alko stabalizer and 4x4

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if anybody could advise on the correct use of the Alko Stablizer. Let me explain.

I am new to caravanning and tow a Sterling Eccles Moonstone with a Landrover Freelander. My problem is when hitching up, I am not able to put the Alko Stabalizer handle in full upright position, only partial due to the spare wheel mount. I already have a spacer fitted on the towbar, so cannot extend this further.

What I do is hitch up and partially raise the stabalizer handle. Once hitched, I can lower the handle in place to grip the towball. I am sure it is working as expected. I don't experience any snaking etc., but as new to caravaning I just need to make sure that this is working correctly.

I understand that an attachment is available from Alko to allow hitching correctly for 4x4 with the same problem at a cost of about £25, but is this needed ? If the view is this will not be working fully as it needs to be in upright position first, then I will go ahead and purchase.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ive got the same problem with terrano,i usually lift handle half way open the door fully,move caravan forward lift handle all the way and drop on towball,put down handle and close the door.some times the j/w winder will catch if caravan not in line with car.i have bought the handle attachment and it works fine,bit of a chew changing back and forth but it alleviates the problem

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
I have a Vauxhall Frontera and i hitched the caravan on it for the first time at the weekend and what i did was to push the Alko handle down, open the rear door lift handle up hitch onto car push handle down, close door and away you go. A bit of messing about but practice makes perfect.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't know about the Frontera but I can't adopt the same procedure with my Monterey because the jockey wheel handle hits the rear door when I try to open it. This prevents me from hitching or unhitching at all if the car is standing to the left - I have to make sure that the car is standing straight or, better still, to the right otherwise, no chance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
have just noticed you said you lowered the alko stabaliser on hitch when handle only half raised.you should really stop doing this as you are damaging the friction pads.as the handle is only half way up,you are forcing the tow ball through the friction pads (as they are already in the ready to grip position) and really not doing them any good at all

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
It seems to depend upon the position of the spare wheel in relation to the tow ball. I have a Discovery which has a rear bumper and tow ball that protrude quite far so they are in line with the spare wheel, beacause of this the Alko fits on with no trouble at all. With the Freelander the spare wheel sticks out further than the towball.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I did a search of alko web site and found an article suggesting the handle needs to be fully upright when hitching as damage could be caused. This was suggested within this thread. So..

Under circumstances bought the small handle from Alko specially made for this and used for first time last weekend. Lo and behold hitched and unhitched with no problems.

Only problem I had was pitch was on a minor incline and to unhitch was proving difficult. Therefore without thinking released the handbrake to allow slight movement which allowed the towball to be unhitched. Did this without applying chocks behind wheels. The van shot back a foot or so but fortunately still had the brake cable round the towball which forced the handbrake on. So very lucky ! Will never make same mistake again !

Once again thanks for your feedback.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You Could always buy a decent towcar like a Santa Fe,Terracan,Tuscon,Sorrento,Sportage or Lexus,BMW,Mercedes etc,etc problem solved,no hassle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts