any dramas.

let us kow how you get on please!

George

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all.

We are on to suggesteted dealers. Hubby Dave is a race engineer and we have a workshop full of parts including spray cleaners for brakes and fuel systems.

I'll be back :)

Great help.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

Try using brake & clutch cleaner spray available from any good car accessory shop or Halfords, if that doesn't do the trick then replacement is the only answer.

For replacement pads try Chichester caravans Salfods near Redhill 01737 768266, Michael Jordan Caravans Gomshall 01483 203335, Chichester caravans Winchester 01962 714844, Camping International Horsham 01403 255458.

If worst comes to worst & you can't clean them sufficiently & can't get replacements, remember that you can still tow, albeit with reduced or no damping (stabilising)effect, you'll just have to get the loadings & nose weight spot on.

I'm just about to leave the office in Bexley Kent & make my way to the Worthing area in west Sussex, call me on my mobile as I may be able to help in another way, I'll expain on the phone.

George

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

Try using brake & clutch cleaner spray available from any good car accessory shop or Halfords, if that doesn't do the trick then replacement is the only answer.

For replacement pads try Chichester caravans Salfods near Redhill 01737 768266, Michael Jordan Caravans Gomshall 01483 203335, Chichester caravans Winchester 01962 714844, Camping International Horsham 01403 255458.

If worst comes to worst & you can't clean them sufficiently & can't get replacements, remember that you can still tow, albeit with reduced or no damping (stabilising)effect, you'll just have to get the loadings & nose weight spot on.

I'm just about to leave the office in Bexley Kent & make my way to the Worthing area in west Sussex, call me on my mobile as I may be able to help in another way, I'll expain on the phone.

George
Sadie, sorry about the repeated post as it appeared that the first one didn't go through!!!!! but still call me. George

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

George
Sadie, please read second post. George

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
George,

I'm sorry - but white spirit does not leave a oily residue - that's an old wives tale and there's no basis in fact...

White Spirit is a low boiling point hydrocarbon solvent, mainly aromatic hydrocarbons (at least 50% xylene) and the remainder aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Aerosol brake cleaner is made up of - guess what - 50% alcohol and 50% aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons.

Both white spirit and aerosol brake cleaner are recommended by AL-KO to clean tow-balls and friction pads, but when it comes to removing grease - white spirit will work best.

Robert

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Gentlemen.

After my dippy hissy fit this morning, a post here and wet call to my husband. The answer was in a green can of brake cleaner in his workshop.

The tree surgeon is the son of a family friend and very sorry for the trouble caused. He cleaned out most if the grease with white spirit. My sales manager a fellow caravanner has the same tow hitch and is a spares for spares kind of caravanner. I sent him the list of likely suppliers as he is working locally today but he had spare pads himself. They have cleaned the pads and housing with the spray cleaner and the pads are fine.

Ian the tree surgeon has also found that the spray cleaners works a treat cleaning tree sap from a chainsaw.

Thank you all for the help again and thank you to GeorgeB for his kind offer of help.

Note. It may be a good idea for the moderators to remove Georges personal mobile phone number above.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Sadie,

So glad you got it sorted! & thanks for the suggestion to the Mod to remove my phone number, only gave it because I could have diverted to any of the dealers on my route, picked up the pads for you & drop them off to any location you wanted.

Anyway, time for a large glass of something cold!

Enjoy your hols.

George

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
A knight in shining armour indeed :)

Thank you again for you kind offer George.

True caravanning spirit of helping one another. Heading for ferry in the wee hours so no 'drink' for me this evening:-(

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
A knight in shining armour indeed :)

Thank you again for you kind offer George.

True caravanning spirit of helping one another. Heading for ferry in the wee hours so no 'drink' for me this evening:-(
My caravan has a alko hitch and my trailer has the normal one I just use a baby wipe to clean

I know everybody's remarks are meant to be helpful but sometimes simple things work without going over the top

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts