alko hitch / stabiliser

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
hi folks

Homer Marge and little Maggie are about to set off for our hols with our new car and van, we have been towing for several years with an old award nightstar and 2ltr mondeo we used a bull dog stabilser and never had a problem. we are now towing a lunar clubman with a nissian x-trail. we have an alko hitch on this van and a stabiliser bar, Is there any reason to use or not to use both ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, there is a reason not to use both the Bulldog and an Alko stabiliser. The sum total effect of 2 stabilisers working together would double the forces acting on the towbar and the attachment of the towbar to the car underbody. Both components could, in the long run, suffer fatigue failure from being subjected to higher loads than they were ever designed for. This could also mean that warranty coverage on a new car is affected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is an old chestnut and Lutz and I disagree on this one (so what!)

My theory is that the most force will be applied to the towbar mountings IF the outfit gets into a violent snake.Using two stabilisers could delay or prevent this situation I feel.

It seems to me that the force applied on the towbar comes from the weight of the caravan and that this would be shared between two stabilisers and not multiplied.

I have in fact towed to Barcelona and back with two stabilisers ---the Alko and the Straightliner.

Straightliner said that it was OK(and I already had it!) but Alko said that it would put too muuch strain on the towball.

They have now brought out a more powerful stabiliser but still use the same ball.

As I asked Alko the question and they said don't use 2 I have now stopped using the straightliner.But am not convinced !!

The thing that has made more difference to my Jubilee Statesman is moving the battery (4st+) from the extreme rear corner and putting it under the fixed bed as far forward as possible in a properly vented battery box .

Thankfully the new Bailey we have on order has it mounted more sensibly over the wheel.

I'm sure that Lutz is right from a spec point of view but like to put another view as this is a forum to exchange opinions.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, John G and myself have discussed this issue before. Without repeating everything again I'd just like to add a couple of comments. The idea behind a stabiliser is to increase the stiffness of the joint between car and caravan. For integrated stabilisers like the AlKo there is an ISO standard 11555 which limits this stiffness to 350Nm. This is the maximum damping torque to which towbars and vehicle structures are designed to ensure lifetime durability.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, John G and myself have discussed this issue before. Without repeating everything again I'd just like to add a couple of comments. The idea behind a stabiliser is to increase the stiffness of the joint between car and caravan. For integrated stabilisers like the AlKo there is an ISO standard 11555 which limits this stiffness to 350Nm. This is the maximum damping torque to which towbars and vehicle structures are designed to ensure lifetime durability.
Regards John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts