Alko lock chassis protector screw.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Not sure if ive described it correctly,but im missing the chassis screw which is used whilst towing to protect screwthread.
Once I know the correct name,hopefully,I should be able to source one.🤔

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
These?

Should you be mindful of doing so, I would not improvise if that means using something "hard" as if like with my wheels things run exceedingly "close".
Should it work out a bit then it could do a lot of damage, rather than the plastic of these getting a bit knocked off its edge. Mine has against a glued on balance weight, only the plastic suffered.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can buy the yellow plastic screw in plugs on EBay or Amazon. Either singly or in multipacks. I’ve just bought a couple of new ones as they are so easy to cross thread and damage if you are not careful.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
These?

Should you be mindful of doing so, I would not improvise if that means using something "hard" as if like with my wheels things run exceedingly "close".
Should it work out a bit then it could do a lot of damage, rather than the plastic of these getting a bit knocked off its edge. Mine has against a glued on balance weight, only the plastic suffered.

Expensive as other sites offer free postage at less price too.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Now that I understand please be assured that for the last 5 years I have never fitted mine except for overwintering. Even then, only if I remember.

Absulutly no problem whatsoever.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah Ha.....
I think the important word was "Yellow".
Just searched Ebay with "Yellow"included and ive found them.
Approx.£3.45 each.free p&p.
Thanks everyone👍

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ah Ha.....
I think the important word was "Yellow".
Just searched Ebay with "Yellow"included and ive found them.
Approx.£3.45 each.free p&p.
Thanks everyone👍
Alko’s own shop do free pp at under £9 for a pack of 5.

I fit mine when travelling as if the screw thread gets damaged through grit it’s a tapping out job. During storage or on the drive at home the Alko wheel lock is used.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
Not sure if ive described it correctly,but im missing the chassis screw which is used whilst towing to protect screwthread.
Once I know the correct name,hopefully,I should be able to source one.🤔
Hi,
They are quite common,your local caravan shop should have plenty in stock.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This is an application where it is wise to protect the thread, certainly not one where any binding up of the bolt will necessarily turn out a trivial issue. The profiled "driver" is, in my experience not the most robust of couplings if asked to really apply a high torque, and if the lozenge is not moved, neither will be the van.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I simply cannot be bothered-they reside in the drawer in the caravan and won't get used -the locks are always in when sited and therefore only travelling would case any ingress-a risk I have taken so far without detecting any grit or muck and will continue to do so!

Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I seem to have been censored So I only do it up hand tight and then a bit with the wrench supplied.

You are brave, for me the supplied wrench these days is reserved solely for extracting the bolt should my fingers fail me!

My view was coloured more than a little by "helping" a poor fellow caravanner leave to go home when his "Secure's" bolt was unbelievably "locked" tight, largely due to the van having rolled back and there being no mover fitted to ease the side loading off.

That begged the question, what was to be gained by the bolt being in tension? Nearly all the Secure's" attributes are there simply by the bolt being in place, critically it still locks the wheel and meets the insurer's stated requirements.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You are brave, for me the supplied wrench these days is reserved solely for extracting the bolt should my fingers fail me!

My view was coloured more than a little by "helping" a poor fellow caravanner leave to go home when his "Secure's" bolt was unbelievably "locked" tight, largely due to the van having rolled back and there being no mover fitted to ease the side loading off.

That begged the question, what was to be gained by the bolt being in tension? Nearly all the Secure's" attributes are there simply by the bolt being in place, critically it still locks the wheel and meets the insurer's stated requirements.
Me neither-never apply anything other than just enough tension to make sure they don't drop out!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also make it more difficult to steal?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Also make it more difficult to steal?

I am not seeing a torqued up bolt making much difference to the security of this device, the more so where the obvious point of attack IMO is by "cutting" away the receiver than accessing the bolt?

Where have any successful attacks actually addressed these locks, anyone know?

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts