AL-KO v Winterhoff stabilisers

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
I have just had a Witter towbar fitted for use with an AL-KO stabiliser, can this also be used with a Winterhoff stabiliser.

Also how do AL-KO and Winterhoff stabilisers compare with each other? ? ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've got a copy of a comparison test of integrated stabilisers (it also includes the less well known Westfalia SSK-3) and performancewise there was nothing to choose between the AlKo AKS 3004 and the Winterhoff WS3000D. The Winterhoff scored slightly better in ease of operation but the differences were minor.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I forgot to say that if the towbar is OK for the AlKo it will also be OK for the Winterhoff.

In addition to having to comply with the standard towball dimensions specified in Annex V paragraph 1.4 of EU Directive 94/20/EC, the above stabilisers require at least 85mm of unrestricted movement, measured from the centre of the towball. (The EU standard only requires 65mm to the bumper and, in the case of bolt-on brackets, 40mm to the mounting flange.) That's why brackets for use with these stabilisers are specific. Swan neck towbars, of course, don't have a flange which could get in the way. Both stabilisers also require undercuts under the towball but these are specified in the standard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Going out this weekend to look at some secondhands Tourers having just sold our Pennine Pathfinder 600TC.
Phil you dont say what car you have but if it has a rear mounted spare wheel go for the winterhoff besides they are a lot less messy to use than the alko

TRENDING THREADS