Alde Heating

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We are having our first trip on Monday, having had only Truma blown air before, how long does Alde take to warm up? The dealers had it on when we picked it up and it was nice and warm.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Slower than blown air. How long it takes to warm the van will depend on the size of the van and, crucially, how many times the OH opens the van door and leaves it open. (We have never argued about this :whistle: )
We were in our van on the weekend that the beast from the east was departing. Outside temperature around zero or minus one. It was probably an hour before it got to the 21degrees we had set it to, but it would have been considerably quicker had the door remained closed. This is on a Valencia. (4 berth, fixed bed, end bathroom size of van)
Mel

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I should have said our caravan is a Lunar SB.
One other point comes to mind. We have only ever used ours on the 2kw electric setting but there is the option of using gas or both gas and electric together for a quicker warm-up but I doubt that you would need to'

I always fill the water system first so that is heated too.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , ours is a 6 berth and we have blown air heating and doesn't take that long to come up to heat I'm quite happy with that. Normally put the stat to about 25° by time you potter on and do stuff in the caravan you'll be turning it down before you know it. I only have mine on the electric, I've never done it on a mix of electric and gas.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Craig we have gone from a Lunar with blown air which we didn't have a problem with apart from the end washroom never really got that warm. The 2 berth Bailey we have changed to has radiator in the washroom so it will be interesting to compare.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
The ALDE wet system seems designed on the assumption that you want to maintain a constant temperature most of the time. Maybe that is precisely the way many people use it ....especially in the UK where 'unlimited' electricity is often included in the site fee.

It is a different story if you are not inclined to heat the 'van constantly, but like a quick burst of heat as-and-when, such as early in the morning; or when returning to the 'van in the evening. If you are on metered electricity (as common abroad) or non-EHU and using gas, this is also likely to influence your style of heating.

Personally, a good old-fashioned TRUMA fire, + a couple of blown-air outlets will always be my preference for my style of caravaning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
VicMallows said:
The ALDE wet system seems designed on the assumption that you want to maintain a constant temperature most of the time. Maybe that is precisely the way many people use it ....especially in the UK where 'unlimited' electricity is often included in the site fee.

It is a different story if you are not inclined to heat the 'van constantly, but like a quick burst of heat as-and-when, such as early in the morning; or when returning to the 'van in the evening. If you are on metered electricity (as common abroad) or non-EHU and using gas, this is also likely to influence your style of heating.

Personally, a good old-fashioned TRUMA fire, + a couple of blown-air outlets will always be my preference for my style of caravaning.

And you can still have heating by gas alone with no need for any electric. Even the blown air combi units don’t give you this backdrop.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Our washroom is Central in the van so heats up quite quick with the rest of the van . Even the rear with the kids, all that warms up quick too, the washroom is like a sauna !!

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
On a rally in January, on arrival the caravan temp inside was -1c, it took 1.5 hrs to get up to 20c on gas, however after around half an hour you could feel the heat circulating.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Have to wait a bit longer to try the heating, cancelled Mondays booking not going now until Wednesday when the weather has calmed down a bit!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have friends that have a Bailey Valencia, with the back bathroom, same layout as our Coachman Our Coachman heats up quicker with the blown air and is more controlable. From 5 c to 20 c about 15 to 20 minutes using gas and electric. The Bailey with Alde about 30 to 40 minutes. Noise wise , the Alde pump can be noisey, but so can our fan when blasting for the first 10 minutes from cold to get up to heat. Then its silent.
Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We have friends that have a Bailey Valencia, with the back bathroom, same layout as our Coachman Our Coachman heats up quicker with the blown air and is more controlable. From 5 c to 20 c about 15 to 20 minutes using gas and electric. The Bailey with Alde about 30 to 40 minutes. Noise wise , the Alde pump can be noisey, but so can our fan when blasting for the first 10 minutes from cold to get up to heat. Then its silent.
Hope this helps.

And when all around you fails the Truma heater can be used solely on gas without the need for electric. Rare but not unknown.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Way to long, we are caravanning "tourers "maybe people doing seasonal, the Alde might be better. Prefer my Blown air system.
But are Seasonal caravanners different ? I think they are.
?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
I thought you can run the Alde heating on electric, electric and gas, or gas only.

Can the heated fluid circulate solely by natural circulation without the need for a pump? If so how is the pump bypassed?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
I've used both systems and would not now consider buying a caravan with blown air heating. There is nothing to commend it, it's just archaic.

??????? :woohoo:

Horses for courses, and the hot air systems are also very capable of doing a good job.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am not in any particular camp with regard to heating system types.

But I can say that the Whale blown air system works very well for us, the only issue I have noticed is that occasionally there can be a whistling type sound from the vent closest to the fan motor, a quick nudge with a finger or toe to reposition the adjustable vent sorts that out when needed.

The rear toiletshower area is furthest away and is always very comfortable, the door is kept closed most of the time so not surprising, it is the furthest away outlet and provides more than adequate heat.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:
I thought you can run the Alde heating on electric, electric and gas, or gas only.

Can the heated fluid circulate solely by natural circulation without the need for a pump? If so how is the pump bypassed?

Both types, blown and liquid require a 12 volt supply to operate.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
EH52ARH said:
I have heard that the cost of changing the Heating fluid can be very costly this is not well advertised. .

Depends what you call very high. It's about £120 every five years if you employ your service engineer to do it as part of an annual service.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
We have just got back from a weekend away. As per the weekend when the beast from the east came in, sub zero temp and the Alde system was fantastic, very flexible and maintained temps superbly well, including overnight.
What I have found an advantage over blown heating is it doesnt irritate my Asthma as there is no air being blown about (and the dust that accumulates in the system).
Both systems work as well as each other Id say.

Kevin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts