ALDE water/heating

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone.
we are looking at caravans in the UK at the mo' , we want to take one to New Zealand, to use on a non-powered seasonal pitch.
we will have solar, gas and 2x120a/h batteries on the pitch.
There are a lot of caravans for sale with the ALDE water/heating system.
i really fancy the Lunar Clubman Saros, alongwith a dozen others!
i can't work out whether ALDE needs 220/230V to operate.
your advice, please!
thanks
Steve

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Alde wet heating will work without 230V electric - the heating can be gas, electric or both and the controls are 12v.

Be aware that Lunar went bust in 2018 and closed - getting parts is difficult here in UK so likely impossible in New Zealand.

Reactions: stevebill
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many of the caravans equipment parts will be common to most British caravans. IE fridge, heating, water pump, cooker, hitch , brakes etc etc. What could be problematic would be body panels, internal furniture and fitting , and windows/skylights etc. If it’s an older caravan my comments could equally apply to the whole caravan irrespective of maker.

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Alde wet heating will work without 230V electric - the heating can be gas, electric or both and the controls are 12v.

Be aware that Lunar went bust in 2018 and closed - getting parts is difficult here in UK so likely impossible in New Zealand.
Thanks- I hadn't realised that. Parts for almost anything are hard to get in NZ at the best of times, so your advice is much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone.
we are looking at caravans in the UK at the mo' , we want to take one to New Zealand, to use on a non-powered seasonal pitch.
your advice, please!
thanks
Steve
You are not the first person to buy in the UK and export to NZ and for personal use, and I'm not sure what the attraction is and whether its realistically a financially sensible way to do it. please think ahead, for the reasons both Roger and Clive have expressed.

Just for our education what has made you think about this approach, and what research have you done regarding costs such as transporting etc.

Surely there must be a NZ caravan company?

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
You are not the first person to buy in the UK and export to NZ and for personal use, and I'm not sure what the attraction is and whether its realistically a financially sensible way to do it. please think ahead, for the reasons both Roger and Clive have expressed.

Just for our education what has made you think about this approach, and what research have you done regarding costs such as transporting etc.

Surely there must be a NZ caravan company?
Thanks for the question! i have both NZ and UK nationality, and have just come back to look at caravans. Buying a caravan or a motorhome in NZ is crazy expensive. My mate has just sold his 1993 4 berth for £10K there.
a 2010 caravan will cost around £25/30K
Right now, I'm doing my caravan selection/packing/seafreight/ NZ internal transport/duty/GST calculations.
Add all these up, and it may not work- I need to prove it can.
the biggest issue so far is masses of conflicting information on every point!
cheers
Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I once met a Brit in south of France. He wasn retired and he told me that shipping four vans a year to NZ made the difference that allowed him to over winter in Spain extending into spring and autumn. B4 Brexit of course.

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
That opportunity has gone. Some clever people made good money and I take my hat off to them.
Changes to duties/taxes, and also the fact that an import can attract full duty, unless you have owned it for a year, is effectively closing the door.
Meantime- can I run ALDE without mains electricity?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Glossop Caravans are very experienced in shipping caravans all over the world, worth a shout. As an aside I was in Kuwait a few years back and saw several UK touring caravans over there!

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Glossop Caravans are very experienced in shipping caravans all over the world, worth a shout. As an aside I was in Kuwait a few years back and saw several UK touring caravans over there!
Thanks, that could be useful and Glossop's not far away. I'll take a look.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I missed that! Thanks.
Be very aware that during winter the ALDE system or any heating system will use up a 6kg bottle of gas in 4-5 days.

Make sure that prior to purchase of the caravan that the anti freeze and corrosion fluid in the heating system has been renewed for the 5 year life fluid. Not the easiest of DIY jobs to do as you also need to dispose of the old fluid responsibly and not down the nearest drain.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone.
your advice, please!
thanks
Steve

Might be worth checking your local electrical regulations with regards to imported caravans carefully. I did read something about Australia not accepting foreign vehicles without modifications at potential significant cost. No idea if NZ authorities are picky or not,

Steve

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Be very aware that during winter the ALDE system or any heating system will use up a 6kg bottle of gas in 4-5 days.

Make sure that prior to purchase of the caravan that the anti freeze and corrosion fluid in the heating system has been renewed for the 5 year life fluid. Not the easiest of DIY jobs to do as you also need to dispose of the old fluid responsibly and not down the nearest drain.
Thanks for that. I'll bear it in mind. You can rely on the cross between a New Zealander and a Yorkshireman to watch every penny!!

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Might be worth checking your local electrical regulations with regards to imported caravans carefully. I did read something about Australia not accepting foreign vehicles without modifications at potential significant cost. No idea if NZ authorities are picky or not,

Steve
The NZ road use rules are very picky. NZ electrical sockets are different, and the caravan will need to be certified and altered by an approved electrical installer. The caravan needs to be registered, with its own plate, and there's an MOT of sorts, too. Road tax is heaped on top. All of this costs, and is part of my calculations.

Reactions: SteveW
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The NZ road use rules are very picky. NZ electrical sockets are different, and the caravan will need to be certified and altered by an approved electrical installer. The caravan needs to be registered, with its own plate, and there's an MOT of sorts, too. Road tax is heaped on top. All of this costs, and is part of my calculations.

If it is of any consolation, a person who is "group" acquaintance on a FB caravamn group sold their Buccaneer caravan to someone in New Zealand. The Buccaneer is a twin axle. It is also 8.16m long so a larger container was required and an additional unnecessary expense. The NZ people had caravan tow hitch so that it could fit in a smaller container saving them quite a few bob.

Before it was shipped, it underwent a thorough check and service by an independent AWS technician as he was a bit wary of a dealer. One or two minor issues were found and were rectified with the seller paying the costs.

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
If it is of any consolation, a person who is "group" acquaintance on a FB caravamn group sold their Buccaneer caravan to someone in New Zealand. The Buccaneer is a twin axle. It is also 8.16m long so a larger container was required and an additional unnecessary expense. The NZ people had caravan tow hitch so that it could fit in a smaller container saving them quite a few bob.

Before it was shipped, it underwent a thorough check and service by an independent AWS technician as he was a bit wary of a dealer. One or two minor issues were found and were rectified with the seller paying the costs.
I like the idea of an AWS check. I need a 40' container anyway, there probably isn't a 4 berth caravan under 19' long. I'll have other stuff to fill the space.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I like the idea of an AWS check. I need a 40' container anyway, there probably isn't a 4 berth caravan under 19' long. I'll have other stuff to fill the space.

When looking at caravans check to see if the caravan has a built on solar panel. A Victron 300-500w inverter would be ideal to power the caravan when using off two lithium batteries. Actually one lithium may suffice?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks- I hadn't realised that. Parts for almost anything are hard to get in NZ at the best of times, so your advice is much appreciated.
The problem is basically body parts, the working items fitted are all the same as other makes, e.g. Dometic, ALKO etc., so should be as freely available as the makers parts are over there. To be honest on any make over five years old body parts will be difficult if you need them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts