Alert ! Poorly dogs in Notts

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This was on our local news but you may have not got it nationally. Apparently dogs being walked in some forestry areas in Nottinghamshire are becoming ill. Vets are investigating. So if any of you are heading Sherwood Forest way with a pooch or two, watch out for the warning signs and keep them on a lead.

LISA- I got this off the TV. Do you have any inside info from your local contacts?

mel

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mel

Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. I've just got in and haven't seen the news for a few days.

I'll cross post this. I'm not aware of this but I'll put the feelers out and report back.

Lisa xxx

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mel

The SBT community rally round LOL!

-------

This is the only information we have at the moment and it doesn't really tell anyone anything. So I guess we have to err on the side of caution as you say.

---------

Dogs die after walks in Notts wood

Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 07:48

WARNING signs have been put up at a woods near Blidworth after reports of dogs dying after falling ill.

The Forestry Commission is investigating after reports of dogs falling ill after walking at Haywood Oaks, with some dying.

Warnings have been issued to dog walkers to keep their pets on leashes.

A spokesman for the Forestry Commission said no works at the site had taken place involving any pesticides or chemicals.

He said: "It could be something else entirely unconnected."

Postmortem tests on two dogs who died after allegedly being taken on a walk in the woods have been carried out at Haywood Oaks vets in Blidworth. The results are not yet known.

---

It's probably best not to walk them in the woods. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like poisoning of some kind.

Lisa xx

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well done Lisa, knew you would have some decent info. Hopefuly caravanning visitors will have got the warning. Sounds very nasty!

mel

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You've probably heard, there's been a cyanide leak this week in the river trent.

Can't say if it's connected but re Blidworth woods, I still think it's contamination, not lung worm.

Lisa x

Keep away for a couple of months Mel.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Locally a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog died in front of his owner shortly after drinking water from a pond in a field while being taken for a walk. The post mortem shown that the water contained blue green algae, highly toxic not only to dogs but also humans, a good reason to keep your dog on a lead so you can keep your eye on her/him.

Sutton reservoir near Mansfield has been a source of this algae for years so it could be likely that this is the cause because the spores are carried on the wind or by other wildlife and Blidworth isn't that far from Sutton.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Lisa, we live near Derby. We used to live in Mansfield and near Mansfield about 12 years ago. We walked our black lab around the now affected forestry areas then but she has long since gone to the great dog whisperer in the sky. We now have an ageing border collie cross but she gets hideously travel sick so we walk her locally. I posted to give the heads up to visitors.

best wishes

mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts