Alde Heating Fluids.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a vague memory of hearing that there are two types of fluid for the Alde heating system, one that lasts for two or three years and the other lasts around 10. I may be wrong but is this true?

Secondly, I notice this morning that my fluid which used to sit half way between min and max on the reservoir has dipped to just on minimum. I have no apparent leaks, but as the caravan has been idle for twenty months or so, I was wondering about evaporation.

Now the burning question is, can I simply top up this fluid in this case. If there is a dfference in colour between the two variants, mine is the blue one. I seem to remember being told the long life on was pink??? It looks to be around an inch lower than it was.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
No definitely don't mix them-they can react and create a gel like substance that blocks pipes etc-needs a flush before the change-the new stuff is 5 years and is simply automotive 5 year coolant-rather than the 2 year stuff.

Simply top up with a few drops of distilled water-it should be about 1cm over minimum a teeny dilution won't make any difference.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
No these can't be mixed, i just had mine done end last yr , the alde 5yr is pink 👍.

But you can buy the equivalent cheaper than the alde stuff.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just add distilled water however before doing that run the system first and then check the level. We made that mistake and added distilled water as level was below minimum. After running system level settled at over the max mark and had to drain off fluid.

Reactions: Thingy

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
No waste of cash, its in the shed. :)

But is what you have in the shed at all suitable?

Note; the level is significantly affected by temperature, now it is cold, so the level will be lower than in warmer times.
Being on the low mark, now in the present ambient would not unduly worry me, just make me aware I need to keep an eye on it.
And I certainly would not top it up with auto antifreeze, even if I had some in the shed, if I did not know that what was in the shed was suitable.

On the minimum mark, you at most only need to add enough to be a centimetre above the "min" mark. Topping up now with deionised water is excellent advice, should you feel the urgency to do anything, way lower risk than topping up with something that might not be suitable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the last UK built vans to be factory charged with the blue two year life fluids were the 2019 model year?
If I am right, then most of those are coming due now for a change.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Funny enough, and luckily too, I ran the heating before topping up and its amazing how much expansion there seems to be. Looks like it doesent need topping up. Glad I asked.

But is what you have in the shed at all suitable?

VW G12++

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Funny enough, and luckily too, I ran the heating before topping up and its amazing how much expansion there seems to be. Looks like it doesent need topping up. Glad I asked.

VW G12++

Yes, it expands a lot, but the level checking is done with it at ambient temperature, though that itself varies. Hope it gets warmer very soon!

The VW G12++, is as you found out about as good as it gets, VW G13 though that little bit kinder to the planet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For others; Comma GG40 meets VW G13, [ full spec VW TL 774 J],
Comma G40 meeting VW12++ , [VW 774 G], both relatively available and genuine to spec products.

THIS LINK is further sound reading.

Reactions: Thingy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts