Al-Ko wheel lock receiver cap

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We recently picked up a new caravan from our local dealer, supplied with an Al-Ko wheel lock.
That evening when I went to put the new wheel lock on at home, I was surprised to find that there was no plastic 'screwdriver' blade fitted to the other end of the socket brace tool!
On my old Al-Ko lock I could use this end of the brace tool to undo the yellow plastic dust cover from the receiver by inserting it through the spokes of the wheel and using it like a screwdriver. Very useful.
In the end I had to dig out my largest real screwdriver from the toolbox in order to get the yellow plug out, as I couldn't get my large paws in there to unscrew it by hand.
Have Al-Ko stopped manufacturing the brace with this useful tool on the end? Or have I just been given a duff one? Thoughts?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Either my wife or myself remove the yellow dust cap by hand and have never found the need to use another tool. I have never seen this plastic screwdriver and we have had ALKO locks for the past 11 years.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Either my wife or myself remove the yellow dust cap by hand and have never found the need to use another tool. I have never seen this plastic screwdriver and we have had ALKO locks for the past 11 years.
Hi Buckman. It's the plastic blade shape on the opposite end of the brace. See photo. Mine is just a flat end bung but the previous tool had this blade/screwdriver end. I can't get my hands in there to turn the thing otherwise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-103822_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-103822_Samsung Internet.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman. It's the plastic blade shape on the opposite end of the brace. See photo. Mine is just a flat end bung but the previous tool had this blade/screwdriver end. I can't get my hands in there to turn the thing otherwise.
TBH we may have as per the photo but never thought it was for removing the yellow bung. In the old days that was for removing the hub cap on a car.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whittle yourself one out of a bit of dowel, twig or other bit of wood, either to jam into the supplied handle or as a stand alone tool. Would be far lighter than carrying a screw-driver, be integrated where needed and strong enough for what ought to be kept as a light duty task.

Leaving it off seems the height of cost saving on what is very expensive kit, but it is easily got around, shame it is needed if that is a change they have made.

Reactions: Travelling-Wilbury
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We recently picked up a new caravan from our local dealer, supplied with an Al-Ko wheel lock.
That evening when I went to put the new wheel lock on at home, I was surprised to find that there was no plastic 'screwdriver' blade fitted to the other end of the socket brace tool!
On my old Al-Ko lock I could use this end of the brace tool to undo the yellow plastic dust cover from the receiver by inserting it through the spokes of the wheel and using it like a screwdriver. Very useful.
In the end I had to dig out my largest real screwdriver from the toolbox in order to get the yellow plug out, as I couldn't get my large paws in there to unscrew it by hand.
Have Al-Ko stopped manufacturing the brace with this useful tool on the end? Or have I just been given a duff one? Thoughts?
Mines got a chisel plastic end. But I can get my fingers through the alloy spokes so I use it for the last part turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Travelling-Wilbury
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Both our yellow plastic caps dropped out of the hole at the bottom of the bin somewhere and are now lost-never use them!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Both our yellow plastic caps dropped out of the hole at the bottom of the bin somewhere and are now lost-never use them!
We always use them as on a previous caravan we had difficulty removing the lock and can only assume it was because of dirt.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

Mine, when removed, lives safe and securely in the VHS type cassette case they provided, where it has a receiver hole to keep it safe.
Have they now done away with that case as well?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think it was at service they went missing-but wouldn't accuse anyone-they were kept in the door bin and were small enough to drop through the hole in its bottom!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts