Alko spare wheel carrier problem

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
Following my last posting I've had a browse round and found something i should have been well aware of but was not.
Several 4x4 /SUVs have their full size spare suspended under the boot floor on a simple winch mechanism. Yo release the wheel you simply wind it down onto the ground and there appears to be sufficient extra cable to be able to pull the wheel out from under the vehicle to release the attachment device.
I guess a full size Range Rover roadwheel is likely to weigh more than the average caravan spare wheel, so that should be no problem. The device looks very much like the Prima device used on Bailey vans and seems to be available on ebay etc. for around £100 or so.
The only snag I can see is to be able to find sufficient underfloor area such that the wheel could be positioned with the winch in an accessible but acceptable position in the body of the caravan. For my Coachman 545 this looks possible by re-running the shower drain pipe around the edges of the space rather than straight across the centre, but that should not be a problem.. This would give the winch position in the space under the rear fixed bed - prefectly ok.
Has anyone tried this and if so, how did it go and which car winch was used ?
Equally can anyone see other snags ?

If you could find a scrap first generation Sorento they had a winch to lower and retrieve the full size spare wheel. It worked very well and it was a large heavy spare too.

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I was away on site last year. A couple arrived in their car minus their caravan. This turned up a few minutes later on the back of a low-loader!

Turned out they'd had a puncture on the way. They couldn't remove the spare from the Al-ko carrier as it had seized. The owner and the recovery driver were both big burly chaps and they couldn't budge it. He ended up cutting it off with a hacksaw.

Seeing that and reading this thread, I'm glad mine sits in the gas locker!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tourer-Ted said:
I was away on site last year. A couple arrived in their car minus their caravan. This turned up a few minutes later on the back of a low-loader!

Turned out they'd had a puncture on the way. They couldn't remove the spare from the Al-ko carrier as it had seized. The owner and the recovery driver were both big burly chaps and they couldn't budge it. He ended up cutting it off with a hacksaw.

Seeing that and reading this thread, I'm glad mine sits in the gas locker!

Despite the Alko carrier being a badly designed piece of kit it still requires maintenance. Your story tells me that unless the spare wheel had been fitted with a valve extender I suggest that they clearly had not checked the spare tyre pressure. Otherwise they would have discovered that the tubing had seized up. But I also wonder how many users will take their car spare out to check its pressure?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I googled "spare wheel winch" and there are several options, many for land-rover vehicles, of the LR winches there are two types, one uses a socket drive the other has an eyelet that a hooked winder handle will fit to, the one with the eyelet would be my preference.

If you google "spare wheel winch" then click on the image tab for more ideas.

Example of winder handle below, actually the Bailey one, my caravan came with the winder missing so I made one myself, but you can buy the Bailey for £8.00 or so: https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1490454/winder-handle-for-spare-wheel-carrier.

A quick look tells me that the LR Discovery type have the eyelet design, I am sure that there are other options for different vehicle brands.

So if a bit of DIY is your thing then a new winch can be had for 1/3rd to 1/2 theprice of thePrima Leisure Bailey offer, a second hand used one then obviously expect to pay less.

I attach a video to give an idea of how they are set up, bit long but I only include it for illustration purposes; fitting something similar to a caravan would be on the same principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJzjBvQZws

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
While we are on about spare wheels etc, does your service agent always remove the spare wheel to check pressure etc as that should be part of the service? We do not have the ALKO bracket on our current caravan, but found out the hard way that on the previous caravan this was never checked!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....the joke spare wheel carrier is just that :eek:hmy:

It is simply over engineered......difficult to service and difficult or virtually impossible to remove in a puncture scenario.

See Here

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to the last part of my original posting in which I said i had referred the problem to Coachman, I have at last had a reply which states that i should contact my dealer as they ( Coachman) have not heard of this problem before !!
I have replied indicating that this is a constructional problem over which the dealer ha no influence and have asked for the matter to be referred to Technical Director Coachman.
If you have the patience - watch this space.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
These days my spare wheel is under the bed, it seems that in many cases the spare wheel never comes off the carrier what is needed is plenty of grease so the carrier comes apart easily, the other problem is that caravanners are not familar with jacking up a caravan with a flat tyre, last one I had was years ago,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
These days my spare wheel is under the bed, it seems that in many cases the spare wheel never comes off the carrier what is needed is plenty of grease so the carrier comes apart easily, the other problem is that caravanners are not familar with jacking up a caravan with a flat tyre, last one I had was years ago,
Assume you mean the caravan bed and not the house bed. :)

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I thought everyone took their spare wheel home to prop up the bed,, joking apart the spare is in its own wheel cover under the fixed double caravan bed, just need a flat now to prove a point that it is a lot easier to have your spare under the caravan bed :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having referred the matter back to Coachman, I have received a further reply which fails to reply to most of the matters i raised and again requests I consult the dealer. It also contains the statement that the carrier has been used for some 15 years and this is the first complaint received.
Many others must be better at recognising a lost cause than I am.

I do not have the inclination or energy to take this further but I am actively investigating alternatives.

In the correspondence there have been quite a number of statements about greasing the tubes to ensure ease of movement. In the AlKo manual on the spare wheel carrier supplied with the caravan is a paragraph headed MAINTENANCE. The final sentence reads 'The tubes should not be greased'

Thanks to all who have contributed

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a contradiction here now, in the handbook for my 2013 fitted ALKO spare wheel carrier, on page 5 under maintainence it states that the tubes Should be cleaned and greased every time the carrier is extend. The carrier now lives behind one of the garden sheds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phase 2.
Decided to investigate type of winch used on Bailey caravans Looks ok but appears to be only available from Bailey dealers who - up to now - appear to be extremely reluctant to sell it to a non Bailey owner, with all sorts of caveats about taking no responsibility, may damage floor etc. and not being prepared to confirm it is suitable for a wheel which - from website details - appears to virtually identical in size and tyre to those fitted to current Bailey vans of equivalent weight to my Coachman.
I assume the winch fits under the floor, bolts coming up through the floor and then into a load spreader plate with locknuts at the top ?
I would be most grateful if any Bailey owners who have this device could confirm this assumption and perhaps give some idea of the size of the load spreading plate.

A much cheaper alternative would be to use the Range/Land Rover type winch available on ebay. But cannot find any fitting or dimensional information. Assume in both casess the winch body has to fit into the deeper recess in the spare wheel - i.e. that which is on the insdie of the fitted wheel.
Again would appreciate any ideas from ownersof such vehicles.

Finlally - no surprise - my letter to Technical Director AlKo UK has not been answered.

Aug 7, 2021
Visit site
I have a Volvo XC90 for towing the caravan and on some models they have a wind down winch for a space saver tyre. Mine didn’t have a spare, only a puncture repair compressor, although the space was there. I bought the winch, fitted it and now keep my spare under the Volvo. As it’s a very small unit, it could be easily fitted under the caravan, so looking now at the best location for this.

Attachments

• 91C98A5F-84EF-44FF-8960-29C9DFA06C37.jpeg
    91C98A5F-84EF-44FF-8960-29C9DFA06C37.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 11
May 24, 2014
Visit site
All the suggestions for a replacement are all very well, but how to use it if its all you have. Well for me the answer is fairly simple. Before wrestling with the thing, stick your ramp in front of the wheel and tow it up. Its the safest way even if your flat is on that side and it will give you clearance to work. Also its pays to grease and operate the thing regularly so it slides easily when you need it.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agree with that. Put if you only use it for a very short journey and take your time, you should be fine. Also, you could keep less pressure in it, and inflate it fully when fitted. Its not ideal but its the best workaround i can think of.

I always treat my caravan spare as if its a space saver anyway.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you have run the caravan on a fully flat tyre, then you have probably damaged the side wall of the tyre, And would need a replacment.

Reactions: Graham1955
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im only talking about pulling it 1 foot up the ramp. I would never advocate towing on a fully flat tyre, as not only would you totally kill the tyre but probably damage your rims.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
The thing that concerned me, was not the unloading, as you say, pull it up on a ramp, it was more the indentations to the tyre

Yup. I'm surprised others had not mentioned this way back in the thread.

The indents made into the tyre sidewall by the carrier are pretty scary. This was one aspect of the contraption that persuaded me to give the wheel a new home in the front locker.

Anyone contemplating this will find that the central "wing nut" taken from the carrier is ideal for securing the spare against the bulkhead. I glued and screwed a piece of timber to my bulkhead to strengthen the support point and after a couple of years everything is fine and the wheel itself in as new condition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts